M3 Lee from an M4 Sherman

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Re: M3 Lee from an M4 Sherman

Post by SimonCornes »

Thats a thought, you could almost let the sand shields 'hide' the M4 return rollers on a Grant. Not so easy an option for a US Lee though.
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Hi Andy,

There is also a conversion kit for the M3 bogies top rollers on shapeways, I have used the vandra and shapeways set's and IMHO the shapeways seem a little more robust, just thought I'd throw another spanner your way :D :thumbup:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9WWRD ... arketplace

Cheers,Lee.
Excellent intel Lee... always good to have more than one source for a solution and Shapeways do always deliver...

My thanks

Andy
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Lee

I’ve had no response from Vandra so am following up with Warren, Hudson on Shapeways who does the suspension, wheels and cupola...

I’ve pinged him to see if he’s got a 3D printable model of a correctly scaled and circular turret.... fingers crossed.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I'm not sure if woz supplies a turret for the M3 as his was scratch built so I don't think it would fit the resin vandra kit unfortunately, I do know though that he does the small commanders cupola that sits on top of the main turret and although not designed for the vandra kit it can be made to fit quite easily as I have done this myself :thumbup:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/8GUKC ... arketplace

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Lee, that Shapeways cupola is much smaller than 1/16. I bought it last year and had to discard it as it did not fit a 1/16 M3 turret size and the level of details is low. It’s even too small for the downsized Vandra kit turret. Components from various vendors should still blend in together well and have similar level of details. Otherwise, It looks weird.
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Thanks Lmcq... I won’t push the button on the cupola then..
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Up above, I promised to list some books on the M3. I did not have many, but for a few, see: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=31999
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Danke, Herr Doktor Professor.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”