KV-1 ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jnewboy
Sergeant

KV-1 ~ Jnewboy Customs

Post by Jnewboy »

I wanted to do a KV-1 for my collection but Ive never been a fan of the up armored version, it looks so different than the classic KV-1 look it feels like a different tank. I also am not a fan of $1,250 Tamyia mostly due to the price. So I set out to transform the Henglong KV-1 into something simple, something rugged and earlier in the war. I found inspiration.

Imageanton-dobkes-kv1-21 by Jnewboy Customs, on Flickr

Imageanton-dobkes-kv1-1v4 by Jnewboy Customs, on Flickr

I like it as it has some crude up armor attempts but maintains the classic look of the KV.

I apologize for not taking more pics early on, I did not intend on a build thread but thought twice about it later.

ImageUntitled by Jnewboy Customs, on Flickr

By this picture I have removed the turret up armor, put in two small bolts and added weld seams to the turret, given it a spray with 4B0 spray paint and now am putting on the up armor. (please ignore the King Tiger tools below, different build/same desk/Im becoming a slob) :{ :P

The next issue to tackle was the bolts and scope hole on the gun mantlet.

Here you can see that I have made larger holes for larger bolts, I have already put one in, that's it in white resin. I looked through my mini screw and bolt collection but found nothing I liked but then remembered the Jagdpanthers gun mantlet so after some deliberation on the ethics of mixing mortal enemies :haha: I made a small simple casting of the bolts and was happy with the look!

Next was to paint it, I reshot it in 4BO and then did a simple color modulation using two lighter shades of AK-031 (4BO) on all the raised surfaces and the top of the barrel/gun mantlet/storage boxes ect.

Also painted the dark iron for contact areas with the tracks.

Also did color modulation on the wheels.

The color modulation looks over done, to light compared to the under shades but this is actually what you want. My Magic Grime will work as a filter and a wash, it will marry the colors together and will look perfect. I use to do a very subtle modulation when I used conventional washes but with Magic Grime you need to start with more contrast to get a better result as it was designed to blend/filter camouflage.

Thats about as she stands right now. Next is Decals, touch ups (chipping/scuffs) then Magic Grime, then dust effects. Then the tracks and shes done! 8)
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Re: KV-1 ~ Jnewboy Customs

Post by Jnewboy »

I have a feeling that some of you may be wondering what the hell is up with the large bolts I used. :haha:

I was remembering the initial KV turrets:

But now remember that the sight was bored through the mantel and its missing that little box under the barrel so I will have to fix this. See we all make mistakes :P

I have to check myself on Russian armor as I have been building German stuff almost exclusively for a few years now... :think:

These were also known as the "cast" turret as they were cast and smaller with a curve in the rear. My question to any of you who may know: were there any pics of this type of gun mantel used on this later type turret?

I found this:

and this

Most of you may know this but these tanks were thrown together at great hast during this transition period, they almost all rolled out of Leningrad and sometimes straight into combat.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Off to a great start, Jon. I'm a fan of the big, blocky KVs so I'm excited to see you work your trademark magic on it!

I've seen a cast mantlet on a welded turret before, I think you'd be free to make whichever combination of parts you like the look of best. As you say, the exigencies of the war during the siege would have meant that everything would have been thrown at the front line and any manner of parts could be put together to repair and reclaim lost tanks.
KV1S.JPG
I believe the bolted hatch under the gun barrel is to service the hydraulic recoil buffer.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great work as usual Jon, I'm another fan of Russian armour, looking forward to seeing the finished article :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am glad you are doing this "build." Thank you! I know this is not what you are showing, but I am absolutely impressed by the paints lined up on shelves build on the wall. I need to do something like that!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I honestly can’t help my total aversion to anything Soviet due to my Cold War upbringing and American indoctrination however you’re doing a fantastic job on your tank. Your build threads are always enjoyable. :thumbup:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Thanks guys! when I get the cast mantlet redone I'll post the pics! I always loved the stories of the inital shock these tanks had on the Germans and just how much punishment they could take, slowing the Germans to a standstill for days when one would post its self up in the center of a town!
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I am glad you are doing this "build." Thank you! I know this is not what you are showing, but I am absolutely impressed by the paints lined up on shelves build on the wall. I need to do something like that!
I had to! I was spending so much time digging in drawers for the right paint! Then over time the artwork crept in! :P 8)

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Jimster wrote:I honestly can’t help my total aversion to anything Soviet due to my Cold War upbringing and American indoctrination however you’re doing a fantastic job on your tank. Your build threads are always enjoyable. :thumbup:
That funny because both my father and I served in the US Army and I love Soviet and Russian armor... :) I love American armor also, but my father served as a Counter Intelligence Warrant Officer so growing up he always talked about the Russian capabilities. He knew nothing about American armor since he studied Soviet doctrine as part of his job.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:O The artwork makes it even better! I think I recognize one of the images as similar to an illustration in Osprey book on uniforms.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote::O The artwork makes it even better! I think I recognize one of the images as similar to an illustration in Osprey book on uniforms.
The two uniform ones with white in the background are from Tamiya art work they used on their 1/35 kits.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”