507 schwere Heeres Panzer Abteiling, Mid Prod Tiger 1

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

507 schwere Heeres Panzer Abteiling, Mid Prod Tiger 1

Post by Red Devils »

Hey Guys,

The subject tank.

Been bashing away on my Heng Long Tiger 1 for about two months now and I thought I would share an update with ya'll. Plus I figured, with all the questions i've been asking, I display the reason why.

My plan is to do this tank in sub-sections, upper hull, lower hull to include all the electronics and finally the turret. The intent is to remove the BB function which I'll miss (the cats won't) and go with a recoil system. The lower hull will have 3:1 ratio metal gears with maybe the 460 motors that everyone is talking about. The other electronic systems required i'm still up in the air about, may go Tamiya, ElMod, or maybe this will be a future discussion point with a few of you experts.

So here we go, on the upper hull I applied the Zimmerit utilizing Milliput but before that, I scratch built with styrene and flat copper all the attachments and hangars for the track cable. Also, I removed a section of the side mud guards and added the mounting blocks.

On the engine deck I fashioned some Tow Cable Holders (which are operational) and new rear deck hook retaining base, both port and starboard side. I also added the weld beads around each object. The intent is to remove the engine cover and replace it with the Tamiya cover with all the Mid-Prod mods.

Up front, I replaced the Driver / MG Hull plate for a Tamiya one, some slight mods required. Added the center mounted Bosch light that I got from Welsh Dragons (Thank you Steve) and added some clear plastic in behind the driver vision block assembly. I removed the port side, side fender off the mud guard and added the Tamiya replacement. Also, every rivet has been replaced on the mud guards with rivets from Scale Hardware.

On the top deck, I removed all the molded on Pioneer tools, hatches, etc. and filled in the holes with automotive bondo.

Starboard side details

A little while ago, I bought two Tiger 1 Perscopes from tanks_for_the_memories (Thanks Tim - great guy to deal with and thanks for info on the detailed pics of the periscopes) and scratch built some detail items, to include the bolts, springs and mounting attachments.

Hope you enjoy and I'll keep you updated as I go. Also, if anyone has some actual photos of this tank, I would really appreciate seeing them. I like accuracy. Thanks.

http://public.fotki.com/Mortar-Dog/
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: 507 schwere Heeres Panzer Abteiling, Mid Prod Tiger 1

Post by Saxondog »

Brilliant,very fine details and really a credit to your skills. Fine work :thumbup:
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:clap: :clap: :wave: :thumbup: great work mate look forward to next photos
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

Really nice work mate and your attention to detail is great, look forward to seeing her finished.......... :thumbup:
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

Excellent work!..It's nice to see the attention you're giving this.

Are you going to use Aber clamps or scratch your own?
What, me worry?
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

It's really looking fantastic Red. Only problem is: you've now shamed me into detailing my own periscopes!
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
thejunkman
Recruit

Post by thejunkman »

Cracking stuff, inspires me to do more to my own Tiger :thumbup:
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hi Red Devil,any idea on the cable clamps and rod guides? I have made steal cables and the cleaning rods using brass tubing and round balsa,and am considering a square block of Plasticard drilled for the cables and rods but not splitting the block just making it into a single assembly and attaching to the hull.

Any suggestion would be helpful?
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Great. Love the work and chosen camo. Cant wait to se it go on.
Drammen Rock City
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

Red what can I say. this is awesome work, you really set the standard for the rest of us canucks to follow. :thumbup: glad your on our side.
Totally inspiring work :clap: :clap: :clap:
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill

Return to “Heng Long Builds”