Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeling!)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeli

Post by tomhugill »

I was thinking miliput to reinstate the zimmerite over them should cover most of it.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Yesterday tanks got the better of me, I promised myself after a particularly late night caused by a friends birthday Sunday would tank (and more importantly photo etch) free. However this didn't really work out...

I decided to get the loaders hatch sorted with parts from tankforthememory and Thetankman. I had to carve a fair bit out to get everything working and fitted. I got a bit over enthusiastic and had to remark the hinges. I has a full photo etch set for the hatch detail but I decided that the existing lock detail was pretty good and chose to supplement it with photo etch rather that removing totally. I added new grab handles out of copper wire.

Next I added the front mudguard locks:

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I've started work on the tool fixtures, in intresting job with plenty of fidley bits. So far I've done the shovel, the jack block holder (jack block will be real wood, not the plastic one I used for test fitting) and finally I've done the sledge hammer. I've also added hatches and the combing round them.

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Some slightly better pictures:

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Finished the tools, lots of repositioning which made things tricky!

I won't be using those tool, they're just for fitting purposes, will be making proper wooden handles etc!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

More photo etch I'm afraid, today I'd built the jack:

Clamps all work

Also done the welds on the cupola

tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Tom,

It's all looking very fine indeed - even if you didn't need my loader's hatch in the end... :(

I love what you are doing with the Voyager PE parts, but once again you are raising the bar - damn you! I had already resigned myself to the fact that I will have to replace all of those tool tie-downs, but you're making it look much easier than I dare to believe.

The Atak zimmerit is also a revelation - too bad I went of the rubber variety first before I abandoned it all in favour of the home-made approach. I could have lived with your option, but now I have started down that lonely road...

One word of warning though - now you have 'redecorated half the room' you won't be able to live with those turret track link holders will you?!
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey tanks, sorry I missed your reply. The voyager photo etch is brilliant, challenging but not in a "pull your hair out and lob it in the bin" way like the aber offering and I'd say gives 90% of the detail. However it's ben easier a second time round! The catches are really really easy, compared to the abers which I swear are way more complex than they need to be.

Regarding the spare track holders the plastic ones are pretty good! I'll be honest unless I had the schumo ones I doubt I could tell the difference once painted!

Your mg34 info is providing very useful!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Got my barrel travel lock off chris through today, put that together and stared on the paint!

KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Nice work on the photo etch 8) . Is that Halfords red primer?
You can never have too many tanks...... :D

Return to “Other Builds”