Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

Post by c.rainford73 »

Just be careful..... All the screwing could get one self in trouble lol
Tanks alot.... :wave:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's coming along really nicely, and you are right, those sprockets are beauties. :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

wibblywobbly wrote:It's coming along really nicely, and you are right, those sprockets are beauties. :clap:
Thanks, Wibb. The problem with the suspension is going to be lining it all up. I'm going to use the sprockets as the datum line for the rest. When I've got the motors in, and the sprockets attached, I'll be able to see how well the tracks and running gear will line up. But I really want to put some paint on the wheels and hull first. Currently, I think I'll need some 5mm nylon bearing spacers for the 'swingarms', as they're almost fouling the body, and I've also had to modify the Henntec adjusters. The main housings (bearings) for the unit are illustrated as being on the outside of the hull in the limited PDF that accompanies the kit. This couldn't possibly work, as the idlers would also be outside the mudguards :O . Ah well, live and learn, eh?. :shifty: The joy of 'scratch' building is in finding answers to questions you never thought you'd ask. :problem: But when you find a workable solution, it certainly gets the old endorphins buzzing!
I could just do with a few days of Sun, and gale-free weather, to put some primer and paint on the wheels and chassis. Once the paint is on, and the rubber tyres fitted to the wheels, I can start working out final alignment positions....
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Whilst waiting for better weather, and a spot of painting potential, I thought I'd sort out a few lingering issue. The first is with the Commander'sCupola. There isn't one. The kit only provided a small support piece that has the shape of the two hatch doors contained within it (see below).
First thing is, I'm aiming to imitate this version of the Cromwell Cupola on Chris' website. Given my modelling limitations, and lack of experience..mine will only be an approximation 8O
This is how it should be done; but won't be...
How it should be done..but won't be
How it should be done..but won't be
Cromwell Cupola idea G.jpg (98.32 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
Here, I have to create some styrene rings to build the basic cupola shape, starting with the outer ring (used to drain rain off on the real thing, I guess.. :think: )
Outer ring- outside edge cutting
Outer ring- outside edge cutting
The wee cutter is a real bargain tool, and cuts through styrene like butter..and fingernails/fingertips like cheese :haha:
Here ably assisted by the Invisible Man!
Here ably assisted by the Invisible Man!
Outer ring bonded to Turret
Outer ring bonded to Turret
Now to cut and bond extra rings to build the cupola up:
Extra rings to support hatch plate
Extra rings to support hatch plate
The Hatch plate (the only component to have come with the basic kit) is a perfect fit in the ring I cut out. Pretty pleased with that :)
Hatch plate bonded into new cupola ring..perfect fit!
Hatch plate bonded into new cupola ring..perfect fit!
and this is what it looks like so far in a test fitting. Much more remains to be done..
Basic cupola shape in place..
Basic cupola shape in place..
All for now folks, I have nae had my dinner..so, it's time for supper instead :haha: This damned addiction soaks time up. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Right, well here we go again. I'm amazed at how much time these projects can soak up, especially with the online research. I've just bought a book on the Cromwell: David Fletcher's Cromwell Cruiser Tank 1942-50 from Osprey publishing. It's a fascinating read, with plenty of photos. The problem is, nobody seems to have taken aerial shots of the Tank. They're from all points of the compass, but none from above. This means that all I have for reference is a black and white blueprint, and the pic from Chris Ludwig's site. Thus, my 'Cupola' is my take on what I've seen there. :think: The Cupola is still a work in progress, but it's also satisfying as it represents my first real attempt at making something entirely from scratch (apart from 'Whoopee' :haha: ):
Rough Cupola with hinges
Rough Cupola with hinges
All of these components are in rough, until final preparation for painting and refining, etc., just in case you think it's a tad unkempt! :lolno:
Loader's hatch getting Nylon hinges
Loader's hatch getting Nylon hinges
These hinges are for aircraft ailerons, and they are tough. I also found that they're resistant to Contacta Pro, and even superglue. This made the screws all the more vital. The box of screws illustrated was bought years ago (1000 items in all) for repairing watches and spectacles; but they've now found a much better use. :P
Ever onward
Ever onward
Waiting in the wings, after the body tarting work: the suspension...Getting that perfect will be one of the biggest challenges.
Some burrs to remove from bespoke sprockets
Some burrs to remove from bespoke sprockets
Decided to put some paint on the tank. Why now? Well: 1. Paint shows up imperfections, need for extra filling/ sanding etc., 2. Shows whether paint is the right tone. 3. I was bored with being blinded by a white tank
4. It's fun getting a preview of what all the effort's been for. 5. It was the first sunny day in while. Yippee..
Humbrol Olive Drab no 155
Humbrol Olive Drab no 155
Periscopes in place
Periscopes in place
Humbrol Olive drab and the Blue Loch
Humbrol Olive drab and the Blue Loch
Back to the turret syndrome.. After the Cupola's been filled and sanded, i have to make a circular access plate for the rear of the Turret, and a grenade launcher port for the roof of the turret, then it's pretty finished, apart from the internals...dreading those!
Another angle
Another angle
Now some extra work on the Cupola. I've make the rests/ supports seen on the early type, and added some Milliput which will need sanding later. Milliput is a brilliant BRITISH product, by the way!
Cupola final details in rough..
Cupola final details in rough..
Time for a cuppa...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Cuppa be damned !........................its Dram time with an effort like that put in mate ;)
That box of watch screws is a gem, wish I had one.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Scratch that post - wrong tank!!!! :{ :{ :{
Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

AlwynTurner wrote:Don't know if this helps as it seems to show a very shallow cupola
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/prinz83/e/b304d95 ... 2819bbd329
and they've got the bluprint switched left/right
Alwyn
Thanks for that Alwyn. I've no idea how you found that Challenger build, but it's gratifying in a way to find someone on the other side of the planet making a model of a British tank!

When sanded, my cupola will be fairly flat..certainly if you compare it with Macman's in his 2015 Cromwell build on RCTW. I had to guess the proportions, but mine will look pretty much like the expertly made one on
Chris' website....except not nearly so expert :D
As far as i can tell the one built for Chris (not by) Chris has the basic shape of the early cupola correct. There is a later model, and someone made a 1/35 version of it here..or at least I think it's 1/35:
Cupola with vision blocks
Cupola with vision blocks
'Accurate armour' Cromwell cupola.jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
As you can see, this is a later model with vision blocks. I imagine it was fitted to the MK V11 (welded) version of the Cromwell, whereas I'm modelling the MK IV bolted and riveted version, identical to the Tamiya 1/35
scale model I made earlier in the year. This type has no vision blocks, and has a shallow convex outline, like the top of an old 'VR' and 'GR' traditional red letter box. This is what I'm aiming for. Though I don't want 'Victoria Regina' embossed on it :haha:

To Herman, yes I was just pandering to the Brit stereotype thing with the 'Cuppa' notion. :haha: Friday night is indeed my 'dram' night. 'Twill be a 15-year old Glen Grant single- malt! I only indulge on a Friday as a 'reward' for a hard week doing....well, doing absolutely nothing. :lolno: :lolno: Nonetheless, it's a welcome delusion in retirement.. :thumbup:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Herman, I just bought a pack of those micro screw/nuts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332075475941? ... EBIDX%3AIT
£3.53 post paid from China
I use them on my Nashorn servo couplings

43rd that build is definitely worth more than one dram - looking fabulous. :clap: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, 43rdR&R,
I don't want to hear any more 'learner' nonsense from you. ;o) The scratch built cupola hatches on this tank are exemplary work and not embarked upon without a skillset to complete them with. Following along!
Regards,
Painless

P.S. excellent choice of Tamiya kits! You will have great fun and learn a lot while building the Panther.
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”