Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby tanks_for_the_memory » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Now don't pile on the pressure guys - you mean I actually have to finish this thing?! 8O

Of course I'm flattered - but its up to you bigwigs. I'm just a lowly NCO... :eh:
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 pm

jarndice wrote:I agree Herman,
Might I suggest expanding your idea to include the "Definitive" builds of Scalawags Challenger 2 :thumbup:
and Philipats Panzer 4 :thumbup: To mention but two off the top of my head.
Shaun.

I was going there with others, but since you mentioned it, I agree.

Just thinking out loud here all, so dont get bent out of shape, but perhaps the now redundant Models Masterclass section could become the "sticky" thread gallery for single builds of note ?

Again, this could be a build thread sticky to be used as a technical guide and research matter for all to benefit from without having to go looking.

Specifically im looking at the actual machine, the work gone in, the innovative use of commercial materials/parts, and home made solutions, the research level, and the picture steps etc etc.

Not as a show off so much as a benchmark "how-to" on certain versions.

Enough on this in here(sorry Mr Tanks) I will bring this up in General discussion.
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby Markocaster » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:30 am

HERMAN BIX wrote:I actually dread the day this is finished !!
what will we use as the keystone of Tiger builds .................. :problem:

Me too I love checking out this build ! Simply amazing!!!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Postby Aussie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:15 am

Did this brilliant Tiger ever get painted?

Aussie
Corporal

Postby lifeofbrian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 am

Nice build, so many great tips too. Where did you get the Voyager brass for the shovel and other bits, I couldn't find it on their website. All I can see in model shops is there clasps set.
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Postby tanks_for_the_memory » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

I've sent a pm to lifeofbrian. It looks as if the Voyager sets are discontinued but you can still find them if you look hard enough...

As for the Tiger, I am afraid that no more progress has been made. She still awaits painting... Hopefully this summer when the weather improves...

I have been completely distracted by building a 1/35 diorama of a village in Tuscany being liberated by the Allies in WWII. I decided that it was time to compete with my youngest son whilst he was still winning competitions! With luck it should be finished for Scale Model World (IPMS) Telford in November.

Tanks / Tim
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Postby doc larsson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 pm

tftm

pure genius attention to detail is beyond compare ! A Master at work sir !

doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Postby Tiggr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 pm

But.....but......
Some of the mudguards are missing...... :D Just kidding

As for a Tiger winning TOTM, highly unlikely I'd say due to the proliferation of T1s at this scale........in spite of the superb modelling ! :thumbup:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 pm

One of the reasons for the proliferation of Tiger 1 Builds is the dedication that TFTM has put into his build.
When I started on my First Tiger I had no idea how to make a working MG Ball mount, I learnt that from his build and much more,
I would suggest many other members of this Forum owe TFTM a debt of gratitude for the Tips and inspiration.
What we accept as normal was novel and untried because nobody was selling the upgrades which meant turning to the likes of TFTM and others like him so we could learn how to make them ourselves.
We are now in a position where the build is secondary and the Paint and weathering and the R/C and electronics in general have taken centre stage.
This is because there is so much material available on this and other Forums that makes the build even to an incompetent such as I Doable, But the detailing and electronics still takes a standard of achievement which offers a challenge we can aspire to without always succeeding.
So thank you to all those who have gone before we owe you.
Shaun.
jarndice
Major

Postby Cruiser133 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:18 pm

I am in the process of converting/rehabbing a tired Tamiya Tiger into a fresh late model and I have referenced this thread multiple times to answer questions I had especially with regard to the changes made on the turret between early and late.
Cruiser133
Private

Postby tanks_for_the_memory » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Dear all,

As some of you will know, I have been an active member of this wonderful forum for some years. My main contribution has been this VERY SLOW rebuild of a Heng Long Tiger 1. This now sits on my shelf about 99% complete – except for paint – and has done so for the past year. I give you my solemn promise that I will finish it… I have to!

However, I have had my distractions. Not just the usual work, family, etc – but a return to my original passion: 1/35 scale dioramas. Having watched (and advised) my sons create their own miniature masterpieces over the last few years am now working on my own ‘masterpiece’. Anyone curious enough can find my blog here:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... ?th=120026

Another development which has come about relates to the ‘man / boy shed’. For the last five years this has been the place where myself and my two sons have crafted our models. However, my eldest (now 14) has retired from the hobby and my youngest (12) says he is about to hang up his airbrush (but not before I can prod him into finishing his last two dioramas). What has taken their interest (and mine to some extent) is music. They are both in bands (as I used to be) and they want the space to make their racket. Turns out the shed is the ideal place. So I am effectively being moved out and into a somewhat smaller lean-to behind the house.

All this means the following: I can no longer justify hanging on to all of the various other RC projects which I have amassed over the past few years – and even if I could I simply don’t have the space. I am hoping, however, that my loss is someone else’s gain (although obviously I am looking to recoup some of my costs).

So, please see my posting in the For Sale section:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23450&p=215404#p215404

Thanks, Tanks
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Postby Soeren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm

This looks very well done. Some of the detail I might incorporate when it is time for my Tiger. It also shows, that plastic hull and turret are much easier to modify than the metal counterpart.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby philipat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm

tanks_for_the_memory wrote:Dear all,

As some of you will know, I have been an active member of this wonderful forum for some years. My main contribution has been this VERY SLOW rebuild of a Heng Long Tiger 1. This now sits on my shelf about 99% complete – except for paint – and has done so for the past year. I give you my solemn promise that I will finish it… I have to!

However, I have had my distractions. Not just the usual work, family, etc – but a return to my original passion: 1/35 scale dioramas. Having watched (and advised) my sons create their own miniature masterpieces over the last few years am now working on my own ‘masterpiece’. Anyone curious enough can find my blog here:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... ?th=120026

Another development which has come about relates to the ‘man / boy shed’. For the last five years this has been the place where myself and my two sons have crafted our models. However, my eldest (now 14) has retired from the hobby and my youngest (12) says he is about to hang up his airbrush (but not before I can prod him into finishing his last two dioramas). What has taken their interest (and mine to some extent) is music. They are both in bands (as I used to be) and they want the space to make their racket. Turns out the shed is the ideal place. So I am effectively being moved out and into a somewhat smaller lean-to behind the house.

All this means the following: I can no longer justify hanging on to all of the various other RC projects which I have amassed over the past few years – and even if I could I simply don’t have the space. I am hoping, however, that my loss is someone else’s gain (although obviously I am looking to recoup some of my costs).

So, please see my posting in the For Sale section:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23450&p=215404#p215404

Thanks, Tanks

Got some nice stuff for sale there. Too bad the shipping across the pond is prohibitive.

Sounds like the boys are following in your footsteps as a youth. :thumbup:

Looking forward to the completion of this Tiger, though.

philipat
Sergeant

Postby tanks_for_the_memory » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks Philipat!

I certainly didn’t work on this beauty for the best part of six years to leave her high and dry...

As for transatlantic shipping, I have ended up sending the Tamiya Tiger to California and the Pak 40 to Canada!

My Panzer IV, Stug conversion and super Taigen Tiger are still unsold though...

Tanks
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Postby SovereignZuul » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello my friend,

Can't leave the most popular build on this forum section unfinished. Even I've resumed my build as well. Hope the workshop change over went/is going well.

Now hurry and take your time when you can completing the masterpiece!

- Sov
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Postby tanks_for_the_memory » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Well, when Mr Zuul starts to 'hassle' me then I better listen!

Fear not, I have not forgotten or given up. Luckily the shed transition is almost complete, although my priority has to remain my 1/35 diorama...

So watch this space!

In the meantime, here are some images of the sheds...

The old shed shortly to become the music studio.jpg
The old shed shortly to become the music studio.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

And the new modelling shed:

There's plenty of natural light.jpg
There's plenty of natural light.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

Plenty of shelves!.jpg
Plenty of shelves!.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

The other desk is for painting (although at the moment occupied by my youngest son's 'last' project.jpg
The other desk is for painting (although at the moment occupied by my youngest son's 'last' project.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

And there's my Normandy Tiger waiting the final push....jpg
And there's my Normandy Tiger waiting the final push....jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Postby Soeren » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh yeah, I see it, I see it :D

Would be nice to see your working on this again. It is very inspiring.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby philipat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 am

Soeren wrote:Oh yeah, I see it, I see it :D

Would be nice to see your working on this again. It is very inspiring.

+1 :thumbup:

philipat
Sergeant

Postby SovereignZuul » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

What a fantastic hobby area! ;D
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Postby DavidByrden » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 am

tanks_for_the_memory wrote:on the more recent HL Tigers they have added two securing strips on each side – these were only used on early models

The side strips were not used at all on this standard turret bin (narrower at the front than the back).
They were used only on the previous model, a wider bin (1.4 meters wide) with parallel sides running straight fore-aft.

David
DavidByrden
Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds