Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Juckenburg/Taigen SU-152, Kursk 1943

Post by Raminator »

I'm glad you've all been enjoying following along, thank you for the encouragement everyone! I appreciate it.
c.rainford73 wrote:Looking good! Where did you source those lovely exhaust for your Build? I could use a set for my kv-2. Smoking looks excellent
These are the Schumo parts for the Tamiya KV kits, they're cast in nickel-silver. They're pretty expensive, but I think they're worth the cost. There are some cheaper two-piece white metal ones available too, but they look far too bulky and don't have the right shape.
jackalope wrote:Where'd you find that conversion kit?
I got in touch with Herr Juckenburg shortly after he announced his retirement and he agreed to make one last kit for me. MK-Modellbau have bought the moulds and are going to start selling his stuff, though.
Jake79 wrote:Damn you get a lot of smoke coming out of those exhaust's Ram. Did you change any of the settings on the SD card for the smoker? I can barely see the smoke coming out of my Kv.
Nope, smoker settings are all at their default values. I have the heater element wired up directly to the battery though, the IBU2 only controls the fan speed.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Long time, no updates. My computer shat itself fairly spectacularly about a month ago, so I haven't been able to check in until I got a new one up and running. I've been making slow progress anyway, I wasted nearly two weeks trying to build functioning hinges for the various crew hatches until I realised that I'd been working from two separate sets of measurements that were never going to reconcile and then gave up.

Instead, here are some pictures of the things that actually turned out alright!
  • IMAG0707.jpg
Driver's hatch, rainguard, headlight and horn. The hatch and headlight are from the Tamiya KV-1 A sprue, with a reflector made out of 0.2 mm aluminium sheet and an SMD LED. The wires run through the conduit (1.5 mm stainless steel tubing) into the hull itself. The rainguard is brass that I heated over a flame and melted into position, so I'm hoping that it'll stay in place despite its fragility. The horn is scratchbuilt out of a 1/4" brass ferrule with some fine steel gauze bent into shape with the back end of a 6 mm drillbit. The bolts are styrene.
  • IMAG0709.jpg
Periscopes in place, I ended up using the resin kit pieces after an embarrassingly rubbish attempt at making my own out of brass. I thinned the resin parts down and filled the bubbles with Mr Surfacer. I'm planning on hiding the signalling LEDs inside the periscopes with reflectors to make them visible from outside the tank, similar to how I hid them in my T-34/76's turret ventilator.
  • IMAG0711.jpg
Scratchbuilt transmission hatches, the kit pieces were so thin they were translucent. You can nearly see through them! These are a bit more robust and have the characteristic flat spot, though I may have mis-measured and overdone them. I also added the coolant filler cap in the engine deck hatch.
  • IMAG0712.jpg
Loader's hatches in place, just waiting on some functional hinges. They will need to be fairly strong since the tank's control deck lives underneath, which means they'll be getting a lot of use. I'll have another crack at fabricating them, and if that fails again I might need to look into these 3D printing shenanigans. Otherwise, more detailing!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Raminator good to see you back This tank is coming out excellent! The details are off the charts. I happened to be searching the web yesterday and saw some very nice (small) brass hinges and hardware on eBay. These would be robust enough for you unless you want to attempt to build your own

Following along

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Here's the link. I figure you could build up the edges with milliput to create welds

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.de/itm/152492938415
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Cheers Carl, I might be able to rework those into shape to match the real ones.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Nice update raminator and thx for the eBay link Mr. C. They sell the regular stuff, but at least you can order these indeed individually, like all the separate tools, without paying more for the shipping, than for the item itself.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looking tougher than the back wall of a firing range mate.............

My favorite Soviet AFV by a long shot, and this is a winner for sure.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looking tougher than the back wall of a firing range mate.............

My favorite Soviet AFV by a long shot, and this is a winner for sure.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Re: Juckenburg/Taigen hybrid SU-152 (early production)

Post by Raminator »

With the T-34/76 project mostly complete, I dug this out of storage to get back to work on it. However, in the intervening months (year!) the epoxy holding the casemate to the upper hull had perished and the whole thing popped right off. Since I wasn't super happy with the resin kit anyway, I took this as a sign to try something else.
  • IMAG1013.jpg
I'm going to use Christian Ludwig's SU-152 kit as a base, with the metal gun I already had and the Milliput mantlet I sculpted last year. I spent some time checking all the dimensions against my blueprints, and everything matches nicely. Even though the kit is designed for the smaller Juckenburg gun mount and mantlet, my chopped and sculpted one fits in and lines up exactly as it should.
  • IMAG1016.jpg
It won't take much adjustment to get everything to fit as it should, and much of the work I'd done to mount the gun will be reusable. It didn't take long to get the casemate cemented together.
  • IMAG1017.jpg
The insides will be getting a revamp as well, the IBU2 has been replaced with an OP TCB. Once I figure out how far the gun recoil intrudes into the fighting compartment, I'll have a better idea of how to mount the electronics (TCB, TBS, ESC) without the servo mechanism crashing into them. Things will be a little back and forth, but it's good to get this kickstarted again!
Raminator

Re: Juckenburg/Taigen hybrid SU-152 (early production)

Post by Raminator »

Managed to reuse the old gun mount, so we're looking like we means business again.
  • IMAG1020.jpg
I've got another of the Clark recoil units that I shoehorned into my T-34, I'd much prefer to use it than the crappy linkage system I designed last year. I'm not sure how I'll go about fitting the full range of traverse and elevation with it though, and I don't want to end up less functional than it was before. It may require some outside-the-box thinking.

Return to “Other Builds”