Mariya Oktyabrskaya & the Fighting Girlfriend

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Mariya Oktyabrskaya & the Fighting Girlfriend

Post by tankme »

Reportedly kids as young as six fought in WW2 for the Soviet Union. https://ww2gravestone.com/child-soldier ... -children/

I remember reading somewhere that kids as young as 13 were driving tanks so maybe they did paint the slogans... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Those slogans look spot on mate, hand painted, by less than artistic humble people that found themselves in a terrible situation.
I’d say you nailed the look
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Well the project is coming along, I can move the position of the camera so there is the commanders view at the back of the turret or I can spin the turret to the 5 o'clock position and then the camera will sit over the drivers seat, because of the closer distances focusing is a constant issue. but on the whole I am happy with it you can definitely feel the tanks movements. more of the interior is visible than I thought so I'll have to keep working on it.

Next I am working on the external details. as anybody got any clever ideas for scratch building those long think boxes that sit on the mud guards?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I reckon there will be a body that has some of those tool boxes!
I do but I’m a long way from the Thistle & Haggis :haha:
Should you be caught out with no other option I will send you mine for free just to know I’ve contributed to this innovative build. Cmon folks, hook them man up with some T34 tool boxes ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Thanks Herman for the really nice post! When taking the kids out I pinched some stirring sticks. Also had a bit of spare wood and some really nice tiny brass hinges that came with the KV-1. I found a picture of a crashed t34 where the box had flung open and I could see that it was the rods for cleaning the barrel that where stored there. So I've modelled it as best as I can and also stuck a wee cheeky flask of Vodka in the box!

On the other side I've put the spare tracks as close to the original photo as I can.

I've not found a photo of the front of the tank. And I am also not sure how to tackle the large boxey "thingys" that are are the back.... What did they do? ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

The square boxy things on the back are extra fuel tanks. The T34/76 used the square ones, but they are optional. Later production T34 tanks including the 76 and 85 versions used the round spare tanks mounted to the track guards.

These are the box fuel tanks used on the T34/76.

The red arrows indicate the round fuel tanks used on the late war T34/76 and the T34/85 tanks. I only have two mounted as I stole one from this tank and mounted on my SU-122. I left an empty tank holder indicated by the orange arrow. The blue arrows are smoke discharger canisters - not fuel tanks.

None of the fuel tanks (square or round) were directly plumbed into the fuel system. They contained supplemental fuel that had to be pumped into the main fuel tanks to extend the range of the tank.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Amazing thank you for the info and photos. I'll see if I can build something that looks acceptable.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Great inspiration Stu! I have a Heng Long T34/85 and a Trumpeter T34/76 kit and want to do the same with the front drivers compartment with female crew figures.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

I've not found female crew figures that looks the part. Maria sounded like a driven and fierce woman. I would love to have a figure to represent her but I refuse to buy anything that has "pin-up" quality has I think it would not do her memory any good. Let me know if you find any suitable figures.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

The build's come along fantastically Stu, really great work with the markings and and detailing. You'll have to grab some video from the inside view, if you can!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”