Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Re: Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

Post by Dr Phibes »

Continuing from last post.................

In these pictures is the carriage (underside) assembled with the mechanism in place, alone with the ejector lever, recoil servo, etc.
Breech 19.jpg
Breech 20.jpg
And here are some images of the completed cannon with some further components - i.e the elevation quadrant, instrument lights, elevation handwheel, breech handle, etc.
Breech 21.JPG
Breech 22.JPG
Breech 23.JPG
Breech 24.JPG
And some ammunition of sorts :D
Breech 25.jpg
Finally, it came to the testing bit 8O . Here is a video clip of the completed gun in action. It's a very quick and rough job and I will make a better one later but it shows the overall function well enough (apologies for loss of sound on last example/demo but I left it in anyway).
The recoil action opens the breech and locks the breech block in place for the next shell (I use blanks of course in the demo :haha:). The breech can be opened with the operating handle, or by manually pushing down on the block. The recoil distance is a tad farther than scale I think but I don't plan to play with it further. There were problems with barrel 'stiction' and the recoil cylinders and sleeves needed a lot of re-working and tinkering. I few adjustments initially but it now functions reliably. The tricky bit was to come - how, in this quite modified state, I was going to get it back in the turret!
phpBB [video]
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Unbelievable precision work
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
...and the prize for Best Build of the MATO M36B1 goes to Doc Phibes!... Welcome back, Doc! You fellows with the 3D printers can do heretofore unbelievable things with RC tanks. I was happy to just get the breech to 'look' a little more realistic. You have taken it to Level Infinity.
regards and still following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

Just :O 8O 8O 8O :crazy:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

A clinic on scale modeling absolutely brilliant
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That set up raises the hobby to a level at the top of Mount Olympus
You should be very proud of what you have achieved in scale,
Good luck recovering all the spent cases from the inside of the turret though!!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That set up raises the hobby to a level at the top of Mount Olympus
You should be very proud of what you have achieved in scale,
Good luck recovering all the spent cases from the inside of the turret though!!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks Painless, Carl, Herman, Eddy, Silver, and everyone, it's great to be back too although I never really went away - Iv'e been keeping an eye when I could on some of the fantastic work being done here just didn't have time to comment which, once I have finished updating this thread, I will catch up with.
Painless, yes the 3D printing does open up a lot of possibilities I found, not least of which was being able to prototype parts as you go. Can still do it scratch building the usual way of course but the 3D printer really speeds us the process, especially when you can't pin down exact measurements for a particular part.
Next will be the turret modifications and getting it all back together 8O :D
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Moving on the the turret itself.

The next step was to modify the turret to accommodate the new breech and, as I suggested earlier, to provide as much room as possible for at least the semblance of a turret basket and hull floor. In this picture Is the turret base plate that the gear ring attaches to (below the plate in the picture). What I did here was to remove all the material inside the circumference, including the original mounting points for the gear ring, leaving just enough to provide for four new mounting points (see pic) which I planned to do with the gear ring too. The Plate before the mod is in the inset picture.
Gear Ring 03.JPG

To the left of this image is turret base plate with the now similarly modifies gear ring. Much of the inner material has now been removed and the four aluminium posts with matching bolts provide greater rigidity than the original three point fixing. I also provided extra depth for a slip ring to be placed between the turret and upper hull deck when all is assembled.
To the right is the lower section of the turret shell with the elevation servo now in its new forward location. This had to be relocated to make room for the new breech recoil and shell ejection and, besides which, it helps hide the elevation servo too.
Gear Ring 04.JPG
Here is the lower turret shell with the new bottom plate and gear ring assembly in place. The arrow in the image points to one of the three metal gear ring bearings which I later decided to remove - a case of form over function on this occasion, as it was visually too distracting behind the breech even though it didn't limit function in any way.
Gear Ring 05.JPG
Next up was a review of the ready racks. I wanted to provide a better interpretation of the tubes that hold the shells so set about fabricating some parts to extend the them a little.
Gear Ring 06.JPG
Here the extensions are now in place. The racks themselves also had to be re-positioned a little further apart as the gap between them left by Mato was too narrow for the shell casing to easily fit (this was the reason for the gap, for ejection and loading of a 3 foot long shell). Also the lefthand (loaders) side rack had one less tube (at the bottom) to allow for easier manoeuvring of shells so a bit more chop, chop was needed. The old Mato servo mount, seen in the behind the racks, I placed there to add a little more counter-balance weight and, more importantly, as a backstop for the ejecting shell casings.
Gear Ring 07.jpg
And now with the lower and upper halfs of the turret shell back together.
Gear Ring 08.jpg
Ready racks finished and painted.
Gear Ring 10.JPG
The next step was the one I was really putting off, getting the complete cannon and breech back into the turret. I knew I had checked and re-checked, and then checked again my measurements so was sure, in principle, it should fit but you know, what they say about the law of the sod...... 8O
Reassemble-Breech01.JPG
However, a tight fit it was, but fit it did. Notice the now re-positioned elevation servo at the front left of the turret. Having connected this to its new fixing place on the cannon I was pleased this too worked as I had hoped. This was aided by a very well-balanced cannon fulcrum that was a fortunate side-effect of the additional hardware building the new breech.
Reassemble-Breech02.JPG
And, thankfully further testing showed the breech to work as well in place as it did before without any snags.
Reassemble-Breech03.JPG
Next is the faux turret basket and Hull floor, etc.
Artyfist
Lance Corporal

Post by Artyfist »

FANTASTIC!!
Torro Sherman
Torro King Tiger

Return to “Other Builds”