Nicks Famo build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
NickDonitz
Corporal

Nicks Famo build

Post by NickDonitz »

I recently acquired an Asiatam Famo Sd.kfz.9 prime mover, that Forgebear had won on fleabay and kindly sold on to me . The original builder had done a basic job of assembly and it was best described as in need of attention. So with the aim of having it running for the Victory show I set about it. It was all built and finished in a basic sand colour and was pretty rough so I stripped the entire thing and removed the paint using acetone and my ultrasonic parts washer, a real joy as if by magic all the parts were as clean as a new penny. So basically im now at square one
Attachments
famo2.jpg
famo 1.jpg
I'm manning the gun's ! Who's driving ?
NickDonitz
Corporal

Re: Nicks Famo build

Post by NickDonitz »

Ive built a few diecast models previously and getting parts to fit can be a pain in the preverbial but the Famo wasn't to bad, grinder file and a hammer were all utilised to get a good fit of the parts and referencing hundreds of photos allowed me to make a few changes such as the side handles which were the wrong shape that others will never notice --- but i'll know :haha:

I set about making the strap latches which hold down the canvas hood and door covers, drilling holes and fitting looped wire in then supergluing rivets at each end so the desired result is achieved
Attachments
famo3.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

This continued round the rear. One thing I found was that no two vehicles had the brackets in exactly the same place and I can only assume that the straps on the canvas were stitched on last thing as it were a bespoke fitting
Attachments
famo4.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

I reassembled the back end as it was by far the easiest assembly. Certain things in the assembly ive had to let slide as the panels need to be screwed together and the occasional screw head can be seen, though where practical they are hidden. The tool box racks needed re fitting to get them to sit straight , with die cast theres no forgivness with the glue and a fit its got to be close to give it any chance of strength
Attachments
famo5.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

I next started to detail the drivers compartment, certain things will be added later but first of was to get the floor right . the floor panels were made of horizontal rivet plate , that is a sheet steel with a rivet effect cast in in a grid pattern. Now Aber do do a sheet that's the right size in PE but its very small and to do the job id have needed five packs at 12 quid a pop so an alternative was decided upon. In the first pic's youll see some pe that the first builder had stuck on, a brave attempt but it was a diagonal pattern and the rivet counters would have a field day . I re cut the etch and stuck it to a board then built a lego wall around it and filled it with some meltable silicon I have the lego did bend with the heat but I ended up with a silicon block with the pattern in it
Attachments
famo7.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

I recut the blocks to give me the horizontal pattern then spread a thin layer of epoxy on the pattern and carefully put it in place and after it setting peeled the silicon away leaving the pattern behind on the floor. This was done till the whole floor was covered and smaller blocks were cut to shape to fill gaps or go round detail
Attachments
famo6.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

I next made the first aid kit holder that sits next to the drivers knee
Attachments
famo8.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

And fitted it in position. You can get an idea of the floor panels in this shot
Attachments
famo9.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

I then fabricated the rear fender brackets as per the picture, they were finished off with the four rivets at each end of the crossmember . How long these will stay in place with use ive no idea but they are quite delicate
Attachments
famo10.jpg
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Most Famos ive seen have batteries in the back with them hidden with stowage but I decided to forget about the main winch under the bed and instead made a brass tray to act as battery holder
Attachments
famo11.jpg

Return to “Other Builds”