A39 Tortoise

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby tomhugill » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am

Hey folks,

This build has been floating about for a very long time, Iain started it many years back.

Its been languishing in my garage for a couple of years before I managed to persuade Woz to take her away and create some printed pieces for her.

I now have some excellent detail pieces. Next stage is getting her sorted mechanically, at the moment its running plastic kt tracks, sprockets and idlers and uses doubled up hl sherman bogies.

I'm hoping to use a pdsgb but I'm not 100% that carson does long enough shafts and with covid new custom ones aren't avalible, so may need to put in some long shaft taigen v2s in in the short term. Ive got a henntec adjuster, metal tracks and sprockets ready as well.

Hull reinforcement will be needed, thinking of using angle alloy for the hull side with some cross braces, this worked well on the panzer iv hull, will just need to be scaled up.

Will be running a clark tk60 or 80 with a nie big speaker. Thats pretty much where she's upto, looking forward to making some progress. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
User avatar
tomhugill
Captain
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am

:D :thumbup: We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation :thumbup: :)
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby tomhugill » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:47 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote::D We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation :)
Yes genuine rust, the greenstuff however is proper putty!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
User avatar
tomhugill
Captain
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby Shootermcgraw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote::D We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation :)


Sent from my ONA19TB003 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Shootermcgraw
Recruit
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 pm
Location: U.S.A. Michigan

Postby Jarlath » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Are you sure the green stuff is not a Chia-Pet? :)

Looking forwards to seeing this completed... (Will Barry's M1 Tusk be complete by then?)
User avatar
Jarlath
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby tomhugill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Jarlath wrote:Are you sure the green stuff is not a Chia-Pet? :)

Looking forwards to seeing this completed... (Will Barry's M1 Tusk be complete by then?)



Chia pet :haha: It'll be sanded back before I prime it. Hmmm Barry's work rates very high, but he does do a lot more work!!!
User avatar
tomhugill
Captain
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby mcevoyi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi all
Its been a while since I see the tortoise
And a long time since I bashed any plastic
But here is my original build thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11111&hilit=Tortoise

mcevoyi
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: highbridge somerset uk and cyprus too

Postby AlwynTurner » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Saw this beast in the flesh at the Tank Museum and thought it would make a good subject, but what a beast! 8O

Looking good Tom. :thumbup: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
User avatar
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 am
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Postby Ad Lav » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

mcevoyi wrote:Hi all
Its been a while since I see the tortoise
And a long time since I bashed any plastic
But here is my original build thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11111&hilit=Tortoise


Quality craftsmanship Iain.

Good to see you still around.
User avatar
Ad Lav
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby mcevoyi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Still out here Adam.

Been super busy with a house and county move. Slowly getting things straight and looking to start building again ..

mcevoyi
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: highbridge somerset uk and cyprus too


Return to Other Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jimster and 7 guests