M3 Lee from an M4 Sherman

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

M3 Lee from an M4 Sherman

Post by SoCalBobS »

I discovered Vandra conversion kits a while ago, so I tried a couple. One is the M3 Lee tank built upon the HL M4 Sherman chassis. I set myself a goal of using as much of the Sherman as I could, keeping costs down, since it would be my first conversion. This posed some limitations, which I'll share here, but I came out with something I liked. Maybe someday I'll do a more complex build.

There are a number of HL "static" kits on eBay. They are fairly complete mechanically and physically, but with no electronics. I've gotten kits with and without speakers and smokers, apparently whatever they are trying to get off their shelves. They've had old 27mhz MFU's and wiring but no transmitters. I purchased a Sherman - in this case, plastic tracks. Fortunately I had a spare 6.0 MFU and speaker to use.

So, to Vandra. Resin castings, requiring varying amounts of sanding, filing and fitting.
M3 Lee 05.jpg
M3 Lee 05.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
In the case of the Lee, they caution that a "low profile" gearbox system is necessary because of the main gun recess on the hull. Not having such a gearbox or wanting to buy one, I decided to work around this.
Last edited by SoCalBobS on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Re: M3 Lee from an M4 Sherman

Post by SoCalBobS »

There are alterations to the gearbox that I'm guessing would be needed even with a low profile set. The M3 transmission cover, like the early M4's, are tighter. Some of the metal of the gearbox frames has to be removed for it to fit.
M3 Lee 07.jpg
M3 Lee 07.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
But the biggest issue is that the gearbox on the sponson side sits too high for the deck, hence the need for a low profile box. My workaround was to cut a space in the deck for the gear to sit in, and to cover it all with "stores", a box.
M3 Lee 09.jpg
M3 Lee 09.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
Yucky I know, but the final product looks ok.
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

Again to save costs, I did not make the main gun to elevate or traverse, at least not yet! I used the barrel from the Sherman, obviously of a larger than authentic calibre, but I needed the space to insert an IR LED anyway. I do have a thinner barrel enroute that I will add later.
M3 Lee 01s.jpg
Note the box covering the gear. Also, I took the Sherman headlights and added them. Later I will describe the turret setup. Stay tuned!
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

My main objective was to make the turret rotate, again using whatever I could apply from the Sherman kit, in this case the traversing motor. I also did not want to permanently alter the turret, mainly in case my plan didn't work.

Fortunately I have a buddy who is a 3D printing wizard. We came up with a setup that is completely adjustable and removable.
IMG_1341r.jpg
There are two disks. One fits inside the turret and is anchored to the turret ring with three wide washered screws screwed into the disk. The disk has three posts sticking down below the turret bottom. A gear disk is screwed into the posts, and the disk will mesh with the HL motor.......maybe! The problem is that the gear disk must be aligned with the turret ring, and the turret is not exactly truly round. I finally enlarged the screw holes on the gear disk so that I could adjust the alignment.
IMG_1388r.jpg
The traverse motor is simply glued to the hull interior. Its structure keeps the gear disk from rising or dropping which would pop the turret out of its track on the hull. I placed another post with a tab on the opposite side that helps hold the gear disk in place. You can see a white rectangle which is the top of that tab. Both the traverse motor and the tab have shims in place to set them at the right height.
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

A couple more turret details: The Vandra kit does not include a commander's cupola, but I found a 3D printed one on Shapeways.

Without:
M3 Lee 26r.jpg
With:
M3 Lee 27r.jpg
I put the machine gun LED from the Sherman hull into the turret MG. I had to use an oversized CF tube for it. Ah well.
IMG_1303.jpg
By the way, I'm new to this forum, learning the methods to post photos. Don't ask me why these photos are rotated, they just are!
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

So what did I end up with? Here ya go.
M3 Lee 14r.jpg
M3 Lee 21r.jpg
M3 Lee 23r.jpg
If you're interested, here's a short youtube clip: https://youtu.be/fC9i4gDvhmg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: I'd say it was well worth the effort, and improvistion. :D
The crew figures are also very well painted. You should feel very pleased with yourself. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, I totally agree, well done sir :clap: :clap:

I love your improvisation with the storage box over the gears :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A beautiful model of an ugly tank, you've done great work Bob. Resin kits have a few interesting quirks, I like your workarounds.
SoCalBobS wrote:By the way, I'm new to this forum, learning the methods to post photos. Don't ask me why these photos are rotated, they just are!
Your camera/phone will usually embed EXIF metadata into the photo that contains information about things like camera settings, including orientation. Some software can't read that, so the forum doesn't reorient the photo to match the way the camera was being held at the time. If you click the photos to enlarge them, they show up correctly.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I really like these M3 configurations myself - imagine what a smashing view you get from the turret sitting up there like that, great for sight-seeing and stuff! :haha:
Very nicely executed RC example too. :thumbup:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”