Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

Post by HERMAN BIX »

tankme wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Hmm I didn’t say I wouldn’t, but I won’t need too……….
(Sigh) but I’ve promised no More tanks until I do the ones I have :'(
Better not be a 122 version popping up anywhere, that would force a clash of morals!

Artem just joined the forums and he could probably makes one... :)
Youre not helping !!! :'(
(lalalalalalalala)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Regards,
Jaap :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

:/ oh now youre not helping either !!!! :S
How am I going to keep my feeble promise when you jokers keep feeding me "sugar" ??!!
Lucky its a JS tank not an ISU 122 Assault gun ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

He wants one of these... :)
Screenshot 2021-10-28 014150.jpg
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

HERMAN BIX wrote:

:/ oh now youre not helping either !!!! :S
How am I going to keep my feeble promise when you jokers keep feeding me "sugar" ??!!
Lucky its a JS tank not an ISU 122 Assault gun ;)

And
The ISU-122 was produced in two different modifications. 1- with A-19 cannon. 2. With a gun D-25. P.s. Design work on the conversion kit ISU-152/122/122K has long been completed. There will be a presentation in December
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I've always liked the ISU-122S with the big ball mantlet and long D-25. It'll be on my to-do list at some point!

It took longer to get here than I was hoping, I've been busy at work and getting the solid CAD drawing into a printable state was more involved than I'd planned. I've managed some test prints over the last two weeks though, and it's finally getting somewhere!
IMG20211107151530.jpg
A comparison to my sculpted Milliput attempt from four and a half years ago. Where's the time gone? The printed one's much more dimensionally accurate and is only a fraction of the weight, so it'll put much less strain on the elevation servo mechanism.
IMG20211114172736.jpg
Looks the business when it's all assembled! I also designed and printed a replacement muzzle brake, the aluminium one I had was slightly off-centre and it always bugged me. I've also added detail for the mounting bolts, the resolution's good enough that the slotted head of the screw is visible.
IMG20211114172936.jpg
A much better looking profile now:
IMG20211114173737.jpg
I've run into a problem, though. Now that I'm using more accurate references and have nearly got rid of the parts I had to compromise with, I've realised that the gun is mounted about 5 millimetres too far towards the vehicle's centreline. I'm worried that if I continue, the driver's visor (and its cover), the headlight, the horn and the pistol port will all be too crowded. I think I have three options:
  • - do nothing about it and improvise/adapt/overcome later,
    - hack apart the styrene casement and move everything to the vehicle's right,
    - design and print an entirely new replacement casement.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas, gents! What should I do next?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Glad you are back & doing things for you !
I reckon print a new casemate.
- it will prove you can
- it will leave you with a bunch of bits you can sell for someone to make a 152 out of
- the accuracy you crave can be achieved without going a long way back to go forward.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Raminator wrote: I've run into a problem, though. Now that I'm using more accurate references and have nearly got rid of the parts I had to compromise with, I've realised that the gun is mounted about 5 millimetres too far towards the vehicle's centreline. I'm worried that if I continue, the driver's visor (and its cover), the headlight, the horn and the pistol port will all be too crowded. I think I have three options:
  • - do nothing about it and improvise/adapt/overcome later,
    - hack apart the styrene casement and move everything to the vehicle's right,
    - design and print an entirely new replacement casement.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas, gents! What should I do next?
If I read your post, you want to make a new replacement casement ;)

by the way, it is an awesome and very impressive vehicle when you are standing in front of it :O
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

After taking a closer look at the styrene casemate, moving the mantlet isn't an option. The mounting points are made of several layers of styrene sheet laminated with plastic cement, so nothing will move without a significant application of violence. I will attempt to print a new one, so this'll be the third casemate and second hull I've used. And I wonder why I never finish anything! :/

I've been drawing up a new casemate during the evenings this week, and I think I'm making some pretty good progress. I've been using photos of the surviving vehicles in Kubinka and Lubusz, alongside a handful of blueprints.
casemate_01.jpg
casemate_02.jpg
Still some more details to work on, and I'll need to spend some time cutting it all up to make it printable. Things like the bolt heads, desantniki handrails and tool clamps will be done in brass instead of printed, I've just included them in the drawings to make sure everything fits. Should start making some progress soon!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Which now begs the question....................what are you intending on doing with the set up you have already hmmmmm ?? :shifty: :think:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”