Nicks Famo build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
jeff1101
Corporal

Re: Nicks Famo build

Post by jeff1101 »

Nice work Nick. How did you do the highlights on the red oxide? I assume you sprayed white paint?
Viking7604
Recruit

Post by Viking7604 »

Wow!
This looks like an amazing project, keep us all up dated please? Can't wait to see to finished article.
Der Kampf gegen die eigenen Oberen macht manchmal mehr Arbeit als gegen die Franzosen. (It is sometimes tougher to fight my superiors than the French.) Heinz Guderian 1888-1954.
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

The high lights are just a thin build up of base colour everything is basically just layer on layer
I'm manning the gun's ! Who's driving ?
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Managed to get the Famo together for the Victory show. Its a way off being finished but I wanted to see how it ran before continuing in case I needed to strip it down again. Several things came to light over the course of the weekend . Because of the grass and the grip the tracks have, it threw tracks for fun on longer grass , when it had got worn a little it calmed down. The Clark board im using has no reverse (I think I burnt it out earlier) so I had to think turns out well in advance on tight turns the track rolls off the rear idler ripping at the rubber treads, id adjusted the tension as much as possible and it still did it occasionally a driving technique involving wider turns is being developed lol.
Other things that showed up:- the inner wheels outer rims sometimes rub on inner sides of the outer wheels so show as silver now. Even though it was etch primed its a little prone to paint chipping but that will be dealt with as details progress. The width guide bars on the front wings do not stand up to being run over by Pershings lol as will be seen on the pics following. My son Gareth liked the Halftrack at the end of the Dirty Dozen so all weekend it wandered around with a GI figure in the drivers seat
Attachments
Victory show 2013 1re.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Ive spoken about the technique I used to add the floor plate in the Famo (epoxy moulding) heres a close up of the floor in the crew area its nearly finished weathered I hope effectively........ im happy with the over all results might need a little mud here or there
Attachments
floors.jpg
floors.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Starting to think about the next stages of the build.... lots of bits to do such as windshield, canvas doors, notek, rear lights and convoy light etc etc. so thought id have a play with a driver so i've done a basic fitting to get hands in position and got the ankles in the right places, I have moulds of a seated figure that im going to reproduce for some crew and now have a good idea about what stowage im going to do. I think the figure could be a build thread all of its own lol
Attachments
driver fitting.jpg
driver fitting.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
driver1.jpg
driver1.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Throwing tracks constantly? Would metal tracks ameliorate this in any way? It is a beauty to behold as is. Looking forward to seeing it customized with more figures and gear.
regards,
Painless Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Hi Painless its on the Asiatam metal tracks, the problem is they grip to well , precise miniatures of the originals each link has a large rubber block that sticks out from the surface so when any sideways movement occurs (as in turning) theres no slip , consequently as the tracks turns on the idler wheel it strains to relieve those sideways stresses and wants to come off if the teeth on the tracks were a little longer it wouldn't happen but again its very very scale and it has enough play to allow it to jump
stug 85
Corporal

Post by stug 85 »

It looks the dogs danglies nick when my war room is up and running you gonna have to come round and show me how to paint figures properly :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Apologies, I missed that the tracks were metal with rubber chevrons. I'm not even sure how that could be rectified. Hopefully, as you noted, it will stop as the rubber wears.
Good Luck and regards,
Painless Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”