Ardennes King Tiger - Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Re: Ardennes King Tiger - Jnewboy Customs

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Jnewboy wrote:Thanks!

So as I said before, I had intended to go back over some of the green dots with brown...

ImageUntitled by Jnewboy Customs, on Flickr

Honestly, I dont know if I like it, I only did the front to get a look at it, I dont know if I want to do the whole thing, I may change it back to green. What do you guys think?
I personally think that the brown looks better, however it still would look brilliant with the green. Bottom line is that they did the camo in the field anyway so anything (within reason!) goes. With filters applied I suspect the brown would be a better fit as well as the green may fade a bit more into the dunkelgelb.

No right answer here, personal preference I guess!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Sorry if you've already said, but are you planning to weather the model? If so, that would subdue the rather bright finish. If not, the dots will remain prominent so the colour choice remains more if an issue. Although l'm not a fan of heavy weathering, l think a thin wash of rain/dust would do the job.
For sure, no model leaves my bench unweathered, I will use Magic Grime on it once the paint and decals are done. I decided to go ahead with the brown dots, after a few more were on it seemed to look better and better. The decals are next!

Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

So here are my options...

After going through my decals I have found these, all very different, all for the same tanks and all the same scale... So lets break this down to decide the best choice.

The bottom right are from Tamiya, they are ok but WAY to dark blue so they are out.

In the middle are the Peddinghaus decals, at first glance they look OK but then you notice that the blue is actually very light purple and worst of all the number "4" is wrong and they are too big!!. The Germans used what I call a "spiked 4" on these tanks. The "4" is vertical on top and has "points", this can be seen on the other decals, its a simple obvious detail that they didn't care to catch so they are out.

The top decals are custom made, a few years back, I really liked them, the color, the right "4", they seemed perfect but, they are too big! They look great but the Archer decals just look better.

In the bottom left are the Archer decals, they may be rub-on but either way they look the best, color, size... the right "4"... :thumbup:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Newboy: Thanks for the tip on the Archer transfers: I had the Peddinghouse decals and was surprised by the oversized numbers. Thanks, too, for the URL, Jofaur. (You two solved one of my problems. Besides, I have plenty of other ideas for masks from Rad.)
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Jnewboy wrote:So here are my options...

After going through my decals I have found these, all very different, all for the same tanks and all the same scale... So lets break this down to decide the best choice.

The bottom right are from Tamiya, they are ok but WAY to dark blue so they are out.

In the middle are the Peddinghaus decals, at first glance they look OK but then you notice that the blue is actually very light purple and worst of all the number "4" is wrong and they are too big!!. The Germans used what I call a "spiked 4" on these tanks. The "4" is vertical on top and has "points", this can be seen on the other decals, its a simple obvious detail that they didn't care to catch so they are out.

The top decals are custom made, a few years back, I really liked them, the color, the right "4", they seemed perfect but, they are too big! They look great but the Archer decals just look better.

In the bottom left are the Archer decals, they may be rub-on but either way they look the best, color, size... the right "4"... Image
Why dont you speak to Rad about getting some stencils. Then you can have exactly what you want and the exact colour

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Well I got busy with life and was out of my studio for a week and when I returned I realized that I was forgetting something very important! CHIPPING!

First we do sponge chipping of the base coat to give the appearance of the camo being worn/chipped off...

Next we do Red Primer chips on the edges and scrapes, some are on their own and some are on top of the base coat chipping giving the appearance of deeper chips. I use a ruler to make straight scratches/scrapes on the fenders.

Last we take Chipping color and paint it into the Red Primer chips allowing a some of the Red Primer to still show... This takes the longest but the result is worth it! Also added some para-scopes for the front 8)

To be clear, I know it seems over done, the contrast is way to extreem and this is intentional as the Magic Grime will filter it all together, decals next, then Magic Grime! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Love the chipping Jon, the sideways streaks along the skirts are a brilliant touch. These things would get scratched to hell pushing through foliage and rubble. Looking forward to seeing the Magic Grime work its magic!
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Raminator wrote:Love the chipping Jon, the sideways streaks along the skirts are a brilliant touch. These things would get scratched to hell pushing through foliage and rubble. Looking forward to seeing the Magic Grime work its magic!
Thanks Ram!! Yes the Germans had a hard time squeezing the King Tiger through the narrow streets and forest roads!! More than one got stuck and abandoned from running into a building, just think how the Maus would have done in combat! :haha:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

And just like that, the "blue" camo becomes green once the blue decal is installed, also put the SS PzAbt 501 insignia on and the "mysterious G" that everyone has a theory about but no one seems to be able to prove what exactly it signified.

Hairspray and Magic Grime next! :thumbup:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”