Metal Tracks etc? (been pointed to this forum)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
British
Recruit

Metal Tracks etc? (been pointed to this forum)

Post by British »

Hi guys,
          I have been pointed over this way from rc universe, many thanks Frank. I have just got my first tank, and I am very impressed always fancied a tamiya but as I have other hobbies/collections couldn't really afford one! Wasn't to sure about the HL tanks as they are Chinese!

However the misses had a HL one under the tree for me and I am more than happy with it, but as with everything I own I would like to make it better!

I have had a few drunken blitzkriegs across the garden and attacked the kitchen! Which is all great fun, and I see why you guys love it so much! ;D

I'm in a bit of a hurry, I think a nuke went off in here over Christmas! So I will be a cheat and copy and paste my other post! Forgive me!

I look forward to using the forum, and wish you all a Happy New Year.

Many Thanks, British/Ollie

MY ORIGINAL POST/QUESTION:

The misses gave me a HL Tiger 1 for Christmas and I have been looking to upgrade the tracks/wheels etc.. I have found a good company in the UK but the prices are very high! www.tankzone.co.uk

I have also been looking at this website www.matotoys.com the tracks etc are a lot better priced, the road wheels look to be correct for a late war Tiger which I want, however I am not sure if the tracks are correct for a late war Tiger!

Could someone tell me if the mato toys tracks are correct for a late war Tiger and what the difference is between the late and early tracks?

Any help would be great,

Many Thanks,
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Metal Tracks etc? (been pointed to this forum)

Post by fv432 »

Hi ya british/ollie
First up mate welcome to the forum glad to hear your havin fun with your H/Long for the price they are a good little tank and the list is growing in there range

your question ref the tracks they do 2 different versions the first and more common is the "early" style which dont have the "ice" cleats
and the later ones do impact make a late style track with cleats and these can be bought in the uk from the blueslatesman either on E-Bay or he now has a website but expect prices over £100 for a pair you'll also need to upgrade your sprockets and idlers to metal as well (about £20) and if a late style tiger is what your after then the metal roadwheels will be required unless you fancy a hybrid these are about £45 ish

personally i would go with the asiatam version tracks and sprockets/idlers which can be bought from europe via R/C tank D.E again either via E-bay or There website which you'll find on here in the recommended vendors page

anymore info mate give me a shout as ive just got this little lot for my tiger1  (tryin to find "difference" pics now lol)

early style

late style

Kind regards Rob
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

If you're going for the metal upgrades then theink about metal suspension arms as well.
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

Thanks Woz excellent point mate  ;D ;D
British
Recruit

Post by British »

Lol thanks lads, great info. Yeah I was planning on doing the whole lot but added it up and it came to just over £200 at tankzone! So thought I would do the tracks, sprockets and idlers first! Then do the road wheels, arms and mounts! As my wallet crys! :'(

Are the chinese tracks any good?

Thanks again, Ollie
British
Recruit

Post by British »

Thanks mate, yeah I was planning on doing the hatch etc got me eyes on the MG42 one! I plan on doing it over some time, so you can bet I will be back with questions from time to time!

Cheers
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Check ebay, it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Also look for these gearboxes (Item number: 400009033018) They're more expensive but they make a huge difference.
Last edited by Woz on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British
Recruit

Post by British »

Wicked cheers, that website is really good thanks Frank.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi try here for your tracks http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/RadioContr ... rodID=2855 under £40 and you get metal gearboxes with them even if yours has metal gearboxes keep them as spares or sell them for £15 on ebay either way best deal going for tracks.As for other upgrades try everywhere else before tankzone they are the most expencive .Have a look at military might .welsh dragon models. asiatam .rctank de, forgebear most of them on ebay some have web sites.hope this helps .

regards pete
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Welcome to the forum, the sole cause of credit collapse in the uk!

If you are fitting metal suspension arms, sprockets and tracks...you really ought to fit hull stiffeners, as these come with brass support spindles for the metal suspension arms. Ebay 200285063537.

The list goes on, and for what its worth, mine started off at £49...and its cost me about £400?? Mind you, I am long time divorced...can't imagine why?  ;)
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Heng Long Builds”