KV 1 - quick mods.

blimp
Sergeant

KV 1 - quick mods.

Post by blimp »

Hello everybodies , I have been resisting the urge to fiddle with my KV until i'd done my Tiger but a hitch (ordered the wrong bits . Doh) left me with itchy fingers . Then i layed eyes on my KV . It appeared in my growing collection , like they do , very slightly worse for wear . Broken idler and hatch . Nothing major , an Astam hull w/wheels/gearboxes and a shiney new metal hatch and i had a runner to hunt the cat with and stave off the withdrawl pangs .
. . . Until now that is .
    So no more blathering , on with the wot-i-dun-to-it .
    First the offending hatch , i have glued it on several times but it was always weak . It's come off again .
    Strip down time , snip wiring loom (will make new one with connectors) unscrew the gear ring , turret floor , elevation unit + gun . The usual rigmarole . I couldn't get the LED switch off without breaking the studs , never mind , i don't keep it loaded anyway .
    The metal hatch is a direct swop , However the reason they won't open fully is because the hingy bit is too thick and fouls , the metal one is identical - so i made a thinner one from brass strip and tube .
    . . . Sorted .
    • . . . The slight flat on the back edge now allows it to open vertically . In fact i realised that i can make the hinge smaller and it will still operate .
    NEXT . .
    Image Removing the Applique armour , well , i might as well wilst i'm in here, a welded turret would be nice , eh? . . .
    to the bouncy room ! Yay !
    blimp
    Sergeant

Re: KV 1 - quick mods.

Post by blimp »

I removed the armour by trimming back the fixing stubs , then the panels just pop off .
    • . . . the holes were plugged with the leftovers . . .
    . . . some mould shrinkage was visible where the stand offs were, this was tackled at the same time . A touch of filler fixed it .
    Hull armour getting the same treatment . .
    . . The holes were filled with bits of the old armour , I didn't even need to use any platicard . . ;D
    The lower hull plates were done the same way , I'll blank the LED hole in the mantlet , and add weld seams later , a fresh coat of paint . . .
    But for now it's back to shooting those pesky capatalist invader butterflies comrades ! Muhaha !
    Dietrich
    Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Blimp,
    Very nice model.....and the hinge is awesome...and I quote you exactly here..'so I made a thinner one from brass strip and tube'......!!????***** :O WHAT>>>> so you made it 'Just Like That' .....wow it looks great...mine would be a solid mass of solder !!....Could you perhaps do a 'How To Do It' step by step for the Forum...???..with a 'how to avoid a lump of solder' section..??
    Oh and one last thing about the KV.....NOW......Kamerad......it needs painting Panzer Grey, marked up correctly and sent off to fight Joe Stalin and his Communist hordes :haha:
    Phil
    Corporal

Post by Phil »

Now I was holding off buying a KV, but I have to get one after looking at what you are up to!

Thanks for that!

Looking rather good, how much was the hull?
    blimp
    Sergeant

Post by blimp »

The hull ( + wheels ) i got from Steve at Welshdragon , http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/asia ... -976-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Luverly jubbly , strong as an ox too .
    Phil
    Corporal

Post by Phil »

thank you...
    blimp
    Sergeant

Post by blimp »

. . . Do I smell money burning ? :silent: LOL .
    blimp
    Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Dietrich , this is the stuff i use - a paste type , ready mixed with flux .cleans up with water , ordinary electrical solder is no good . Oh , forget the mini blow torch , an ordinary cheap gas lighter works just fine :D Image
    Dietrich
    Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Blimp,
    Solder PAINT.....I have never heard of that before !!! :O ....and the mini blow torch looks great ,as I could use that on my more usual soldering on the Tank or on Motorcycles. I think that perhaps a search of Ebay is coming up....if by any chance that fails, does your local model shop, where you got your parts and equipment from do mail order ?? I have an English address that I can use so there will be no international postage to sort out. Thank you very much indeed for the reply :~
    Alb.
    blimp
    Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Hello Dietrich , I got the solder from a model railway suppliers , they use all sorts of solders for brass , zinc , white metal etc. :D ( p.s. - the number on the label refers to the melting point of the solder ) http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?o ... e&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • If you have difficulty finding any , p.m. me and i'll get some for you . B .

Return to “KV”