Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeling!)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeli

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
You have a lot to work with here, Tom. This will be another excellent example of the Tiger. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Nice start Tom - just don't turn on that cooker!

Did you have to open up the loader's top hatch? I thought it was moulded shut - you have done a very neat job opening it up (if not I must have another look at mine).

And David, if I'm reading those colour drawings correctly some of these steel-wheeled Tigers had the old, larger idler wheel. So are you also saying everything else was the same as a late/mid-production - so no reinforced turret roof, pilsen, etc?

I can also see there is no cut-out for the front towing shackles.

Fascinating...
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

tanks_for_the_memory; yes, the steel wheels predated (by a few weeks) the other changes that we associate with "Late" Tigers. So there were about 30 of these "mids with steel wheels". But they also had the later 20 ton jack, and no shovel on the glacis plate.

I worked with Dragon on their kit, and we chose the feature list through close study of photos of real Tigers.

If you want to check anything, just look for photos of that model built up, e.g. these ones;

http://militarymodels.co.nz/2011/09/06/ ... up-photos/

David
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

tanks_for_the_memory wrote:Nice start Tom - just don't turn on that cooker!

Did you have to open up the loader's top hatch? I thought it was moulded shut - you have done a very neat job opening it up (if not I must have another look at mine).

And David, if I'm reading those colour drawings correctly some of these steel-wheeled Tigers had the old, larger idler wheel. So are you also saying everything else was the same as a late/mid-production - so no reinforced turret roof, pilsen, etc?

I can also see there is no cut-out for the front towing shackles.

Fascinating...
Hey tanks, yup had to open up all the hatches! The taigen drivers metal hatches fit nicely but not sure about their detailing. The commanders fits ok too (slightly small) but the loaders doesn't at all. I need to get hold of the tamiya hatch as that looks spot on.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

DavidByrden wrote:tanks_for_the_memory; yes, the steel wheels predated (by a few weeks) the other changes that we associate with "Late" Tigers. So there were about 30 of these "mids with steel wheels". But they also had the later 20 ton jack, and no shovel on the glacis plate.

I worked with Dragon on their kit, and we chose the feature list through close study of photos of real Tigers.

If you want to check anything, just look for photos of that model built up, e.g. these ones;

http://militarymodels.co.nz/2011/09/06/ ... up-photos/

David
Thanks for that david, will be very useful! Do you knowing any of this tiger variant where built as command tanks?
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

tomhugill wrote: Thanks for that david, will be very useful! Do you knowing any of this tiger variant where built as command tanks?
I can't find any. Photos from that period aren't as common as I'd like, though.
The s.SS.Pz.Abt.101 (Michael Wittman's unit) had three BefehlsTigers that were slightly later builds. They had the small idler wheel, and probably the gun's travel lock was gone. They had the 25mm turret roof (same as you) but the protective ring was added to the hull roof. That you don't have.

David
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks david, I think I might have to fudge things as I've been wanting to do a command variant of one of my German tanks do a while.

Been busy, I've worked to get all the internals sorted. Installed an ibu2, servo recoil, stug elevation , hl high voltage flash and a TBU. The installation went without a hitch, the only issue is the gunner site I've installed the emitter through is only about 4mm tops. So the beam is much narrower that a 6mm emitter tube. A such you have to be much more accurate and some hidden sensors are tough to hit.

On the cosmetic side I've installed the rest of the atak zimmerite. I've got to say it's excellent, fit was spot on and went on very easily. Only one hairy moment when the superglue gripped before I got the sheet in place.

I've also started on the photo etch. I've added the side mounted tow cable and built up the front tow cable clamps.

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

TAIGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O ............. :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

The tow cable holders are photo etch (from the voyager basic set). I've built them up on my previous tiger and this time I'm trying to make use of the lessons learnt the first time. To this end I'm using brass wire instead of the styrene supplied in the kit as I found this to break when trying to clamp down tow cables.

For cleaning rods I use 2mm cocktail sticks, the ends are 2mm brass tube cut down and then 1mm (although I'll use thicker this time) threaded rod on the ends. I used ak DAK wash to stain all my tool handles (which are also sculpted from cocktail sticks).

ive been cracking on with the tow cable clamps this evening, it's a fairly time consuming job but I hope the results are worth it. I also remembered I had a metal AA mount and mg34. On this I've built it up so it's fully posable. The gun provided is incorrect as it doesn't have the armoured barrel, however I've got the hobby boss one which is correct. I tried grafting the barrel onto the metal one but it's slightly on the thick side. I've not decided which I'll be going with but I have options.

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

More done on the PE set today, detail on the rear deck and some barrel cleaning rod holders. There would have been more but lead foil for my m51 came today :D Just need moy commander now!

Return to “Other Builds”