KV-1 ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Aussie
Corporal

Re: KV-1 ~ Jnewboy Customs

Post by Aussie »

That looks great , top effort.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Thanks Guys for all the kind words!
HERMAN BIX wrote:Oh I really have to get some of that Grime product Mr Newboy...........instant 'plain' to 'acclaim' in one step ;)
Raminator wrote:I'm always amazed by the depth of weathering you achieve with the Magic Grime, Jon. Another 10/10 result, the pigments are icing on the cake!
Absolutely!!! Magic Grime is available on eBay and it's a total game changer!!!

I made this video to show off this KV-1 but also to show exactly how I use this stuff to get this amazing look.

I always get lots of questions about how it can be a wash, filter and streaking grime all in one!?!

Hope you enjoy and I welcome your feedback!!

phpBB [video]
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Wery nice readup on this KV build :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

That's awesome! Very inspirational for the work I want to do on the KV-1 I got cheap the other day. Does the turret armour and the rest just pop off, or is major surgery involved?

Speaking of major surgery... I was playing some War Thunder today, and decided to test-drive with a KV-1B for a bit, for inspiration. It's the same up-armoured version of the cheapo Heng Long beastie I got. And I noticed a problem...

"Komrade Engineer, why is exhaust smoke from our glorious engine coming out of the rear light of our proud product of the Motherland?"

First I thought it was an inaccuracy in the game (not uncommon) but after some more research...
Yeah, someone is going to the gulag...

And I have something to fix when I upgrade this tank. Yay! More tinkering!!

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Rob1970 wrote:That's awesome! Very inspirational for the work I want to do on the KV-1 I got cheap the other day. Does the turret armour and the rest just pop off, or is major surgery involved?

Speaking of major surgery... I was playing some War Thunder today, and decided to test-drive with a KV-1B for a bit, for inspiration. It's the same up-armoured version of the cheapo Heng Long beastie I got. And I noticed a problem...

"Komrade Engineer, why is exhaust smoke from our glorious engine coming out of the rear light of our proud product of the Motherland?"

First I thought it was an inaccuracy in the game (not uncommon) but after some more research...
Yeah, someone is going to the gulag...

And I have something to fix when I upgrade this tank. Yay! More tinkering!!

TTFN,
Rob
Thanks Rob! It does pop off, however you will notice a few indents and holes which will need to be filled, if you don't already have one, get a Walnut Hollow hot knife, it has multiple tips for different detail work and temp control, great for etching in welding lines and other detail. :thumbup:
RZMAUS45
Recruit

Post by RZMAUS45 »

That Magic Grime is nice. Where can I get it? Thanks for sharing the video on how to use it!!!
RZMAUS45
Recruit

Post by RZMAUS45 »

Ooops, I didn't read your comment at the head of the video, I will check it out on eBay. Thanks again for sharing Jon!!!
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

Jnewboy wrote:I have a feeling that some of you may be wondering what the hell is up with the large bolts I used. :haha:

I was remembering the initial KV turrets:

But now remember that the sight was bored through the mantel and its missing that little box under the barrel so I will have to fix this. See we all make mistakes :P

I have to check myself on Russian armor as I have been building German stuff almost exclusively for a few years now... :think:

These were also known as the "cast" turret as they were cast and smaller with a curve in the rear. My question to any of you who may know: were there any pics of this type of gun mantel used on this later type turret?

I found this:

and this

Most of you may know this but these tanks were thrown together at great hast during this transition period, they almost all rolled out of Leningrad and sometimes straight into combat.
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

Return to “Heng Long Builds”