M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anyway...

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anywa

Post by Rob1970 »

tankme wrote:
lmcq11 wrote:Good, and if you put on skirts, everything will be perfect.
But *he* will know....lol
Won't sleep any less about it... ;D

That being said, I ofcourse pondered the option to "fix" this. I mean, in the end we are talking about between 3 and 4 millimeters that the top needs to be lower. And that's me eyeball-Mark One-ing it... Let's call it 4mm for argument's sake.

You could feasibly make a smaller return roller, so the track rolls lower. But that means the guide horns on the track foul with the axle of the return roller. So no...

You could move the whole bogey assembly down the 4mm it needs for the top to run straight. Ofcourse that would make the Lee/Grant stand that much taller. Would anyone notice that? Dunno... but it would mean losing all the stuff on the hull you normally screw the bogey in to, and making new holes.

Now if you don't care about riding 4mm higher, and don't care about doing maintenance on your bogeys ever again, you could just modify the bogeys with the printed parts but not just glue the front bit to the printed part, but the rear bit also, cut flush the pole you normally screw the HL bogey into and superglue the whole bogey assembly to the hull as low as you want to...

I'm happy with the compromise between the parts I made and the possibility offered by the HL parts... but I am an easy-going fellow...

;D

...whose already designing a part to do the above with more ease... for those that want to...
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

So aaaaanyway...

Image\

Well, pretty soon you can...

...because the first test print of the Type IIII is on the way. Inclusing template so you know where to drill and what to cut. And I'll make a little piece that captures an M3 nut to go inside the hull as well.

Because I'm cool like that...

Oh, and for those of you wondering if I am going to switch to the Type IIII...

Well...

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
RiskyR
Lance Corporal

Post by RiskyR »

I guess 4mm wouldn't be noticed by anyone. I'd say it is very accurate as there are models out there with way bigger inaccuracies :/
In progress:
M4A1(75)
M4A1(76)W HVSS
M4A2 Fisher
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

RiskyR wrote:I guess 4mm wouldn't be noticed by anyone. I'd say it is very accurate as there are models out there with way bigger inaccuracies :/
Well, there's always someone around who turns out to be a rivet-counting SoB, and what you do then is wait for them to get on their knees with their face right up to your tank to point out what you did wrong... and shoot them in the face with the BB gun... @)
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I was just giving you crap about it. I would leave it as is also. Hardly anyone will notice.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

On a side note; anybody interested in my pile of test prints? Otherwise I'm gonna bin them...

Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

A little more done. It's slow going between holiday booze and holiday food and back to booze again. Oh, how we suffer...

I liked how the bogeys turned out. And yes, I stayed with Version III. Version IV is going on Thingiverse soon, and maybe even a Version V. That would be a complete bogey that only recycles the Heng Long spring, arms and wheels...

Also made some progress on getting the rear closed up. Not that hard, it's all flat sheets and odd angles which are reasonably easy to manage if you plan it right.

Did make a start on modeling some hatches to print...

...and some air filters.

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Yeah...

Early peperpot-style exhausts... that's a thing now. Functional too...

;D

The cheese-and-booze-filled Limbo between Christmas and New Years Eve is at least good for -something- it seems...
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Mwuhahahahaha!!!

phpBB [video]
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

I've uploaded the first version of peperpot-style exhausts to Thingiverse. Might do a few versions, since there are a few variants around.
Next; hatches!!! Here's a sneak preview of the driver's hatch. It's still a 3-piece affair in these pictures, but a new version is printing now...

Pre-supported...

...and I will know if it works out in about an hour...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”