IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: IS-2M "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Decided to go with a big square beam as an unditching aid rather than a round type.
Washed heavily with a blend of track wash and watered down black acrylic art paint, it’s taken on a quite realistic hue.
Balsa wood stock to enable easy shaping.
I dusted over it with Europe Earth to match the rest of the tank.
PVA glue undiluted was applied to the fuel tank brackets where the beam makes contact & once it’s set I will tie it off with suitable chain.
The very back end of it was broken by hand & looks pretty close to a real almost fully broken wooden beam .
All I will have left then is to arrange and secure any looted gear on the deck.

You've all heard of the "fog of War" ............this ?, this is the "log of War" !!! :/
Attachments
B6D44F0A-DBDF-4588-9BE0-471F5077791D.jpeg
CA40EE11-F3F1-4F32-AF79-F400337BF317.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Never doubted you could pull this off! Love the look of the beam, very clever! Great weathering too! TOTM entry?

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
The Beam really works. Especially as it looks to have been broken by a previous use! The front spares look exact as well. Great Job o' Realism!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

All that hard work and skill on the IS-2M, and we all get excited about the unditching beam. :/ Yeah, I like it too. It gave me an idea: make a broken beam showing unweathered wood on its the jagged end. Because I live in the woods, I am familiar with that look after wind storms. :O
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

EAO wrote:Never doubted you could pull this off! Love the look of the beam, very clever! Great weathering too! TOTM entry?

Cheers,
Eric.

Thanks Mr E, TOTM ??...........Perhaps yes!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

PainlessWolf wrote:Herman,
The Beam really works. Especially as it looks to have been broken by a previous use! The front spares look exact as well. Great Job o' Realism!
regards,
Painless
Cheers Mr Wolf, that was the idea, to get a look of a misused beam rather than the usual mint looking one.
Plus, I didnt want to use a tree . Im theorising that this was part of a building or bridge that was available to the crew to salvage & put to use.
Although '202' does not have this visible, it might have had one, so I'm calling it 'Plausible' !!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:All that hard work and skill on the IS-2M, and we all get excited about the unditching beam. :/ Yeah, I like it too. It gave me an idea: make a broken beam showing unweathered wood on its the jagged end. Because I live in the woods, I am familiar with that look after wind storms. :O
Thanks Proff, idea is that it was sawn off the structure it was attached to such as a building or bridge, to be used as a robust tool to help the crew if required.
Plus it blanks off quite a large area of open side armour from the dreaded 'Faustniks'
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Chained on now.
Perhaps a little more dust pigment & a touch of exhaust soot next to the exhaust outlet & thats that for the beam.
Stowage now, and to invent a way of having it on the deck but in an easily removable fashion :problem:
Shame to have a 360deg rotating turret if it cant :/
Attachments
Narrow frontal profile and GUUUN for the ages !
Narrow frontal profile and GUUUN for the ages !
7D864B80-AD2B-42CB-A3F1-5129FDB2DC4C.jpeg
21541838-964B-4B7D-B764-E213859AB3C3.jpeg
CD689ABC-E657-44A5-B4AD-00CD859BCE7B.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by stu_the_flat »

this looks amazing!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Flat, we try eh !

I had a bit of a moment when thinking about how to get the stowage to sit on the deck but be removable for times when I want the turret to rotate 360.
Put some plastic sandwich wrap on the deck & used a PVA soaked bit of fabric placed over that so that hopefully it can have the stowage attached to it yet not be stuck firm on the deck.
This could be abandoned rickety-tick but it’s worth a try.
If it reduces the sound too much that could also hasten it’s demise !!
Attachments
787A0226-9DB3-48EC-B963-2123AB4CF90C.jpeg
C5EDF6E1-3C9A-44E6-A1EE-49ED400DB251.jpeg
EC7DFBCF-A611-4883-9DEC-FED0F4184C08.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”