HENG LONG suspension correction

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

HENG LONG suspension correction

Post by tiger205 »

hi guys
          a month or so ago i modified the suspension arm mounting points on my Tiger, so they were pointing in the right direction, as per the real thing, and i thought i would show you all how i did it.
i had been thinking of this modification for quite some while, since a friend of mine, nigel pointed out to me that the HL tigers suspension arms were wrong, untill recently i had not done this mod' because i could not find a glue strong enough that i could trust to do this job with, (my Tiger weighs 11lbs). until i had i chat with nigel, and between us we came up with a mega strong glue.
the first thing i done was to get a spare lower hull, then i cut out the right side suspension mounting, then on my hull i cut out the exact same, but out of the left side, at this point by mistake i partly cut up the suspension piece that i was to glue in . thankfully i managed to rescue the situation . anyway i then glued in the rescued  suspension mounting point giving the "glue" about 24hrs to dry fully, when i was happy with that i pieced
my Tiger back together slowly, first to go back in was the aluminium strenghening plates, after i trimmed a little piece out to clear the gearbox and drilled new holes for the springs. what i had not taken into account was that the suspension on one side is different to the other side, what i had to do was use everything from the same side that i cut the mounting point from, luckily i had a spare set of metal suspension arms, once the strenghening plate had been sorted, everything went back together fairly easy. one other thing i did while i was in there was to make a gearbox brace, the 'boxes do flex abit, so making the brace was a good idea, the following photos will show you how it is done.
why did i do it?, i have been asked this many times, the wife thinks i have lost my marbles, "because you dont see it", may be i have lost my marbles , but as i pointed out to the wife and other people, i wanted my Tiger exactly right in detail even if you dont see it often, plus i believe it is the first time this has been done on a HL Tiger. was it worth doing?, in my opinion YES, it works aswell as a standard HL Tiger, not better, but it does give you an added bit of authenticity. plus, for me it was an enormous amount of fun doing it, and proving you can be a tightwad and do something like this on the cheap.
if you have any questions about this modification or opinions, let me know
                                                                                                           Tony 8)
ps, this show how well the home made glue i make works, it has to support an 11lb Tank
chassis conversion (1).JPG
Last edited by tiger205 on Sat May 30, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
mickyb
Corporal

Re: HENG LONG suspension correction

Post by mickyb »

Hi Tony,
Your conversion looks really good. I particularly like the gearbox strut and will certainly copy your idea.
I am new to this hoby and so read all the posts on conversions in order to find out where the problems occur..... while not everyone will attempt what you have done, no one can fault your ideal, it is good to go the next step...well done.
I do this sort of thing when I build a boat..... you should hear what the missus calls me when she sees me moulding some lobsters or crabs for the fishing boat I am making.
"you really should get out more" ...  " sad git".....and such like.

Have a great weekend.

Mike 
I should have collected beer mats
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

hi mike
          many thanks for the comments, i know what you mean, my mrs is not unlike your's, atleast we're not out cheating or worse!,
i have been making models, airfix etc, all my life, and tanks are my first love, though my Tiger was my first 1/16 tank, i got her 2yrs ago as a non S&S model, and right from the off i wanted a highly detailed Tiger(my favourite of all tanks) i will post a build report in the next few days, i got to sort out some more recent pic's, plus my typing is done wiv' one finger, so i'm not the quickest. if i can help out in anyway with your build, dont hesitate to ask
                            regards
                                        Tony 8)

[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

hi , i like the suspension mod  very tidy, would like to try it but i dont fancy ripping mine apart again to soon
regards cliff
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

hi cliff
        thanks for the comments,  i can understand what your saying, it does get to be a pain in the arse, to pull your tank apart just after a rebuild,
when you next take her apart it may be worth it then, to me, it bugged the hell out of me for monthes knowing that was wrong, i know you dont see it but i had to do it,  if you do consider it in the future, i would be happy to help with advice, or even a spare lower hull which i have sitting here with strenghening plates still attached

Tony 8)

fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

That is sheer bravery tony you deserve a medal for that  ;) ;)
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

hi fv432
            thanks for that, i dont know about deserving a medal, the wife say's i deserve to be "sectioned" :o, anyway, its a mod', that does sound daunting, but if you have a good glue, (i made my own)and know how to measure and cut accuratly,which i know you can(ive seen your tanks.mmm)then it is fairly easy to do, give it a go!!!
                                                          Tony 8)

fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

Well i have been toying with the idea of a one piece ally hull with corrected suspension 

I think that insanity runs in all of us tankers LOL
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

hi fv432 an alloy tub would be most interesting, asiatam are bringing something along those lines, http://mmodell.de/forum/index.php?page= ... readID=865 .this link should take you to some pictures of it. your right insanity does run in us tankers(spelt with a t ;D)

Tony 8)

fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

Thats an interesting link thanks
although surprised they have gone for a bolt on chassis plate as opposed to a one piece especially when you look at the PZRIII offering which is a complete tub ??? ???

had thought along the lines of tamiyas tub with the wecohe style adjustable torsion bars the main trouble with this is the H/LONG boxes being plonked right across the front bars and sitting in the way
managed a way round this by sitting the asiatam boxes on a plate and angling them out of the way

Return to “Heng Long Builds”