Crazy Joe's Sherman Rehabilitation

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Crazy Joe's Sherman Rehabilitation

Post by c.rainford73 »

Yep...... That's Joe
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As the song almost goes: " You can't keep a good man (-iac) down..". I had a chuckle revisiting this thread, especially marvelling at those animated gifs Alpha used to conjure up :haha:
You must be high up in the mountains, Painless, to have a covering of snow like that. Perhaps your first British tank build should be the Centaur Dozer. It would have helped clear trail for that tastefully appointed Sherman :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy, Good morning,
Thank you, sir. Yes, Gardner sits in a high desert valley between three mountain sub ranges of the Rockies. Altitude is some 7000 ft so the winds here ( which are nearly ceaseless ) are refreshing in the Summer and biting in the Winter. Snows are generally heavy and very dry powder types... Those were good times on the Forum to be sure. I sometimes feel isolated and antiquated here. New and marvelous advancements like 3D printing make the type of modeling I do, old hat *chuckles* My tanks soldier on tho', year after year and suffer through many upgrades to keep them current. It's fun and I will do it as long as fun is to be had. ( Snow tanking! )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Roy, Good morning,
Thank you, sir. Yes, Gardner sits in a high desert valley between three mountain sub ranges of the Rockies. Altitude is some 7000 ft so the winds here ( which are nearly ceaseless ) are refreshing in the Summer and biting in the Winter. Snows are generally heavy and very dry powder types... Those were good times on the Forum to be sure. I sometimes feel isolated and antiquated here. New and marvelous advancements like 3D printing make the type of modeling I do, old hat *chuckles* My tanks soldier on tho', year after year and suffer through many upgrades to keep them current. It's fun and I will do it as long as fun is to be had. ( Snow tanking! )
regards,
Painless
:D
I'm slowly becoming a dinosaur myself, Painless. The rate of change in this modern world is astounding.. 8O
At 7,000 ft your are on the threshold of anoxia. But that's not all bad.. :D The Gurkhas, who come from the oxygen depleted heights of the Himalayas, are legendary for their endurance and, of course, athletes also train at altitude to enhance their red blood cell capacities. Living at altitude means Clark Kent performance in all things physical; but at sea level, you get the benefit of being Superman :haha:
It's great that you have all that space, and being semi-solitary is not the same as being lonely.. :think: Many would envy you the 'tank park' you're evolving there..
If you don't mind a visual diversion, here's the front portion of my garden, facing Loch Ewe (the Atlantic sea loch), and the distant Torridon mountains. I intend to use this as my own Ardennes setting, and as a proving ground for my tanks (with obstacles, of course.. :D )...in warmer weather:
Highland Tank park in warmer weather
Highland Tank park in warmer weather
and as it has been since December.. very Ardennes Campaign like :thumbup: Incidentally, I planted all the trees myself. Much of the Highlands region was once heavily forested, but the timber was cut down to reinforce WW1
trenches, for making ships for the British navy in the time of Nelson, and for making coke to smelt iron.
Highland Tank Park in Winter..
Highland Tank Park in Winter..
This is also where the Convoys used to sail from in WW2, to supply Aircraft and tanks to the Russian Army...Those poor sailors. Being sunk in Arctic waters meant practically a zero chance of survival. :|
Sorry about the wee visual digression.. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy,
That is a very lovely visual diversion! With a deep History as well. Also, thank you again. We feel very lucky to have found this place. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Agree, a very sireen location in which ole Joe would be right at home with.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
A little repair and update attempted on 'In The Mood' ( which failed due to dodgy hardware ) which led to some wiring cleanup and a different hull attachment setup and a video on an outdoor run on the Tube' Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64924y1Kcg

Pics:
Attachments
Another View
Another View
In The Mood is In The Mood
In The Mood is In The Mood
Part of the fix
Part of the fix
Eight screws replaced by magnets
Eight screws replaced by magnets
New MATO Board new years ago
New MATO Board new years ago
MATO M4A1 current upper wiring
MATO M4A1 current upper wiring
Brand new MATO Airsoft Unit
Brand new MATO Airsoft Unit
None Better
None Better
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A possibility of better things to come for this tank. ( Flash and Boom instead of airgun windup and some different sounds, a regular RX and TX instead of the stock Jobbie ) It all depends what Stian can make of the 12 pin MATO board connector from upper to MFU. Here are pics,, Doc. If it turns out to be too complicated to swap out the wiring, another airgun mech is in the mail courtesy of Frank. Third mech might be the charm but knowing MATO electronics all too well as I do....
Attachments
Wiring C
Wiring C
Wiring B
Wiring B
Wiring A
Wiring A
Lights and turret functions
Lights and turret functions
MATO Mini Board equals Lighting and Turret functions
MATO Mini Board equals Lighting and Turret functions
MATO 12 Pin Connector
MATO 12 Pin Connector
MATO MFU
MATO MFU
Old Speaker Overhang
Old Speaker Overhang
Maximum Speaker Box Dimensions
Maximum Speaker Box Dimensions
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Painless I completely gutted the original upper hull electrical and did this....

Now I'm running Stians tk24 Sbus setup and servo recoil with a heng long upper daughterboard. Lights have been swapped. Just need to add reverse lights.ImageImageImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Thank you for the pics! 'In The Mood' is on it's second rewire. Thinking about redoing it a third time just makes me tired. ;o) I'll see what Stian comes up with. I do like the original MATO engine sound, track squeak and MG. They are a lot more authentic than the back in the day HL sound set.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”