M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anyway...

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anywa

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

lmcq11 wrote:That hatch is exceptional Rob, great work.
That's rare praise indeed, Rob, from the maestro himself. :D :clap: Perhaps that might help alleviate to lighten the Mid-Winter downers ( I know all about them... :problem: :shh: ). Hope your health, and wilful eccentricity return soon :thumbup: I've been going back to making music lately, that helps...me, anyway. Can't say the same for the neighbour's ears. :haha:
Come to think of it... o- ...my immediate neighbours (my house is in a field) are all white and woolly, and go; 'Baaa'! (In fact, Scottish sheep go 'Maaaaa!" But, "eaaghhhgh..when I play))

A smart hatch, now- all it needs is a tank. :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Those details are very nice indeed. I hope full kit will be possible to buy somewhere ;)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Being a Kiwi, I consider myself something of a sheep connoisseur ! :shifty: :shh:
If yours go "Maaaa".....they must have cleft palates & a hair-lip !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Being a Kiwi, I consider myself something of a sheep connoisseur ! :shifty: :shh:
Kiwi? Shouldn't that be Aussie? Or "Reject-Pom"? Or "Ex-Con"? ;D ;D Just kidding, I'm actually a conceived Australian... (Conceived in Australia, born... well... actually nowhere. Or International waters...)

One thing Australian and Scottish sheep (and for that matter; Welsh) sheep have in common. Very skittish creature, especially if they hear a zipper... ;D
Last edited by Rob1970 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

lmcq11 wrote:That hatch is exceptional Rob, great work.
Why thank you, I do try. Or am very trying, as SWMBO says...
43rdRecceReg wrote:A smart hatch, now- all it needs is a tank. :D :thumbup:
Working on it... I'm actually trying with some help to translate the paper model into files that can be laser- or CNC-cut...
Kaczor wrote:Those details are very nice indeed. I hope full kit will be possible to buy somewhere ;)
Well, whatever parts are done are on Thingiverse. If you want to buy them feel free to tip... there's a "Tip Designer" link on Thingiverse... ;D Ya know, it might even speed up the design process...

Speaking of parts... redid the driver's hatch. Didn't look quite right to me...

A lot less bulky around the edges... Finally figured out to do a nice corner fillet in Tinkercad.

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Rob1970 wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Being a Kiwi, I consider myself something of a sheep connoisseur ! :shifty: :shh:
Kiwi? Shouldn't that be Aussie? Or "Reject-Pom"? Or "Ex-Con"? ;D ;D Just kidding, I'm actually a conceived Australian... (Conceived in Australia, born... well... actually nowhere. Or International waters...)

One thing Australian and Scottish sheep (and for that matter; Welsh) sheep have in common. Very skittish creature, especially if they hear a zipper... ;D

Nope, 100% K1W1 me mate............Livin the NZ dream in Aussie ;)
As for sheep, lets just say they need a lot of assistance getting through a fence at times & need the occasional push from behind :shifty:

Nice 3D CAD work by the way, the prints a re crisp -as
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Nope, 100% K1W1 me mate............Livin the NZ dream in Aussie ;)
As for sheep, lets just say they need a lot of assistance getting through a fence at times & need the occasional push from behind :shifty:

Nice 3D CAD work by the way, the prints a re crisp -as
Ah, good on ya. There's some Kiwi in the mix here too. Mum was born in NZ from Dutch settlers, moved to AUS and met my dad who was in AUS working/living/being use as cheap labour by his family that moved to Aus from the Netherlands. They married but moved back. I was born on the way back somewhere on the Atlantic...

And thanks, all the CAD work done with Tinkercad... and resin prints are awesome. I keep tinkering with my designs after each test print to cram more details in. Still have to get used to that after doing most of my printing with FDM.
RiskyR
Lance Corporal

Post by RiskyR »

Looks superb Rob!
Maybe nice to build an M3 once my Sherman is finished!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G970F met Tapatalk
In progress:
M4A1(75)
M4A1(76)W HVSS
M4A2 Fisher
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

I've been a bit under the weather the past few weeks (A nice combo of bronchitis that turned into a flu/viral respiratory thing, but no 'rona...) so I didn't get much modelling done. Also need to sort my workspace because my workflow was getting horrendous and was getting very frustrating. Too much stuff and too little space...

While me and the workspace are slowly getting better I decided to focus on some reverse-engineering on the Grant. I did most of the scratchbuilding of the upper hull "on the fly" adjusting as I went along and I decided it was time to get some measurements down on paper.

So with callipers and some other tools I have made a start of documenting the parts...

...and this is what I have sofar.

When I'm done I will make these available along with the printable parts. Probable as a pdf so people can cut them from ABS sheet, or maybe even as files for laser- or CNC-cutting. Might even export them as files to print too.

TTFN,
Rob
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

You have several great ideas there for making the plans accessible to those without 3D printers. That’s thoughtful: bravo!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”