M4a3 Sherman Jumbo

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tomhugill
Captain

M4a3 Sherman Jumbo

Post by tomhugill »

A little something I've been working on. Had the chassis a while. Steel gears standard ratio, metal bogies, tracks sprockets and idlers. Same combo as I run on my firefly VC. In the turret it's a Clark elevation and recoil, both servo and LED flash. Fitted a tbu base and ir emitter so it's a battler and there's a coax mg led in there.

Seems to handle the grass just fine, plenty of power despite the standard ratio gears. I'm a fan of them for the lighter tanks at they're super smooth, especially after an application of PTFE grease.

Control with the tk40 is really nice, smooth low speed control and no motor whine, nice pairing with the gear boxes as not too much mechanical noise over the engine sound.

Now I'm happy with how it works I can get it detailed out. Got some tamiya tools, 50cal etc Schumo scope guards and an mk antenna.

Nice little project with hopefully a quick turn around.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Re: M4a3 Sherman Jumbo

Post by tomhugill »

Starting to detail up the jumbo. Lots of Tamiya bits scrounged from the bits box hull mounted 30cal, lifting hooks, hatch, 50cal, parts for spot light, 50 cal mounts, stowage shelf, etc etc, Schumo scope guards, scratch built various grab handles. Lifting hooks on the turret and mantlet off a mato turret, nick Aguilar travel lock with scratch built mounts, missing loaders scope.

The loaders hatch had an odd raised thing going on, the real one seemed to be flat. So I ground down the this lip to make it flat. Then reshaped the hole to take the tamiya hatch.

Next up adding tools and mounts, got an mk antenna comming from Dave. Welds and cast texture need sorting too. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Very nice. I've always liked the "muscular" look of Jumbo.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I didnt know the "big-body" Sherman came with the little gun at all.
I thought they all had a proper long HV76 a-la Fury.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I didnt know the "big-body" Sherman came with the little gun at all.
I thought they all had a proper long HV76 a-la Fury.
All 254 Jumbos was produced with 75mm gun (as it was prefered for close support). About 100 later was retrofitted with 76mm. More info on wonderful Sherman Minutia site:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... 4a3e2.html
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Sweet! I finished mine a couple months ago nearly identical, except I didn't know a turret was available so I scratch built mine (bondo is my friend).

Attempted a picture, but will have to relearn the process after the pay to host your pics a while back.

Last edited by Ecam on Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

If anybody is interested, kit is available on Ludwig's Hobby:
https://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Sher ... Jumbo.html
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

That mantlet is so massive, it has the effect of making the gun look like a peashooter. :D Didn't the extra 5" of plating affect the guns' balance, I wonder?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,Bastogne museum, Sherman Jumbo restoration, sorry but in French
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qskm-syp8
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Some more progress on the jumbo. Fitted a dklm antenna, the rest of the tamiya tools and have added the missing weld lines

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Heng Long Builds”