King Tiger (henschell)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
NAB
Corporal

King Tiger (henschell)

Post by NAB »

Hi

Just starting my KT build thread. Will be nice to keep track of the progress of the tank for however long it takes me!

First pics will be basic out the box. All I did was stick a decal on but I have another set coming in case I need to remove them.

I have removed the accessories to start work on them firstImageImageImageImage

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
NAB
Corporal

Re: King Tiger (henschell)

Post by NAB »

All the accessories laid out

I have done some work on the cables and some tools. How are they looking?

Also got a 1/16 metal bucket and some metal shackles.

One of the mudflaps has been lost by little hands getting hold of it and putting it God knows where so I bought another set. However they aren't the same camo so will need to sort that out.

Also what are the two 'stick' tools? (currently sand colour) if I know what they are/used for I can do them the appropriate colour.

The straps that hold the tools on will be colour coded according to where they sit on the tank camo. Same for the hooks holding the spare tracks on the turret.
ImageImageImageImage

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Also I'm having trouble with the hubs staying on when the tank is moving. How can I secure them without being permanent because I may need access to the screws if any of the wheels get damaged or general removal upgrades etc.Image

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The long "Tube" is the Spare Aerial Holder and if you are using non metal wheel caps then a liberal application on the bottom half of each one with "Loctite 243" Threadlock will hold them in place until they need removing, Metal caps could usefully employ Small Neo-Dymion Magnets.
There is only one suitable place for the Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Decals and that is the nearest bin they are very poor quality,too thick and just plain inaccurate.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

jarndice wrote:The long "Tube" is the Spare Aerial Holder and if you are using non metal wheel caps then a liberal application on the bottom half of each one with "Loctite 243" Threadlock will hold them in place until they need removing, Metal caps could usefully employ Small Neo-Dymion Magnets.
There is only one suitable place for the Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Decals and that is the nearest bin they are very poor quality,too thick and just plain inaccurate.
Ok and I suppose that would have been camouflaged the same as the tank?
What's the stick with the pointy end for?

I don't like the application of the decals I must admit. Much prefer the soak in water and slide off type. But I'm thinking of hand painting some numbers on as they would have been in real life.
Also I'm thinking of going over some of the camo with a paintbrush to give it a more authentic finish.

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Took a quick photo of the inside. Does everything look normal?

I noticed the smoke machine has a disconnected wire. Is this a solder fix? I'm not too confident with a soldering iron since melting a bit of scalextric track into oblivion lol

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

This is the address of this Forums genius Stencil maker,
http://www.radindustries-wordpress.com
Tell him what you want and if you don't have a particular Tank in mind then Rad will produce an original set for you, of course this will include Balkan Cross stencils :thumbup:
His workmanship is high his prices are LOW,
Remember almost every Army used stencils in WW2 and if you decide to apply Zimmerit then Decals are the biggest pain you can think of.
Metal tools are readily available as direct replacements for the plastic toys that come with your Tank.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

jarndice wrote:This is the address of this Forums genius Stencil maker,
http://www.radindustries-wordpress.com
Tell him what you want and if you don't have a particular Tank in mind then Rad will produce an original set for you, of course this will include Balkan Cross stencils Image
His workmanship is high his prices are LOW,
Remember almost every Army used stencils in WW2 and if you decide to apply Zimmerit then Decals are the biggest pain you can think of.
Metal tools are readily available as direct replacements for the plastic toys that come with your Tank.
I have seen sets of metal equipment but are they really necessary as they will be painted anyway?

And yes Zimmerit was my next question as to where is the best place to get some. If I remember correctly that's the stuff that gives it the textured finish?

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you you fit a metal shovel or a sledge hammer or an axe you do not paint the tool you just rub it over with wet & dry to highlight the tool is metal just like the real thing and only Paint the handle,
Something to know about Zimmerit, All German heavy Armour from spring 1943 began applying Zimmerit Paste to repel magnetic mines,
Well that is until someone in an office in the German defence department pointed out that the only Army in the European campaign using magnetic mines against vehicles was the German Army :{ :{ Shortly after (Late 1944)the German army ceased applying Zimmerit paste.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Im happy with the Tri colour camo on the King tiger out the box but not 100% happy with the shades of brown and green and also how perfect it looks.

Doing research I have found out that tank crews would receive the tank in a solid colour then apply the camo themselves.
I painted this spare rear mud flap with a brush and NATO brown and field grey (dark green test patch but prefer field grey) leaving the base yellow coat as if it was supplied sprayed that colour from factory.

What do people think of the finish? I feel it gives a more authentic finish. Obviously after weathering and chipping etc it should look better.Image

Return to “Heng Long Builds”