M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anyway...

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anywa

Post by Rob1970 »

Another test print...

Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Tinkering with Tinkercad, tinkering with my 3D printer, tinkering with the pieces itself... and you end up with something that looks like a road to success...

Still some test prints to run (this was... number 5 in a row?) but in the end I should get a piece that will slot right in. And when done I will share everything somewhere for other to have fun with. I see no sense in suffering alone... @)

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

What a mission !!
Glad you are getting it though, must be frustrating when prints dont work out like you want first go.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:What a mission !!
Glad you are getting it though, must be frustrating when prints dont work out like you want first go.
Actually, it's not frustrating at all. My printer is my own, the average test print (in low res settings) takes about an hour, and it's easier to fine-tune the design with an actual print in hand than eyeballing it.

In fact, just sitting down with my latest print on the actual tank and turning it over and looking at it from all sides gave me another brainstorm. I have since then re-designed the 3-piece gearbox cover (and more specific the piece at the top that screws to the hull) so I can screw it down way back under the hull top, thus removing the awkward screw you need to cover with the fender bits.

Tomorrow another day of test prints and fettling on the way to a snap-fit result. ;D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and if at first, you don't succeed... as the saying goes. :D
Well, it looks like you're pretty close to getting the part you need. Now you can print yourself a large scotch, and a pat on the back! :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:...and if at first, you don't succeed...
...maybe skydiving is not for you? ;D

And don't worry about the Scotch... I do my best brainstorming under the guidance of Mister Laphroaig and Sir Glenlivet...
And this is what they helped me with last night...

Fresh off the printer after a mere 40 minute print. Enough to see where I need to fiddle with it...

Add a hole here, remove a hole there. A little bit taken off there...

...and as you can see, Generation 3 fits like a glove. And that's not even the last one, because I have decided to make the left fender part of that piece as well.

Something like this... I will model the bent part seperately.

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Very nice clean prints. And you design it in Tinkercad :crazy:
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Kaczor wrote:Very nice clean prints. And you design it in Tinkercad :crazy:
"If you give a fool a simple brush and a lot of paint, you get a mess. If you give the same to Michelangelo, you get the Sistine Chapel..." -My mom...

;D Disclaimer; I consider myself at least to be no fool...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rob1970 wrote:
Kaczor wrote:Very nice clean prints. And you design it in Tinkercad :crazy:
"If you give a fool a simple brush and a lot of paint, you get a mess. If you give the same to Michelangelo, you get the Sistine Chapel..." -My mom...

;D Disclaimer; I consider myself at least to be no fool...
...and if you give tins of paint to Jackson Pollock, you get- 'Jack The Dripper'. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Terrific progress on the build, Rob. The M3's a collection of weird shapes and angles, you've done well to put it all together like that.

Nice CAD work, by the way. It's nice to follow along with the iterative design! Are you planning to make the 75mm in the sponson traverse and elevate?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”