Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeling!)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeling!)

Post by tomhugill »

I bought a couple of taigen 2.4ghz full metal tigers a year or so ago. One went toward building my Sturmtiger, the other languished in a box taking up space.....until now. I picked up a damaged merit mid tiger cheap off eBay and thus the project was born. I've also bought some black steel 4:1s and the atak zimmerite. Currently the lower hull has late tiger running gear. The issue is if I want to make a proper late tiger is I will need to do some surgery but it's not out the question. I've also going to be getting the voyager PE set. I wasn't going to go super detailed as the merit looks quite good but rivet counteritus might get the better of me! Electronics will be either tamiya or an ibu.

Here's the progress so far, grafted the merit top and back plate onto the taigen chassis.

ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Tiger build (mid or late depending on how lazy I'm feeli

Post by ALPHA »

Boycotting this build till the KV2 is finished ....................... :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

This ones been brewing since long before I even bought the KV-2! You know me though I have to have at least two tank builds going at once!
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

Looking good dude, as for the tamiya/IBU question, get the IBU2 there great and alot easier to adjust and mess with than Tamiya or Clark, and there on offer at the min for 120quid! Well with it!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Cheers sponge! I suspect it'll come down to whether I have the correct mfu in my box of bits or see one cheap. I've already got an ibu and a spare sound card for the tiger so that my backup plan!
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:Looking good dude, as for the tamiya/IBU question, get the IBU2 there great and alot easier to adjust and mess with than Tamiya or Clark, and there on offer at the min for 120quid! Well with it!
£120 is the normal price, £105 for the IBU2 base with the latest updated firmware this month is the offer.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Nice start Tom.

Why not go with the late Tiger? The running gear is obviously there anyway and the Merit / Hobby Boss top is a lot closer to the correct spec than any Heng Long / Taigen offering.

The biggest changes will be the beefed-up armour on the turret roof - just a layer of plastic card - and Tiger II loader's hatch, plus the turret ring splash guard.

The rest are details - like the re-shaped front towing pintels and turret escape hatch. Plus the zimmerit, of course, but that's easy peasy... :'(
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

TFTM, EASY PEASY? I don't know what you are drinking but save some for me :haha: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:This ones been brewing since long before I even bought the KV-2! You know me though I have to have at least two tank builds going at once!
:haha: :haha: :haha: OK OK Tom.... will give you a break on this one....Would still prefer to see the KV2 restored though...too many Tigers being shown and built these days... can't hardly keep track of them already :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh Mr Alpha...................never to many a Tiger !!

I would be so bold as to suggest Mr Hugill fashion a late "stop-gap chuck together & get er out fighting" machine.
There would be artistic licence galore & very few constraints on historic accuracy.
From Fehrmann to Muncheberg, theres lots of scope ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”