Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Mato M36B1 Tank Destroyer (full metal)

Post by PainlessWolf »

Doc!
The M10 build I will be working on (eventually) will be one of the resin kits on sale here from the Forum. I will use a new lower hull on it but will use either a Taigen or Torro lower. I will definitely be getting together with you for an assist in tricking out that open top turret.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
The fellow responsible for all of this largesse
The fellow responsible for all of this largesse
Bags of parts, treats and added on goodies!
Bags of parts, treats and added on goodies!
Quality resin casting
Quality resin casting
...Here for the Dawn...
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Hey Doc,

Did you keep the stock idler wheel? Something kept bugging me, and last night while I was adjusted the tension on the M36, I realized they're wrong.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Hi Maccrage, the idlers on this M36 are indeed stock. As far as I know they are a fair approximation to the original although the concentric adjuster are not exact. In particular the cross head screws (of course) should be bolts and the rear door and exhaust are in the wrong place. You can see this in my lower hull build pics, but perhaps this isn't what you mean? Hope this helps a little anyway.

Painless, that is a superb collection of M10 parts and I'm really looking forward to you doing your stuff with it. I'm also in awe at the number of sources for parts you seem to have up your sleeve too - I hadn't a clue anyone was putting together this sort of M10 kit. And, of course, I'd be very happy to provide what assistance I can :thumbup: , though your own skills and experience with RC tanks clearly exceed mine by some margin!
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

The Mato idler wheel is wrong. It looks like they were trying for the 6 spoke version, but added extra spokes or ribs.

They don't match any idlers actually used.

Check here:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... nsion.html
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
While weird looking, that extra rib idler was indeed used. I distinctly remember seeing it in one of my Zaloga Shermans in Combat books. Sassgrunt worked up the new idler covers for those MATO idlers to ditch the weird, MATO cover so I was extremely surprised afterwards to see them in use in a war time photo. Some kind of special extra weight bearing idea. Like the modified idler for the Duplex Drive tanks, it does not show up on that admittedly excellent site for Shermans. Pic:
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

So Mato, most likely by accident, chose what appears to be the rarest idler type? Lol.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
I often wonder about companies like this, Tamiya is no exception and where they find the tank(s) or photo(s) that they use to make masters from for all sizes of their kits. I'm sure that I have seen photos of some tanks that have shown up as painted box art, etc. before. Once I have time, I will sit down and leaf through my books and find the photo I am thinking of here..
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Supposedly, the reason Tamiya chose the M4(105)HVSS is because there is one on display close by them.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Well, I certainly hadn't a clue there were different spoke versions of the idlers. Obviously I knew of the multitude of variations on the road wheels, and the sprockets, but assumed we were safe on the idlers! It is very interesting, though, to discover these variations, and that Mato in their wisdom (or, more likely, accidentally) picked a fairly rare one it seems. Still considering around 50,000 or so Shermans were built, or so I understand, it's hardly surprising all these differences crop up.
It's like the quandary I had deciding which tracks to go with - in the end I went with the T74 without duckbills just because i saw these chevron pattern crop up most but I have seen plenty of T49's too with and without the duckbills so useless you are modelling a specific tank 'you pays your money and takes your choice' as they say. :D

Love to see that pic though Painless if you get round to digging it out sometime. :thumbup:
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

For my M10, I have a pair of open spoke idlers from a FOV Sherman. For the M36, I think I'll grind off the extra ribs.

Return to “Other Builds”