Sherman Duplex Drive...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Re: Sherman Duplex Drive...

Post by FredtheFrench »

I don' t know why, but some pics do' t pass in my previous message...

Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

FredtheFrench wrote:This is for Pete (971wright) and the others members interesting by this project. ;)

Pics of my Sherman DD after repair of my transmission.

My final gearwheel in nylon of my left transmission has broken due to sand. I think I need to buy new transmission, but I have looked my old metal transmissions and I was surprised, 2 of them are the same than the Matorro sherman transmissions.

I have done the modifications and transmissions works very good.

The video to show the functioning of expanding and closing the sidewall canvas.

The video especially for Pete...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXaTQCRozQU
OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING! FRED! :clap: :clap: ...That's a neat trick you've done.... Heng Long gears in Mato gear cases.... ingenious ! :D ...How long did it take you to figure out the side curtain mechanism? Your servo lever idea is clever indeed... nothing short of a work of art.. everything is very pleasing to the eyes....
So she is once again running? .. are you going to do any more videos of her in the pond ? ;)

AWESOME WORK SIR :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

By the way Fred.... Thank you for sharing that video...I really like what you've done :thumbup:

ALPHA
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Thank you Mike.

It' s not my idea, this idea is from Flametrhower. This member has made a Churchill bridgelayer, a Sherman flail, a Sherman dozer and others crazy projects... :thumbup:
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Great work ,have seen some of Flames work ,both of you are great model Engineers. I will be at Normandy in June but not till the 20th ,shame would have loved to see this and Flames work up close .

regards pete
tankman

Post by tankman »

Very impresive Sherman DD build and some very innovative engineering. Well done indeed.
Alan
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Hello.

Last pics of my job.

I have change the rear deck to made an M4A2, like the Sherman duplex drive of the Bovington' s museum. Before I tried to do a M4A4, but this model is longer than the Matorro chassis.

I try to do better than it is possible compares to reality. For this, I try to find photos and videos on internet and in some books.

I know some nuts and bolts are bigger than reality and not the good model, but I do with what I have and I think than the result is not bad. What do you think honestly?

Next photos in few days.

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I can see only one problem Fred....that wire extending upwards from the hull in back of the turret... I see you used plastic coated wire... it might obscure your turret rotation... is it necessary? flexible piano wire might be better... but if you don't think it will affect anything then I think what you've done is perfectly fine.... this shot says it all
to me...because that's usually the distance people would view your tank

if they got as close as your close ups... well..if it were my tank..I'd tell whomever to back off lol ;)

Nice job on the final details :D

Have a Great Day Fred :thumbup:

ALPHA
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Hello Mike.

This drawbar is for steering system. It is the tank commander who move this drawbar to left or right for the Sherman turn in water to left or to right.

This drawbar will not be installed during dynamic show, but during static display I will put on.

This drawbar control the rudder...

I hope I was clear. :thumbup:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Fred, when I was working on my M4A2, I found that it has several extra filler caps on the engine deck. There are two on either side of the grills, and sometimes another one centered below the grills. For mine, I used an old Tamiya upper hull, and cut away and sanded down the bottoms of the four that are on it. For a fifth one, you'll either need to rob another hull, or cast one. But, it's an easy way to add them if you have no other source.

I echo Alpha's sentiments - you have made a magnificent build!!

Return to “Other Builds”