An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by tankme »

In regards to the HL turret ring...I used the Trumpeter upper hulls on my T34/76 builds because I didn't like that there as a slight difference between the turret race on the Taigen/HL upper and the Trumpeter upper. The T-76 turrets just fit way better on the Trumpeter upper IMO as they really "lock" into the race of the static kit uppers. They don't do that on the Taigen/HL upper hulls. I tried a metal turret gear, but it is slightly smaller than the HL plastic gear and tended to move around in the race so I went with the plastic one. Keep in mind that any excessive play in the ring can cause it to bind or drag.

As for taking the T34/85 turret innards out and putting them in the T-34/76 turret...I didn't think there was enough room to do that. The Taigen T-34/85 turret uses the Asiatam elevation and recoil unit and it is quite big. As it is I have taken the JCC Compact Recoil unit and cut the hell out of it to make it smaller to fit in the smaller T-34/76 turret. The Asiatam unit might fit physically, but it may not allow for any depression of the gun even in the 1943 turret.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Thanks for all that advice, it makes it so much easier for me! Still, I'll give all the alternatives a trial fit and see where it takes me. I can use the Taigen metal wheels on the 1st and 5th axles but it would be good to use our friends printed types in the middle three.

I know I'm not ready yet, far from it, but is there a good 1/16 T34/76 early type kit out there? ;)

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Don't forget this build viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19242 with the t34/76 43 model
General Jumbo01

Well Mr Ram, surprised you didn't flag this one up. Wonderful build! All a bit before my tank hobby finally took off so l missed your build but I'll be giving it some close inspection now. I'm still considering taking the lazy route using the ready fitting, ready wired 85 deck. This also allows me to do a fully detailed static hull build of the kit parts.

BTW, l trust you've sorted out those wheels now!

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Not so much progress on the wheel printing yet, unfortunately. Herman's Taigen wheel arrived this week and it's significantly different to the Heng Long wheels I'd based my designs on both in terms of dimensions and structure. I'll rework my drawings to suit the Taigen axles, bearings and tyres which might take another few days since it's not as straightforward as I imagined it would be.

In the meantime I've been doing a little bit of science. To be completely honest with you guys, I've already spent all of the proceeds from selling the SU-85 on various bottles of resin; mostly strong engineering stuff. Some of these are about AU$100 for a one kilo bottle! I whipped up a test shape 5 x 5 x 80 mm with an inbuilt breakpoint. I then measured (in duplicate) the amount of force that they could take at a 45° angle before failing. I also made a comparison test piece out of 5 x 5 mm styrene bar. The results were interesting, but probably don't tell the whole picture:

Code: Select all

Blu                         2098 g
Blu + Tenacious (2:1)       1982 g
Build                       2961 g
Build + Tenacious (2:1)     2836 g
Styrene control             1884 g
IMG20210620102716.jpg
Build is certainly more rigid than Blu but that may come at the cost of being more brittle, especially with fine details. From what I've read, Blu + Tenacious is the go-to when it comes to strong resin for functional parts, and it has a generous amount of flex which would likely save it from most failures but I doubt that road wheels are going to be subject to the kind of impact forces that would crack them. Once I figure out a Taigen-friendly design for the wheels I might print off a few in each type of resin and see if there are any differences.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

General Jumbo01 wrote:That's great news on the heater. I wish l had your gear to play with but l'd still need your experience and skills! I still want the printed wheels please, as you can see - the SU is waiting!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 599fc0.jpg
I'd call it stubbornness and overconfidence rather than experience and skills, but thank you!
tankme wrote:As for taking the T34/85 turret innards out and putting them in the T-34/76 turret...I didn't think there was enough room to do that. The Taigen T-34/85 turret uses the Asiatam elevation and recoil unit and it is quite big. As it is I have taken the JCC Compact Recoil unit and cut the hell out of it to make it smaller to fit in the smaller T-34/76 turret. The Asiatam unit might fit physically, but it may not allow for any depression of the gun even in the 1943 turret.
I initially tried the Asiatam elevation/recoil unit and physically could not get it to fit in the 76 turret. I ended up making my own mount and recoil system before replacing it with a butchered Clark setup.
General Jumbo01 wrote:Well Mr Ram, surprised you didn't flag this one up.
I did! Probably just got lost in the wall of text I posted alongside it. I'll get back to it and finish it for good (I promise!) with these wheel shenanigans.

Also spent some time this week fixing up the heater. The original setup wasn't exactly high-tech or long-term:
IMG20210617171316.jpg
Safety first! The reason I bought the Build resin in the first place was its temperature resistance, it will work well in an enclosure for the heater and its electronics.
IMG20210620125415.jpg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sorry the Taigen set up is less than ideal :(
I still reckon if you can pull off a version of each you will be on a winner.
As discussed, I do have a solution to the 3D project funding deficit if you choose to take me up on it ;) !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

I don't know what Mr Bix is offering re help but l'd be happy to help too. There's a great future here!

Raminator

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Sorry the Taigen set up is less than ideal :(
The opposite, actually! They're a better design than the Heng Long ones I'd based mine off.

I've redone the hubs to match the Taigen design. I figured if I replicate their setup as closely as I can, then it should be possible to pair one of my outer wheels with a Taigen inner. It's not as good as a full metal set, but it might do!
T-34_stampedwheel_08.png
I'll get some test prints going and see how the new design works. Once I'm happy with it, I'll print half a set in clear Blu and the other half in smoky Build. I'll install them on my T-34, go for a drive and see if one type breaks or wears out before the other. I think I should be ready to start printing them for anyone who wants them then.
General Jumbo01 wrote:I don't know what Mr Bix is offering re help but l'd be happy to help too.
He wants to buy my T-34/76! I guess I won't have to worry about not finishing any of my tanks if I sell them all to Herman... :think:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"He wants to buy my T-34/76! I guess I won't have to worry about not finishing any of my tanks if I sell them all to Herman... :think:"

Yes :shifty: :shh: Yes he really does...............
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”