Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Butterfly nuts
Two options for butterfly nuts in 1 16 scale.jpg
Two options for butterfly nuts in 1 16 scale.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
There are two ready sources I have found for these: Schumo and Grandt Line.

The Schumo ones I have already discussed above. They certainly aren't cheap, but the beauty of them is that they are long, metal and strong - so they can actually be used to clamp the wire ropes in place.

The Grandt Line ones come as part of an assortment. Confusingly they are stated to be 1/48 scale, but obviously some are the right size for 1/16. The only drawback is that they are plastic and come with no screw thread attached - making them vulnerable on a R/C tank. Still they might come in handy, e.g. if you are making your own C-hook clamps.
Grandt Line on the left, Schumo on the right.jpg
Grandt Line on the left, Schumo on the right.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Mid hull clamps for towing cable and gun cleaning rods
The central cable and gun barrel cleaning rod brackets installed with Schumo butterfly nuts and temporary rods from toothpicks.jpg
The central cable and gun barrel cleaning rod brackets installed with Schumo butterfly nuts and temporary rods from toothpicks.jpg (30.55 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
The final part of the towing cable brackets present another challenge. With typical German ingenuity / complexity these also doubled up as clamps for the gun cleaning rods. The latter, consisting of six wooden rods connected by brass screw threads, were stored three on each side of the upper hull. Presumably the brush itself was one of the things stored in the rear turret stowage bin. Since, like the other brackets, I have designed these to be workable, I can leave the rods themselves to a later stage of the build. Mañana, mañana...

The lower part of the brackets was welded to the hull roof. This consisted of a thick strip of metal with five semi-circular depressions cut into it. The larger two on each side were to cradle the cables themselves, the middle three (slightly smaller) the rods. These were all clamped in place by a simple metal bar pivoted on the outer edge of the hull and secured by a trusty butterfly nut on the inside (see photos above).

On the HL (and Tamiya) TIgers the lower parts of the brackets come moulded to the hull roof. I wasn't sure they were in the right place (they certainly don't line up with the HL plastic combined tow ropes and cleaning rods) and they weren't very crisp - so off they came.

I then thought I would be terribly clever and make new ones using my trusty punch and die set. This is how I did it:
First I punched holes of the correct diameter - two big and three small - into a thick piece of plastic card.jpg
First I punched holes of the correct diameter - two big and three small - into a thick piece of plastic card.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
First I punched holes of the correct diameter - two big and three small - into a thick piece of plastic card. This was hard work for this thickness - and as an added bonus I managed to hit my thumb with the hammer. I seem to remember my dad doing this once back in the 70s (no he wasn't using a punch and die set to make clamps for a Tiger) - it was the first time I heard him swear. So I followed suit...

Next I used a chisel blade to separate each into two halves. That way you get two for the price (a sore thumb) of one. Note that the one on the left was a bit wonky so I had to do it again.
Next I used a chisel blade to separate each into two halves.jpg
Next I used a chisel blade to separate each into two halves.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
A bit rough and ready - and blurry - I know but they will be mostly hidden when everything is in place.jpg
A bit rough and ready - and blurry - I know but they will be mostly hidden when everything is in place.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
To make myself feel better I test fitted them against a Tamiya hull...
I test fitted them against a Tamiya hull.jpg
I test fitted them against a Tamiya hull.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
As you can see from the shot above the clamps should actually overlap the weld bead which runs around the upper hull, although mine clearly needed a little more trimming. Having looked again at the photos of the original Tigers above I have noticed that the gun cleaning rods must have had a larger diameter than the towing cables - it's the inner grooves in the lower bracket that are larger, not the outer ones. Oh well...

The rest, which followed my procedure for the rear clamps, was relatively simple. Holes were drilled through either end and into the hull after they had been glued in position. The outer hole accommodated a cut-down dress-making pin, the inner hole a Schumo screw and butterfly nut. Meanwhile the upper bracket was made by trimming a postage staple to length, drilling a hole in one end for the pin and cutting a slot in the other (using a fine rotary blade) for the screw. As I have already said, the Taigen ropes are a little too thick - so I expect them to sit better with the Schumo ones.
The central cable and gun barrel cleaning rod brackets installed with Taigen cables.jpg
The central cable and gun barrel cleaning rod brackets installed with Taigen cables.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
Another view - again the dress making pins come in handy. The missing mudguard beneath is work-in-progress battle damage.jpg
Another view - again the dress making pins come in handy. The missing mudguard beneath is work-in-progress battle damage.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
The view from the other side.jpg
The view from the other side.jpg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
So did I do it right?

Well, to be honest, having made the rear clamps since I think I could have saved myself a bit of trouble (and a lot of pain) by just using a round file (and a good eye) to carve the semi-circles into the lower bracket rather than using the punch and die set. Mais, c'est la vie!

News Flash!
Voyager PE16009_03.jpg
Voyager PE16009_03.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
Just when I have finished most of the up-grades to my HL Tiger 1 - along comes this very nice looking photo etch up-grade package from Voyager.

Slightly bizarrely they say this is for the Trumpeter Tiger 1 - in fact it is clearly the Hobbyboss (Hobby Boss?) 1/16 Tiger - perhaps they are the same company. Of course it will do for HL Tigers just as well. It looks absolutely fantastic and, since it is by Voyager, I am hoping that it will be a lot cheaper than Aber as well as easier to put together (that is certainly true of their clamps).

It's not a complete up-grade answer of course - the turret spare track holders are not included (what you see are those which come with the Hobbyboss kit, which are barely adequate). Also, because the Hobbyboss kit has non-opening front and loader's hatches there is nothing to detail them. That's a particular problem for the loader's hatch because the Tamiya parts won't fit (the hatch is smaller) - so it looks as if the only source (for now) is the excellent PE detailing that comes with the Hachette Build Your Own Tiger (issue 4).

[Correction: having now purchased the Voyager sets I am glad to confirm that they DO come with the internal locking mechanism for the front hatches and loader's hatch - but you will still need to source the hand wheel and curved 'slam stop' bracket for the latter from somewhere else...]
Hachette Build Your Own Tiger issue 4 - the PE for the inner loaders hatch details.jpg
The Voyager sets can be bought separately as well - e.g. the side fenders.

Can't wait to see the prices.

See http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdeta ... id=PE16009 for more...

Coming next: new wheels, new tracks, re-think on the zimmerit... but the summer hols loom large.
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Really nice work on the clamps no question...
Love the basically scratch building! :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Always a pleasure getting an update tank's.... real nice work !
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Nuts and bolts update

Just discovered another alternative from Panda Plastics. I don't think these are the same guys who have brought out the 1/16 38t, but I could be wrong.
Panda 1 16 German Nuts and Bolts Set.png
Panda 1 16 German Nuts and Bolts Set.png (136.96 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Anyway, according to their blurb: "Panda has started a new line of 1/16th scale super detailing products. The first in the series is a set of 1/16th scale German nuts and wing nuts that were developed in conjunction with the internationally known resin casting firm of Formations. A variety of different styles of nuts as well as the wing nuts enable the modeler to detail just about anything on a German tank from road wheels to clamps. 45 assorted nuts and 10 wing nuts in each set."

They can be ordered direct here: http://shermantracks.com/catalog/german_nuts_bolts.html

At $18.30 including postage to the UK they are certainly good value. It looks like the set will provide a good variety of nuts and bolts for Tigers and other panzers. Despite their name it is resin, not plastic. The butterfly nuts could be drilled to accept a wire bolt, I guess.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post Summer update...
After finishing work on all of the cable clamps and mantlet fix my Tiger finally has a face again....jpg
After finishing work on all of the cable clamps and mantlet fix my Tiger finally has a face again....jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Well another Summer holiday has come and gone. I am painfully aware that I am approaching the second anniversary of the start of this build diary - but I have long stopped making false promises to my eldest son (who at least now has a 1/6 Stuart to keep him occupied) and myself.

Among the highlights of the family's break in France was a trip to Saumur Tank Museum and the Normandy beaches. Also a stop on the last day at the Vimoutiers Tiger.
The Tiger 1 at Vimoutiers following capture by two plucky G.I.s - Arthur aged 8 & Hector aged 10 August 2013.jpg
The Tiger 1 at Vimoutiers following capture by two plucky G.I.s - Arthur aged 8 & Hector aged 10 August 2013.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
I took the opportunity to take a load of pictures of the Tigers and other armour at both locations. Some of these I will be putting into a separate post: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... 83&t=11390

Of course, the danger in having access to even more reference material is that you are bound to find more things to correct!

So what have I been up to? Well I mentioned above new wheels, tracks and zimmerit. I'll come to each of those in a moment - plus the mantlet. First up, though, a simple fix which started nagging at me as soon as I got back from France:

Replacing the armoured cover for the kugelblende (bow MG mount)
Front view of the MG mount on the Vimoutiers Tiger - taken a couple of months ago.jpg
Front view of the MG mount on the Vimoutiers Tiger - taken a couple of months ago.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Top view of bow MG mount on the Vimoutiers Tiger.jpg
Top view of bow MG mount on the Vimoutiers Tiger.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
I dealt with scratch-building the ball mount for the the kugelblende ("ball shield") earlier in this post. However, having seen the real thing I realized that the external part of the HL part was lacking in definition. Basically there should be an obvious recessed join around the rim of the armoured shield - on the HL one it is only a vague indentation. On the actual tank this was another legacy of the submersible capability of the early Tiger 1s (e.g. the one at Bovington) - a rubber cap was clamped over the aperture.
The old HL armoured cover for the kugelblende just had to go....jpg
The old HL armoured cover for the kugelblende just had to go....jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
The aperture was then enlarged to take the Tamiya part.jpg
The aperture was then enlarged to take the Tamiya part.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Cutting off the HL part was simple enough with a razor saw - but would have been a hell of a lot easier had I done it earlier! The hole was then enlarged and the Tamiya part glued in place. My old plastic ball mount still fitted snugly behind it and I also took the opportunity to spray it a more convincing red primer colour.
I took the opportunity to respray by home made kugelblende the appropriate shade of red primer.jpg
I took the opportunity to respray by home made kugelblende the appropriate shade of red primer.jpg (67.8 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
The ball mount back in place ready for the Tamiya cover to be fitted.jpg
The ball mount back in place ready for the Tamiya cover to be fitted.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
The Tamiya kugelblende armoured shield in place.jpg
The Tamiya kugelblende armoured shield in place.jpg (93.94 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

One thing I will give you credit for T is your amazing attention to detail ... your build gets better every post . 8)
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

hi tftm
I have to take my hat off to you sir for your two year slog of perfection
I honestly find your attention to detail both breathtaking & frightening! :D
I can't wait to see it finished :clap:
lister
p.s will you still let the kids play with it? :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I am currently undertaking a tiger build and your excellent write up has help me no end! I'm just about to attempt to scratch the tow cable holders, better stock up on dress making pins!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
One of the most complex and thorough Tiger 1 builds out there and not even complete yet. *bows* The thing I see with taking a long time to complete a Build is that existing Model tech and parts upgrade and catch up to a person to make their build that much better.
regards,
Painless Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”