RC 1/16 Bren Carrier revisited

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: RC 1/16 Bren Carrier revisited

Post by Ecam »

Stunning work.

I hate to admit it, but you are inspiring me to look more closely at 3D printing! Given the fact that my brother has hardly left the dark ages (extension cords still confuse him), it will be a prolonged learning curve for me.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, the learning curve can be steep, but very rewarding! (and sometimes frustrating if you have been following my comments on the cr touch product :crazy: :D ) The end results and the repeatability of the result though are worth all the irritation when things don't go quite right. There are now lots of ready made models - see jee's thread.

I have reduced the quantity of hair on my head which has now turned white, and my liver has been the frequent subject of drowning my sorrows, but after five years of persistence I have managed to produce some interesting models. If you do decide to dip a toe in the water then look at the creality printers as a starter, some of the other brands leave much to be desired plus there are plenty of spares, add ons, and teaching vids for the Creality stuff.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Having decided to use 3mm brass rod to mount the sprocket on (and fit into the gearbox I'm designing) I needed to find a way to securely fasten the sprocket to the axle, and here it is
Sprocket
Rear of the sprocket - note the end stop with m3 bolt next to it
Insert the end stop into the sprocket and screw in the bolt
and there we have the completed sprocket

Simples! :haha: :haha:

Alwyn :wave:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

:thumbup: great solution Alwyn
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Ecam wrote:Stunning work.

I hate to admit it, but you are inspiring me to look more closely at 3D printing! Given the fact that my brother has hardly left the dark ages (extension cords still confuse him), it will be a prolonged learning curve for me.
YEAH! YEAH!! Jump into it and learn how to do it, Eric! There ain't no way that I'm going to attempt that learning curve, but if YOU do it, maybe I can swindle you out of some custom parts! Cool, cool, cool!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Front suspension sorted, just waiting for a supply of springs
Meanwhile working on the gearbox. It's fairly simple, just the geared motor. two bevel gears, and two bearings
The motors are on the slow boat from China

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

This little build is looking great Alwyn :D following along eagerly with it progress :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Some progress on the design work and including the gearbox positioning. The gearboxes are designed to fit into the engine housing of the bren carrier.
The nice thing about openscad is you can design all the bits separately and bring them together to see how they fit.

jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Alwyn,
what kind of motors will you use for this one?
will small ones I guess?
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Jaap, these ones
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224917215011 ... 3789119644

there are about 10mm square by 25mm long 6v 200rpm

Alwyn :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”