M113 conversion from a scrap M41

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Sifromdevon
Recruit

M113 conversion from a scrap M41

Post by Sifromdevon »

Please see below photos of my fully amphibious M113 APC modified from a walker bulldog chassis, purchased faulty from Howes Models via evilbay, ironically the model cost £21.00 and when I sold the internals turret etc I made £23.00... thats a first for me, but alas i have fitted the metal track set and gearboxes. I have totally rebuilt the internal power arrangment now fitted with two viper ESC's and 4 channel RC by Futaba, the model runs on a 9.6V 2300mah pack of AA pencels. Across ground it is pretty good, on the water is a different matter as it is powered by its tracks water speed is pityfull, but watching spectators faces as i drive it into the lake is worth it all.... comments most appreciated....

Regards

Si

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196 ... ure002.jpg
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196 ... ure003.jpg
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196 ... GP1392.jpg
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M113 conversion from a scrap M41

Post by fv432 »

WOW Nice work si
have always wanted an  r/c m113 and yours is brilliant care to share more pics we would be honoured ;) ;D ;D ;D

also a full build report with pictures (I like pictures you now)  ;) ;D ;D ;D

oopppss nearly forgot welcome to the forum mate
What part of devon are you from??

Kind regards Rob
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Cheers Rob

Thanks for the welcome and comments, I am downloading more photos to photobucket now, and i'll draft out  a build description for you. I didn't want to get carried away in case people thought it was junk... walk before you run sort of.. as this is my first large scale armour project I thought tact was the order of the day....

I guess watch this space....

Regards

Si

P.S. I live in North Devon near Barnstaple... check out my other toys on the other RC hobbies page of this forum
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

That is definatly cool Si don't worry about posting anything here as from what I have seen it isnt JUNK :o :o :o
and your build report would be most welcome

what scale is the M113 ??
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Hi Rob

As i used the existing chassis of an M41 the actual scale of the M113 is around 1/12, anything less would have made the proportions of the model way out of scale (at 1/16th the tracks protrude beyond the hull plates). the reason i built one of the ambulance versions once simply that after building the LCM I got fed up of making 50cal Brownings and the ambulance was the cop out....

Simplistically...

I took the M41 and removed the upper deck and turret. Then I stripped out all of the electrics and associated wiring. I removed the old gearboxes and replaced them with the new upgraded metal versions. I made two 'grease boxes' which were epoxied into new holes cut into the hull of the M41 these were filled with silicone gease and during assembly the output shafts from the gearboxes fit through them, these essentially seal the hull during swimming, each of the suspensiion mounts was sealed internally with silicone rubber. The cover to the battery box was epoxied in place underneath and the top cut away inside the hull (i later found that the battery needs to be placed at the rear of the model to counter the weight of the new gearboxes. All the screw holes and switch holes in the lower hull need filling. The main hull conversion is simply a box made from styrene sheet, this is formed by horizontally building out the sides, front and rear of the lower hull with plasticard and ensuring any gaps are well sealed, once completed the vertical sides of the hull can be added again ensure a good fit, finally the upper deck is formed in two pieces, one is a picture frame section around 20mm wide positioned around the top edges of the hull, this permits access for major maintenance, the second piece is the main upper deck section which holds all the detail. this section is sealed with silicone grease and screwed in to place with servo screws. I found that bracing the sides of the APC with 10mm sq wooden beading gave an extra rigidity to the build. To aneble swimming the top faces and edges of the tracks need covering or all the thrust generated is lost sideways, I made card templates of the side skirts, cut them from plasticard and screwed them into place with 10BA screws, these are then removable to allow the tracks to be changed. Finally a coat of tamiya green and various weathering techniques provide the finished model with an air of authenticity.

Here's a few of the M113 in build

Regards

Si
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

you make it sound so simple :o :o :o at 1/12 that is quite large would love to see it in the flesh ;) ;D ;D

lovely work Si keep showing more of your talents
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

nice work their mate, and welcome to our forums!! ;D ;D ;D
Mezzerik
Lance Corporal

Post by Mezzerik »

Yes welcome and nice job you've benn doing on that tank!
"ITS MOVING ON WATER SIRS"
"ITS SOME SORT OF TANK SHIP"

Your Pershing will stand no chance against my tank.

After a long time away...I have returned.
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Thanks for the comments and welcome

Si
septon
Sergeant

Post by septon »

Great build giving me ideas for a Sherman DD :)
midland rep with too Many tanks

Return to “Heng Long Builds”