Zik-20

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Zik-20

Post by SoCalBobS »

This is a conversion kit from Vandramodel.Hu based on the Heng Long KV-1. The Zik-20 was a "fixed turret" tank as the Soviets termed them, to be armed with a 152mm cannon. The design was developed but never got past a wooden mockup stage. This made it easy for me since I could ad-lib as desired. The kit is very simple; remove the turret and fit the new casemate on the body, and install the mantlet and barrel. I used a Heng Long motor to elevate the gun and did not install any traverse.
Zik-20 000s.JPG
I use the Zik in IR battles, which is why there is a LegoDEI IR receiver mounted on top taking the place of one hatch. Discerning eyes will notice that the flush mount and height will improve incoming hit resistance! My IR emitter is in the barrel, which required the most work. I had to buy a long 5mm drill bit to open up the bore.

The camo scheme is the "official" Soviet scheme, which was used infrequently in real life. The decals are Peddinghaus originally designed for the KV-2. At least I kept it in the family! The riders are 3D-printed from files on CGTrader, painted by me.
Zik-20 022s.JPG
Zik-20 024s.JPG
Zik-20 025s.JPG
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Zik-20

Post by Kaczor »

Looks awesome (even if it's paper panzer) :) Could you please put link to those Soviets on CGTrader?
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

looks great, also interested in the russians :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Damn thats nice :thumbup:
I have a dunga KV1 just for one of these but I'm in a situation "where do I stop" 8O
The prototype was an early stage in what became the SU-152.
Those soldier riders are very cool too.
Were the small arms weapons also in the print files ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Ok I found them ;) Soldiers on rest but they will do as tank riders ;) And yes. Guns are part of model.
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model ... 22d8c199ae
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Kaczor wrote:Ok I found them ;) Soldiers on rest but they will do as tank riders ;) And yes. Guns are part of model.
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model ... 22d8c199ae
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Nicely presented (posed and photographed). :thumbup: That scale camo finish is just about as good as it gets, with some fine details: the harder you look, the better it gets. :clap:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Nicely presented (posed and photographed). :thumbup: That scale camo finish is just about as good as it gets, with some fine details: the harder you look, the better it gets. :clap:
Thanks for the compliment! It's funny, when you paint/detail/weather inside on your workbench, it can looks overdone. On the same job in sunlight, the details are still there, but it takes some looking.

You guys seem interested in the figures. I know I was excited when I found them, I knew just where I wanted to use them. My friend printed them in resin, so the surfaces were smooth. Wonderful sculpts, makes painting easier.

Each soldier is a single cast, with detailed and accurate weapons as part of them.
Tank Riders 00.jpg
Tank Riders 04s.jpg
There are similar figures for German and I think American soldiers.
german-soldiers-rest-3d-model-max-obj-stl.jpg
german-soldiers-rest-3d-model-max-obj-stl.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"[W]hen you paint/detail/weather inside on your workbench, it can look overdone. On the same job in sunlight, the details are still there, but it takes some looking." Yes! I have posted photos here on RCTW and found that the tank looks barely weathered, but on the modeling table, it's a mess. Oh! Now I see... It is a mess, my usual modeling skill. As my motto goes "Make Modeling Mediocre Again."

Thanks for also posting the links to to the resting Russians and Germans.
tankme

Post by tankme »

You said no traverse, but does it allow for a traverse or is it only set up from Vandra with elevation?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”