Eggy's Sherman.

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Egg on Leggs
Recruit

Eggy's Sherman.

Post by Egg on Leggs »

My first RC tank. Heng Long M4A3 105, metal bogies and tracks.

Got it out of the box and was amazed at the mechanical noise it produced.

After abut 15 minutes the front left bogie blew out of the chassis. Investigation showed that this brand new, covered in QC stickers tank was a lash up. The spigot for the bogie was missing and the screw glued into the remaining hole in the side of the chassis, an additional screw was fitted into the bottom mounting. None of the other bogies had this screw fitted.

Not being in the mood to mess about with returning it I set about repairing. I had a suitable, but a little oversize, Allen screw which I ground down to fit. A slim nut meant the motor was not affected. Still a noisy lump though.

One thing I did notice when it was apart was now flimsy the lower hull was, even with the battery box and webs in place.

Using some 40mm x 20mm x 1.5 mm alloy angle I knocked up some reinforcement.
20220122_091433SMALL.jpg
Using some impressive Gorilla Clear Glue I stuck it all together.
20220122_091433SMALL.jpg
Finally I decided to get rid of the faff of having to turn the tank over to turn it on and off I cut out he battery box and floored the base with some alloy strip I had. This made the hull very rigid.

Final picture of the completed lower hull, wiring to be tidied later. The tank was remarkably quieter than when new, I suspect that the reinforcement and the out rigger bearings for the gearbox otpt shaft have jointly contributed to this.
Attachments
20220130_201927SMALL.jpg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Eggy's Sherman.

Post by Jimster »

Unacceptable that it was shipped like that. Good job on the repair work.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Where did you buy it- or from whom? It could be useful for us to know, so that members aren't diddled by them. Perhaps the vendor is already on the 'WANTED' list here (The 'Avoid-like-the-plague' list). :problem:
In the event, some members here routinely buy working models, perfectly free of flaws, only to rip or saw them to pieces, and reassemble them (hopefully :shh: ) in some souped-up, idealised guise. :/ That's a large part of the hobby, in fact. The RCTW mantra: 'If it ain't broke; break it!'
It's lucky for you that you have the essential repair skills to hand. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Egg on Leggs
Recruit

Post by Egg on Leggs »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Where did you buy it- or from whom? It could be useful for us to know, so that members aren't diddled by them. Perhaps the vendor is already on the 'WANTED' list here (The 'Avoid-like-the-plague' list). :problem:
In the event, some members here routinely buy working models, perfectly free of flaws, only to rip or saw them to pieces, and reassemble them (hopefully :shh: ) in some souped-up, idealised guise. :/ That's a large part of the hobby, in fact. The RCTW mantra: 'If it ain't broke; break it!'
It's lucky for you that you have the essential repair skills to hand. :thumbup:
It was an ebay purchase in this country. I do not think it would be fair to name them as the box arrived sealed and in good order, benefit of the doubt and all that. They were good when I cocked up the original order and immediately returned the mistaken payment.

What is obvious is that this was done at the Heng Long factory, a bodge up of a broken part.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

You are being a "good egg"! (https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/good%20egg)

I approve of your caution and care. I am really sorry, however, about your receiving a stewed-up tank, and I admire your work, shown on brocade (I think that's what the fabric is called). Please do show more as you continue with your great work.
Egg on Leggs
Recruit

Post by Egg on Leggs »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:You are being a "good egg"! (https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/good%20egg)

I approve of your caution and care. I am really sorry, however, about your receiving a stewed-up tank, and I admire your work, shown on brocade (I think that's what the fabric is called). Please do show more as you continue with your great work.
Thank you for the compliment.

Latest view, some tidying up to do.
20220130_201927SMALL.jpg

Return to “Heng Long Builds”