Trumpeter/Taigen hybrid T-34/76 (obr. 1942 model)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Trumpeter/Taigen hybrid T-34/76 (obr. 1942 model)

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, Dan? What were you thinking :O It's very caustic stuff, and does remind the user not to employ it on 'plastic surfaces'. Still, considering the almost faultless work on the interior and electronics, one can be forgiven the occasional error of judgment. Having glued my left hand index finger and thumb to a gun barrel mount, I can easily sympathise with your oversight 8O :haha: . It didn't help my guitar playing technique. ;)
That's a brilliant rescue job, however- and portends well for a spectacular outcome, unless you have another wee aberration :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Thank you so much for the approval and compliments, everyone. I'm pleased and humbled that you like it. After a few finishing touches this week, I think it's just about wrapped up for now.

The recoil servo burnt out during my first 10-minute test drive around the living room, and I spent some time investigating why so that the replacement wouldn't suffer the same fate. The recoil and elevation servos share common +5V and 0V lines, because there are only 12 wires in the slip ring and I've got a whole lot of functionality crammed into this tiny turret. However, because the elevation gear was slightly off-centre, when the gun was elevated it would bind the elevation servo gently. When that servo was out of its intended position ever so slightly, it would try to find its way back to where it should be and bind itself again. This feedback loop caused interference on the voltage supply for the servos, which caused the recoil servo to sympathetically vibrate back and forth very quickly which burnt the electronics out after a few minutes. The motor's still okay though, I'll find another use for it. I learned something new about how these things all work, so it was a valuable exercise all in all.
  • IMAG0996.jpg
    IMAG0994.jpg
I spent some time this week sorting out the markings; they'll need to be toned down a little when I get around to weathering, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. My first attempt at using a paint mask, so there were a couple of rough edges that needed to be touched up with a brush. You need to be looking for it to see where I've done it, though.
43rdRecceReg wrote:Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, Dan? What were you thinking :O It's very caustic stuff, and does remind the user not to employ it on 'plastic surfaces'.
The oven cleaner itself wasn't the problem, I don't know if it's a different formulation here but all of the plastic was completely unharmed (chemically). The damage was caused by my hamfisted application of a toothbrush; if I'd been more careful then everything would have been fine. I'm happy enough to share my failures to that other people don't have to make the same mistakes, though. :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Trust me, this thing is better than in the photos………
It’s just arrived into the Herman household & will soon be pride if place in the Soviet Section.
Now all I need are a Barry C ( can’t wait that long in human years!!)
An Mcq11 ( I would die of old age deciding which one!!)
And I think a Hugill( the E100)

Let’s just say that I would need to be as eclectic and wealthy as Herman bloody Goering to get all I wanted on show in here :crazy: :haha:

Thanks again to Mr Raminator for the opportunity to secure this model, aaaand to put my incessant nagging aside !!
I will do a completion thread once I get to this after the Panther
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Trust me, this thing is better than in the photos………
It’s just arrived into the Herman household & will soon be pride if place in the Soviet Section.

Let’s just say that I would need to be as eclectic and wealthy as Herman bloody Goering to get all I wanted on show in here :crazy: :haha:

Thanks again to Mr Raminator for the opportunity to secure this model, aaaand to put my incessant nagging aside !!
You lucky blighter! Sadly the e90s left the premises, you more than welcome to one of the others once the Aussie dollars grows a spine ;)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Lucky indeed Mr H
As for the AUD$, not much chance of that catching you guys with real currency :/

My issue now is discovering I’m too dumb to make this marvel work properly!
Sure is some learning to do
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HERMAN BIX wrote: My issue now is discovering I’m too dumb to make this marvel work properly!
Sure is some learning to do
I can provide you with a copy of the Galatia Encyclopedia! :haha:

"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Trust me, this thing is better than in the photos………

What can I say? You drive a hard bargain! :haha:

Thank you for the kind words Herman, that's some very illustrious company to be compared to! I'm excited to see your take on it, and I hope you enjoy this latest bundle of joy.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Inspired by a re-read of this immersive, impressive thread, Dan, I took the plunge and ordered the Trumpeter T34/76. :thumbup: I've had the Taigen alloy/abs hull here for years (one of Taigen's best), and it was beginning to become 'invisible'. That's to say, some things are just so familiar that you don't see them anymore. :|
Rather than let it go to waste- and, needing something in the pipeline for Winter, when the Cromwell's rebuilt, your build supplied the o- solution. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Nice one Roy, I look forward to see you tackle it. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes! :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Inspired by a re-read of this immersive, impressive thread, Dan, I took the plunge and ordered the Trumpeter T34/76. :thumbup: I've had the Taigen alloy/abs hull here for years (one of Taigen's best), and it was beginning to become 'invisible'. That's to say, some things are just so familiar that you don't see them anymore. :|
Rather than let it go to waste- and, needing something in the pipeline for Winter, when the Cromwell's rebuilt, your build supplied the o- solution. :D
Some use the Trumpeter upper (like me) and some use the HL/Taigen upper hull for the 76 conversions. I find that the T34/76 turret fits better on the Trumpeter kit turret ring and runs smoother with less play, but you do have to reinforce the upper with some sheet styrene it as it is thinner than the HL/Taigen T34 upper. I find that the metal turret rotation ring also doesn't fit as well if used on the Trumpeter upper hull as the normal plastic rings, but the metal ring fits fine if used with the HL/Taigen upper hull. Either way you go they can both work.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Other Builds”