M7 Priest scratchbuild

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

M7 Priest scratchbuild

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, I think I ought to graduate from trucks to the real world of tanks, and due to budgetary considerations have decided to have a go at the M7 (basically because I should just need the hull and running gear and build the rest).
When I get back from my hols in February I am going to be on the lookout for some parts (hopefully very reasonably priced :think: ). The bits I need can be castoffs from old projects or swapped out because of upgrades, I'm not fussy about new parts.
I have got a transmitter for my Tiger which I can hopefully use, and an RX18 board so what I am going to be looking for is:
- A receiver
- a sherman lower hull, preferably with suspension/tracks/gearbox but I'll take what I can get.
That should enable me to start the build, then I will need to figure out how to handle barrel raise/lower and recoil on shooting.
There may be other things I've missed and if so somebody please put me straight in that case.

Apart from that it's just build really :haha: :crazy:
regards. Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: M7 Priest scratchbuild next project

Post by ALPHA »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi, I think I ought to graduate from trucks to the real world of tanks, and due to budgetary considerations have decided to have a go at the M7 (basically because I should just need the hull and running gear and build the rest).
When I get back from my hols in February I am going to be on the lookout for some parts (hopefully very reasonably priced :think: ). The bits I need can be castoffs from old projects or swapped out because of upgrades, I'm not fussy about new parts.
I have got a transmitter for my Tiger which I can hopefully use, and an RX18 board so what I am going to be looking for is:
- A receiver
- a sherman lower hull, preferably with suspension/tracks/gearbox but I'll take what I can get.
That should enable me to start the build, then I will need to figure out how to handle barrel raise/lower and recoil on shooting.
There may be other things I've missed and if so somebody please put me straight in that case.

Apart from that it's just build really :haha: :crazy:
regards. Alwyn
Greets Alwyn...Do a search...Woz did a really nice Priest with his 3d Printer :D

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Woz did a superb job with the 3d printer, unfortunately with my budget it's going to be styrene sheet all the way, but that's part of the fun anyway. leaving tomorrow so I'll pick up any messages/pms about available bits/costs when I get back. Cheers Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by brizo58 »

Hi Alwyn,
I will realy look forward to your build I love the Priest. How will you tackle the 105 howitzer?. Brian...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Brian, I haven't got that far yet! I have taken a peek at Woz's version and he seems to have used the BB mechanism off a tank and added the 105 bits on the front, I'll have to scrutinise that and see but I really want a gun that I can elevate and preferably have a recoil mechanism on it, so much research required here! Should be an interesting build though. Alwyn

brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Is there a kit of the 105 howitzer there was one a good few years ago but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. Brian...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Brian Italeri do a 1/35 kit of it
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... p?th=31490
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Italeri-105-M ... 0908906363

I don't think it's on sale in the uk though as I can't find it.
Cheers
Alwyn

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Looking forward to this one! I do like the priest.
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Yea seen that one. This was a large scale but cannot remember the scale :/ 63 minds gone now ;) if it dose come to me I'll let you know. Mind you won't be able to get it now anyway :thumbdown: . Brian...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Folks, given this is going to be my first tank build I hope you will all be able to advise and support, otherwise I fear this may be a let-down for all you Priest enthusiasts, any way I'm game to give it a shot. Regards Alwyn

Return to “Other Builds”