WSN T34 Recoil

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

WSN T34 Recoil

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have a WSN T34 which ha been fitted with a Clark T22 Board. I understand that I need to fit a servo to enable the recoil, rather than use the existing. I found a post back in 2015 where MichaelC had done this, which had a picture.
WSN T34 with Clark Servo Recoil.jpg
WSN T34 with Clark Servo Recoil.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Unfortunately, I can not see the detail of how the servo is fixed in place or how it is connected to the recoil slide. This will be the first time I have attempted this, so any help would be much appreciated.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: WSN T34 Recoil

Post by MichaelC »

silversurfer, the recoil is superglued to the side of the existing housing, and the linkage arm is hook onto the stock recoil rod and the red gear from the existing recoil is only there as a stopper.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thank you - fairly obvious I suppose, but like I said I'm new to messing about with the inside of tanks.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Quick tip. Plug the servo into the board and power it up so that it self centers, then fire the gun so that you can see which way it rotates. You need to position the arm on the servo so that the end is pulling in a straight line, this avoids pulling sideways on the barrel which creates excess friction an avoids the barrel twisting when it slides.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

OK, I've done that. The servo rotates anti-clockwise through about 90 degrees. Ideally, I would like it to go clockwise. Is there a way to reverse it? From what I can tell, the barrel recoil is about 13mm and it would be more of a direct line pull if the servo goes the other way. Strictly speaking, that should be a straight line push, as the recoil is spring loaded towards the fully recoiled position.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

You can reverse it if you have the remote to program it. I think Bogeyman has got one?

If there is a spring on there is there any way to remove it. A spring pushing on the servo is not a good idea as it puts pressure on the gears, it will move forwards and backwards under servo power, and the board will make it move correctly, eg fast back, slow forwards.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Richard, you just need to change the programming on the Clark board. It is Real Recoil direction. You should be able to find that on the Clark website. I can't remember it offhand.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thank again gents. I have a Clark programmer, and a copy of the instructions, which contain an awful lot of information. It will require a thorough read though. Brings to mind something that was repeated said to us at school. To read, mark, learn and inwardly digest!.I will remove the spring. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Edit: Having read the instructions, I have found the RealRecoil reversal bit. However, it would seem that i need the battle system fully installing before I can change anything. It looks like I would also have to unplug the servo and fit a jumper as well.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

OK, so this is what has happened. The tank was fitted with a Clark TK22, but due to a lack of connections all it would do was drive, rotate the turret, and the gun went bang. I have tried to wire everything up now, including IR sensors and emitter. This is what I now have.
phpBB [video]
I tried the Clark programmer, but could not get any reaction from the tank, so I fiddled around with the servo and, with it still rotating anti-clockwise, the recoil is as above. I also seem to have got the red LED to flash at the right time. Can't tell about the IR stuff, but the one thing which does not work is the gun elevation. On the old WSN board, it was one of those continually raise and lower systems. Now nothing at all - it was not working before I started, so at least I have not made it worse..

Any comments on the recoil or the elevation problem would be welcome.
Richard
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Richard, the recoil is working on the video ?!?!? Also, Clark controls the up down separately so you will need to make sure the elevation motor wires goes into pin 4/5 of the 8 pin plug.

Return to “Other Builds”