Correcting the mantlet on a Heng Long Tiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Correcting the mantlet on a Heng Long Tiger

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I'd promised on another thread to post details of how to do this, so here we go...
First off, I'm going to assume you know how to bust open your tiger - if not, there is 3 screws on the underbelly and 6 more tucked up under the tracks - you will need to push one of the track pins out (they are pressed in from the inboard side) and remove them from either side in order to get at these screws.

Next up are the 3 screws holding the turret ring gear to the turret, and 'un-soldering' the 3 wires (non S&S - 5 wires if its a Smoke & Sound tank) leading to the turret. Please consult the wiring diagram half way down this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5760954/tm.htm (the thread also covers breaking apart the tracks). You are advised to mark the wires before removing them as they are not consistantly coloured!

Now that you have disconnected the turret...
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Re: Correcting the mantlet on a Heng Long Tiger

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

As you can see from the 3rd pic, this is a job for Mr Dremel! The best I can tell you is take it slow and keep checking the fit until you are happy. The gun comes in 3 pieces - the barrel and the back of the mantlet fit together, but the box section part that you need to cut has to be lined up by eye. Don't cut too much away or the screws will not have enough to grip on - tho you could always glue the parts together if you had too :o

For the emitter tube I use small stiring rods from our coffee room - best to describe them as a tiny drinking straw, I can't remember if I've seen anything similar in the UK ??? They're about 4" long and a little less than 3mm OD - just right for stuffing the 3mm LED of the DBC inside without fear of it ever falling out! They are PVC tho, so they need to be sanded heavily first in order for loctite to get a grip. As they are intended to be used once and then thrown away (yeah, I know - what a blooming waste ::) - the old UK office had real spoons for stiring your coffee, unfortunately some ****** has stolen all the cutlary from our kitchen here!) I just keep them when I'm done stiring - much cheaper than brass tube or whatever else you might buy!
The emitter can also be mounted in the machine gun LED hole if you don't have one - I did this with my Kursk Tiger as it was non S&S and I bought a LED hull machine gun for it instead. I would say tho that for the DBC emitter its easier to drill a fresh hole than try to use the MG hole, as its much bigger (5mm) and just that extra little more tricky to get the emitter pointing where you want it.
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

nice work Martin
I flipped the mantlet on my first tiger the second one came with it flipped so I had less work to do
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

good write up mart, so far ive only done 2 mantlets, my Tiger and kristens "131", not my favourite job

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I've one more tiger to flip - must say its easier to do it with a dremel cutter than a drill or saw  ;D

Return to “Heng Long Builds”