Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Juckenburg/Taigen SU-152, Kursk 1943

Post by Soeren »

Wow..... That look fantastic :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Raminator this is a work of art. Really impressed. Coming along nicely I see. Following your progress excellent details.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Cheers for the kind words everyone, hope you're enjoying following along.

Just spent the better part of three days and half a box of Milliput sculpting a new front mantlet. I'm not normally one to toot my own horn, but this is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm quite proud of how it's turned out. I'll use Tamiya putty to give it a nice rough cast texture (and cover up any imperfections along the way!)
  • IMAG0628.jpg
    IMAG0629.jpg
    IMAG0630.jpg
    IMAG0631.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
Much closer to scale size compared to the kit part, even if it's a just a tad too long. It matches the blueprints I've been working from, but seems a little bit longer than period photos.
  • IMAG0634.jpg
    IMAG0635.jpg
With everything here fully functional and in situ, this should wrap up most of the structural stuff. I should sort out the drivetrain and suspension next, and wrap up work on the lower hull. After that should be the detailing, little brass bolts everywhere!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Lokking great Raminator, especailly when compared to photos of the real thing
http://www.militaryfactory.com/imagevie ... ntPic=pic1

Great work. :clap: :clap: Following along.
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

Haven't had a look at this build for while..it's really moving on. Cracking work Mr Raminator, I wish my building skills were up to your standards. Good stuff mate.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"Toot" away mate..............thats a whole lot of effort right there.
Good to know that even the Jukenburg legend needs improving :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Thanks guys, glad you've been finding this interesting!

Spent the last two weeks getting the internals sorted. I may have been overoptimistic when I said I could park a jumbo jet in the hull, the FRS7s are a lot bigger in real life than I'd envisaged in my mind's eye. It took nearly three evenings' worth of work to build the front speakerbox; it needs to be angled to fit under the front glacis and short enough to fit under the trunnions for the main gun, while being tall enough to clear the torsion bars. You can't see it in the photos, but the box extends between the first and second sets of torsion bars and the left and right suspension mounts. It's actually made of 26 individual pieces of styrene.
  • IMAG0649.jpg
    IMAG0650.jpg
I had to mount the TPA separately from the IBU since the long servo breech for the main gun will foul it if it's attached directly. I made up a short jumper cable to suit, and attached the TPA itself to the underside of the control deck.
  • IMAG0651.jpg
The on/off and smoker switches and volume potentiometers are accessible under the loader's hatch. Even running the system off a 2S LiPo, the TPA pumps out plenty of volume through the FRS7s. I wanted loud, and I got it. 8)
  • IMAG0652.jpg
Also found the time for a little light detail work while waiting for glue to dry and cement to cure with the internals, first up is the shell loading hatch on the right-hand side of the hull. This saved the crew from having to lug the forty kilo shells all the way up to the top of the casement.
  • IMAG0656.jpg
Made up the correct-shaped round shackle mounts and some oxy-cut edges for the side panels. I'm hoping that the tracks will protect the Milliput from any frontal impacts. Suspension installed and adjusted, it took a whole night to get the stance right without the tank sagging in the rear or standing too tall. The tracks are probably a tiny bit too slack, but photos of KVs/SUs and ISs/ISUs in action all seem to have them fairly loose. Haven't tried any outdoor driving yet, but they grip well and don't slip at all on very tractive carpet.

I need to get the Tarr smoker installed next, plumbing the exhausts in will be a bit of a challenge. I also need to fit the flash unit and battle system, and then the whole vehicle will be fully functional. Detailing and painting in the near future!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that's one of the neatest organized tank interiors ever constructed. Very impressive layout and switches on your control panel. Speakers and enclosures are top notch!

Somewhat of a masterpiece in its own right....

Until you complete the exterior of course

I too have a Taigen lower hull and with the slack as you have presented these heavy tracks work flawlessly for me.

I think it's due to the design and layout of the kV series.

Following along-

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

You're too kind, Carl. It's going to go to my head! :{

Hooking the exhausts up wasn't as straightforward as I was expecting until I settled on a design for it.
  • IMAG0657.jpg
    IMAG0659.jpg
Tubing from the Tarr goes into a muffler-like box that redistributes the smoke to the exhaust pipes. The Schumo parts in the upper hull slot into holes in the muffler, with a foam gasket to seal the joint. Haven't been able to give it a proper test run yet, since I accidentally ordered the 12 volt version of the smoker and I can only fit a 2S LiPo in here. I'll need to hold off on it until I can get a replacement fan since the IBU2 doesn't put out enough voltage to kick the fan over.
  • IMAG0660.jpg
While the cement was curing, I built up the mounting bracket for the hydraulic pump that serviced the recuperator for the recoil system. Early production SU-152s had this in the centre of the hull, later production vehicles had it offset to the left of the vehicle (for the obvious reason that the gun is on the right).
  • IMAG0661.jpg
Here's where it's at now. I might leave the lower hull until I can get the voltage step-up and replacement fan for the smoker, so I think proper workable hatches are the next on the list.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Very impressive on many levels. The interior layout is very well done. Does each speaker serve a separate sound card or are both in tandem on one card ?
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen

Return to “Other Builds”