What a difference a day makes

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
wibblywobbly
Major

What a difference a day makes

Post by wibblywobbly »

Decided to smarten up 'Ye Olde Tiger'. I removed all of the tools and stripped the whole tank down to basic components, it took me a while to scrub the old acrylics off and rub down the shell and parts, but I wanted to make sure that the paint stuck this time! There were about 5 layers on there? I have to admit that I was inspired by Beekays winter camo job, and that this doesn't come close!  :-[

Just need to re-apply my tank number decals that I managed to soak off the old version and it's done. Still need to figure out how to mount Elmod IR sensors in the cupola though, that mushroom looks like a dogs breakfast when it's sticking out of the hatch!

Rob G
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Re: What a difference a day makes

Post by Mackem »

Looks good to me, not much room left in that hull, very neat.

John
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
FireflyKeith
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by FireflyKeith »

Looks great inside and out, nice work.
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

thats some nice work youre doing rob, that must of took ages to get all that paint off,

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It was a do or die mission once I had started. I had to make sure that there were no electronics attached to the bits that I needed to soak the paint off. I just left them in a washing up bowl with Fairy Liquid, and then used a scrubbing brush, toothbrush, plastic scourer, sponge, and then wet fine grade emery to get the surfaces flat. Then it was all rinsed off in clean water and left to dry overnight. Some of it still didn't come off so I just had to make sure that it was all flat.

It's the big advantage of using water based acrylics.

I am now looking at getting hold of a can of acrylic matt lacquer from B&Q and sealing all of the paint and decals in.

Rob G
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

sounds like a real headache to me, still its done now, a tip for the future on stripping paint off of plastic, use car clutch and brake fluid, soak the parts in it for awhile and then use a tooth brush or the like to get the paint off, the paint comes of really easy and dont affect the plastic, ive used this on some models in the past and it is effective

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".

Return to “Heng Long Builds”