Sherman Duplex Drive...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
yan33
Private

Re: Sherman Duplex Drive...

Post by yan33 »

it's amazing tank
i love it so much :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"Nigel Mansell" thats GOLD !!!

Looks like a young Geoffrey Boycott looking on !!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Hello guys and thank you very much for comments.

That makes me happy.

For the tank commander and the similarity with Nigel Mansell or Geoffrey Boycott, see with Dave from Forgebear. :haha: :haha:

4 pics takes with my phone during the shooting of thursday.

For friday, no pics, because it was a very sensitive military site and the phones was forbidden (except for the crew to use cameras).

Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This takes you to the pinnacle of the hobby, Freddie :clap: Getting a model to resemble the real thing is a triumph in itself, one challenge doubtless we all aspire to. But, to get it to work like the real thing, and in water is- well, frankly miraculous :O :thumbup:
I've seen quite a few threads here dealing with the topic of waterproofing tanks, so that the electrics are not shorted out. You seem to have found a perfect working solution to the problem. How did you do it?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Thank you 43rdRecceReg (sorry I don' t know your surname). :haha:

For the cover, simply it is a impermeabilized fabric. And to be sure it is impermeabilized, I add waterproof aerosol spray.

The big problem with this fabric, it is than when the cover is down, it's not thin. Normally, the cover and the support of cover are more lower.

I don' t know if what I explain is understanable. Excuse me....
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

FredtheFrench wrote:Thank you 43rdRecceReg (sorry I don' t know your surname). :haha:

For the cover, simply it is a impermeabilized fabric. And to be sure it is impermeabilized, I add waterproof aerosol spray.

The big problem with this fabric, it is than when the cover is down, it's not thin. Normally, the cover and the support of cover are more lower.

I don' t know if what I explain is understanable. Excuse me....
I understand. The screen isn't scale thickness, so it doesn't collapse as as low as on the real tank. Still extremely impressive sir. :clap:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

It is exactly that. Thank you. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

43rdRR was my late father's regiment in the War, Fred, that's why I use that particular handle. Just call me Roy, though.
One problem waterproofing tanks is sealing the gaps around the running gear (suspension arms, drive sprockets, idlers..i.e. bits that rotate or swivel), and the joins in the chassis tub. Your Sherman's suspension was completely immersed in water- as it had to be for the duplex drive to work- and yet, it appears the electrics were unaffected. 8O Sealing the suspension has been a hot topic before with 'Schwimmpanzer' and 'Tauchpanzer' builds
How did you seal those joints? If need be, use bits of French, it's not a problem. :) What was the secret of your success?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Thank you Roy for interest.

This is fews pics during the manufacture.

For the interior, it is just putty to paint that you can found in any " do it yourself" store.

Red circles= putty for the fixations of suspensions.
Green circle= engine separation wall+ putty
Blue circles= fixations of rear wheels/ propellers glued+ fixed with bolts

As you can see, it is a rubber seal for each side for the transmissions. It is fixed with a brass washer and bolts. Little leak. For this reason there is the engine separation. Water is not dangerous for the basic engine of the transmissions.

The fabric is glued around the chassis and the waterproofing is made with the same putty to paint (here the putty is white before is green painted).

For more security, the Clark board was in a little box ( not closed on top unfortunatly). Thursday, the little waves passes on top the tank and electronic was completely in water. Very lucky, after dry the electronic system with hair dryer, all components work again...

For more details, ask your questions. If you want to see the manufacture from the beginning, this is the link:

http://www.forum-rc-panzer.com/t5705-Pr ... -Drive.htm

:wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Formidable! Those pics gave an excellent insight into what was clearly a successful waterproofing process, Fred. I'm sure there'll be quite a few members here taking a keen interest in the methods you used. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Roy.
Maybe when the film emerges, in which your Sherman played a starring role, you will post a link to it here. :)

Return to “Other Builds”