Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thinking about connectors, that could be of practical use with tank smokers, aquarium fittings seem a good bet- as they tend frequently to use the same 4mm (internal diameter) clear PVC tubing we use.
However, as I've already used some 4mm styrene tubing to link the fishtail exhausts to the rear panel, it occurred to me, I could make my own angled connectors... o- It's also boring waiting for bits to arrive, and these would add to the overall bill. :/
The exhaust outlets I sawed off the base of the rear plate, were bonded in the revised M4 position, using 4mm styrene tubes:
The problem, then, was the kinking in the tubes- even with the metal 'stiffeners' added:

So..............

Voila1 They're also a perfect fit push-fit inside the stock smoker tubing! Now, I shall add some extra bonding around the join (epoxy) just for added strength.

In the meantime, I've assembled the model- very loosely- just to get an idea of how things are progressing. I'm still waiting fro the new slimline HL speaker to arrive, as well as the Woz Shapeways twin air filters for the rear panel. It's only when I've fitted those, that I'll know where to fit the master 'on/off' switch- as discretely as possible, of course.!
I filled all the holes vacated by standoff screws, and the floor-based power switch, with Milliput standard.

I've also fitted twin fire extinguishers in the meantime, using the diagrams from Tamiya's 1/48 M4 1c as a guide. Yes, there'll be lots of painting and weathering yet- then all the tools to add... but..it's beginning to look like something, at long last. The Upper hull will probably be linked to the lower by magnets, eventually. For the moment, it's just good old gravity...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy!
Looking Grand! I do love a Good Sherman!
Following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Almost majestic looking out over the land.!
Lovely job Mr 43rd
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Painless and HB! :wave: ...and yes, I count myself very lucky to have virtually uninterrupted 360 deg panoramic views in my own 'tank park'. With hindsight, the gun travel lock now looks way too big; but I'll leave it anyway. In the future, if it catches the eye too often, I'll find- or make- something more in scale. :D
The Woz-designed air filters turned up last night, and so they'll be the final addition to the rear plate, just to add a tad more 'authenticity.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

Wow, and here I thought that this would be a quick, simple build! Shows how little I knew about the complexities between the different Sherman patterns! :/ The end results are very satisfying however! :clap: I can't wait to see it fully weathered and detailed out!

I must say that the Firefly is my favorite flavor of Sherman to be had. I'm fascinated by their matches with their heavier German foes. I've always wanted to find a book that detailed the one on one matches between these machines but have never had any luck.

At any rate, that is one fine looking Firefly! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:43rdRR,

Wow, and here I thought that this would be a quick, simple build! Shows how little I knew about the complexities between the different Sherman patterns! :/ The end results are very satisfying however! :clap: I can't wait to see it fully weathered and detailed out!

I must say that the Firefly is my favorite flavor of Sherman to be had. I'm fascinated by their matches with their heavier German foes. I've always wanted to find a book that detailed the one on one matches between these machines but have never had any luck.

At any rate, that is one fine looking Firefly! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
:D Thanks!. Yes, there's really nothing simple at all about converting the M4A3 into an M4 1c Firefly; not if it's going to look remotely like a 'consensus' Firefly- one which ticks most of the major features boxes.
The most celebrated encounter between the Firefly and the Tiger 1, was that in which Michael Wittmann was killed. Firefly gunner, Trooper Joe Ekins, of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry, knocked out three of the Tigers In Wittmann's group of five, in one encounter. Wittmann's tank is now acknowledged to have been KO'd by a Firefly belonging to the Canadian Sherbrooke Fusiliers, in the same encounter.
I think this would qualify as a good example of what the 17 Pounder could do to a Tiger, in the right hands.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is pretty much the final arrangement of components in the hull. The power switch has been moved from the floor, and the water risk, to the rear panel. The angled connectors for the smoker have been bolstered around the joint with Milliput (now rock-hard), just in case the bonding should weaken.
All that's needed now will be the new slimline HL speaker. It will be fixed to the wall opposite the battery, using double-sided tape. Then, the Woz-designed air intakes will be fixed to the rear panel, either side of the fishtail exhaust outlets.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looks great! Lovely attention to detail.

The only thing I don’t like is the wrong choice of gun travel lock ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:problem:
Ad Lav wrote:Looks great! Lovely attention to detail.

The only thing I don’t like is the wrong choice of gun travel lock ;)
Hmmm...well, that puts pressure on me to change it in the future, Adam. However, I want to finish everything else, and get it running, before I get into 'revisions'. :D
I should have done a little more research before diving in. :|
I might retain the existing brackets, and scratch-make one out of styrene.
I've looked everywhere- well, the usual sources from Christian through to Haya, and it's only the Mato sylye lock on offer- the one I fitted, in other words.
As a last throw of the dice, I looked at Axel's, and he has one Schumo-made example for the Tamiya M4 (105). It looks a closer match...
I think I shall order it :thumbup:
If only Tamiya had made a 1/16 scale M4 1c..... :/ :/ my pockets would have emptied with greater satisfaction, :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I must be a complete nutter. I've been a regular customer of Axel's for some years now, but the postal charges for mailing this part from Germany are twice the cost of the item!..and yet I still bought it.... what a twit. How can they possibly charge three times as much as they used to, to post an item of negligible weight, and proportions? Absolutely Crazy. >:<
I thought US charges were stratospheric, but these would take the part to Mars!...

Now that I've calmed down, I should add that's not Axel's fault, but Deutsche Post's. I've noticed that on Ebay (since Brexit) some German vendors are charging 1/4 of what I had to pay to get this gun lock. How can they manage it, whilst Deutsche Post seems to be doing a Highwayman "Stand, and deliver!"... routine >:<

Anyway, for those of you who might be interested in the trying M4A3 conversion to M4 Ic- welded (my tip: forget it!! :haha: )... I'm using this Tamiya diagram for the 1/48 M4 1c. for guidance:

I like the fact, that Tamiya produce a special tool to enable the builder to get just the right angle for the barrel travel lock!. That's neat. ;)

Return to “Heng Long Builds”