Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

Post by Dr Phibes »

Having more or less got to the end of my KT build (for now) I though it's about time to introduce my next project, the beautiful 100% metal Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer. I must admit that, like many, I so like the metal finish I'm almost reluctant to tarnish it with paint! But, having spent some time on researching this Sherman based TK, there is much work to be done to get the little beauty up to scratch.
So, here it is out of the nice new shiny metal effect case it came in (which I don't have a pic of).
Apologies for the less than great pics - I'm just not too good at it :crazy: This is the RTR version and come with a Clark TK22 installed along with an IR receiver (1), a indicator LED, and a dual function IR emitter/flash LED in the gun barrel. What you see in the picture is, however, a somewhat tidied up (by me) view of what's under the hood. The wiring was, frankly, a bit of a mess but as I will be stripping and rebuilding this is not an issue for me. The gearboxes are very nice - all steel and ball-raced - and it runs very well out the box with no issues beyond a little track adjustment. :D
Next will be the breakdown for the upcoming modifications and additions.................... 8O
Attachments
20160415_031936.jpg
20160416_225211.jpg
20160415_035523.jpg
20160415_034615.jpg
20160416_222520.jpg
20160415_034952.jpg
20160416_222158.jpg
20160415_034331.jpg
Arrival 01.jpg
Last edited by Dr Phibes on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

Post by jackalope »

I wish you better luck with yours then the 1 I got.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Dr. P.,
It is amazing to look at ( and drool over )! The only mini-naggy bit that I can see is that the barrel for the M2 is upside down.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

jackalope wrote:I wish you better luck with yours then the 1 I got.
jackalope, yes, I read about your problems and I was sad to hear you were having so much disappointment. To be honest it's early days yet but, as I say, so far it's been fine. I do think though that Mato need to up their game regarding QC, these are not cheap tanks.

painless, yep, that's one of the things I spotted too. Actually I think the handle on the M2 barrel revolves but, as mounted here, it would be in the wrong place because (obviously) it is right in line of sight. The idea would be use the grip to move the M2 from it's resting place on the back of the turret 'bustle' and then pull it downside (I assume).
Fortunately I decided anyway that the Mato M2 was not sufficiently detailed being in such a prominent place so I'm in the process already of building a new one from Tamiya and photo etch parts. It won't be full metal :( but I can live with it for the much higher detail in this case.
Atnas666
Private

Post by Atnas666 »

Hi there. Nice looker
ilkerronur
Recruit

Post by ilkerronur »

Dr Phibes wrote:
jackalope wrote:I wish you better luck with yours then the 1 I got.
jackalope, yes, I read about your problems and I was sad to hear you were having so much disappointment. To be honest it's early days yet but, as I say, so far it's been fine. I do think though that Mato need to up their game regarding QC, these are not cheap tanks.

painless, yep, that's one of the things I spotted too. Actually I think the handle on the M2 barrel revolves but, as mounted here, it would be in the wrong place because (obviously) it is right in line of sight. The idea would be use the grip to move the M2 from it's resting place on the back of the turret 'bustle' and then pull it downside (I assume).
Fortunately I decided anyway that the Mato M2 was not sufficiently detailed being in such a prominent place so I'm in the process already of building a new one from Tamiya and photo etch parts. It won't be full metal :( but I can live with it for the much higher detail in this case.
Are you there ?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Looks really really cool! Solid looking too..gears..wheels..the way it all fits etc.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

handle on the ma deuce is locked at six pm.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

That statement almost sounded like an encrypted message lol
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

The crow flies south at midnight...

Return to “Other Builds”