HL Sherman

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Hemifan
Recruit

HL Sherman

Post by Hemifan »

Greetings and a Happy New Year to all:

Been a while since my introduction post. The last several months have been incredibly busy. Bit of a downer when real life gets in the way of the hobby. Anyhow, I have been slowly working on detailing the Sherman 105mm and at this point I have added weld seams, fixed the pistol port, replaced the head and tail lights along with the brush guards in metal, added periscope guards as well as some other detailing with plastic styrene. I've replaced all the grab handles with brass rod and added some rod to the turret to hang stowage from. Planning to replace the spare track holder in the rear with 3d printed replacements.

I did make a mistake and inadvertently glued the commander's hatch shut while securing the stowage rod to the turret with super glue. I had the turret turned upside and added a "dab" of glue it ran down to the hinge. I should have used gel glue. After a brief moment or two just staring at the copula not quite believing what I had carelessly done I resigned myself to saving the 1/16 figures on a future project, the M26.

To simulate the casting effect on the turret and transmission housing I used Tamiya putty and Testors liquid glue. I thinned out the putty and stippled the surface with a stiff bristle brush. I'll be adding a bit more around the seam on the lower rear of the turret to help blend it in but not hide it completely. For other detailing items like stowage, 30 cal and turret items I purchased from Forgebear, DAK RC Tanks - US distributor for DGS Military Hobby and East Coast Armory. A couple of more items to arrive and we are nearly ready for the first paint coat. As I make progress I do plan to cold blue the metal tracks with Birchwood Casey.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL Sherman

Post by Kaczor »

Very nice detailing. If you make casting texture, remember that upper front "plate" with the hatches was also casted. Dont't forget about making holders for towing cable (on Heng Long hull, front holder is missing). Folowing your progress :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"...inadvertently glued the commander's hatch shut while securing the stowage rod to the turret with super glue." There are various brands of de-bonders for super glue (cyanoacrylates). I keep three different brands nearby in case I have such an accident (or glue my fingers together.) Before you paint, you should be able to get the hatch open, sand it where the glue touched, and it may be good as new.
Hemifan
Recruit

Post by Hemifan »

Hello and thanks for the tips... any advice from the forum is greatly appreciated. I have added the cast texture to the front hull deck and hatches and it looks like it came out pretty well. Fixed the commander's hatch using some acetone nail polish remover and with a few applications with a small brush I was able to break it free. Word "break" being the operative word here. The rear most hinge did snap and needed repair with styrene. Thanks for the advice trying to de-bond the hatch. The repair worked out fine and hatch is working!

Added more detail to the .50 cal and the mount with small chain and styrene.

For the commander's periscope cover I scratch made out of wooden dowel and styrene sheet to replace the periscope guard that I placed there.
I would like to switch out the other three guards with Schumo Sherman Periscope Guards as they look more realistic but have not been able to source any in the US. I could use 3d printed or styrene rod but they would be very fragile. Scratch making some out of brass rod and solder is another option and most likely what I'll have to do.
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Very nice detail work! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I've done several Shermans, your detail work is above and beyond! Nice work.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Hemifan
Recruit

Post by Hemifan »

Thank you... while waiting on parts to arrive I decide to paint up the crew. Used Tamiya and The Army Painter Warpaint acrylics and then sealed with Tamiya flat clear. To make them sit proper in the hatches I added small bass wood block to the bottom of the figures and used magnets to keep them in place and also have the ability to remove for use in other future tank builds. Going to add the mic wire next.
Attachments
pic7.jpg
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Great figures! Who made them?
Hemifan
Recruit

Post by Hemifan »

Figures are SOL Resin Factory Kit #MM202... Forgebear carries them.

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c25/Tank_Crew.html

Return to “Heng Long Builds”