Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:It’s just happy to see you!
a "Is that a bulgin' hatch on your glacis, or are ya just happy to see me?.." Mae West ref? :) ;)

To answer your question, Mick. I was going to buy the shroud/hatch combo that Woz has in his Shapeways listings; but found that the profile- for the IDF Sherman- ain't quite the right match for the M4 Ic.
So..... with very great care, and a variety of sharp tools, I excised the hoods from the resin hull, and bonded them to the HL hull. In the long run, it will make life a lot easier, as the HL hull is already equipped- in the main- for the electronic bits and bobs. What's more, the Turret will be a perfect fit for it. Adam would have had a good 'I don't effing believe it!!!" day trying to fit the HL turret to the Tamiya hull. @)
The HL turret aperture diameter is 89mm. The Tamiya hull aperture is 100mm!! 8O
Later on, I might flog the Tamiya hull, and some other surplus Sherman bits- so watch out for that. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

One of the hardest parts about scratch-building scale models- or remaking RTR examples, is scale integrity.
I'm doing some weld lines currently, and find it necessary to downscale them after application. The Tamiya hull has the best weld lines, out of the mould, for the Sherman, I think.
In any event, I also bagged a resin tank commander (The Nigel Mansell look-alike) for the Firefly. But- unless my eyes are deceiving me- Capt. Mansell is the size of Captain Hurricane, from the old 'Valiant' comic!! :O
Something's gone wrong with the scale here. Either the tank's too small, or Captain Mansell- er...now... Hurricane, is around 8 ft tall! Even the German's probably on steroids, and 6'6""!! Look:
Yes, he's missing a hand currently, and also needs filling and sanding.
However, if anyone can remember Captain Hurricane, and his barrel bending raging furies you'll see what I mean about scale.
By the way, I suppose I had better say that the way he speaks, doesn't reflect 'modern values'. :/ So...any 'snowflakes' out there had better look away! :problem: :haha:
Capt. Hurricane vs the Italians:
and, against the Japanese:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

GOLD !!!

Figures ?......................like a crappy darts player...............never know what you'll get. :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I won't pretend I can follow all the details of variance across the manufacturers or models but it's wonderful work 43rd.

It has occurred to me that with such an array of versions and details throughout the Sherman's history, along with the 'one off' ad hoc modifications applied in the field, one could, with some justification, present a case for a great number of versions ? Of course, there are clearly the more fundamental examples of divergence, such as you tackle here (e.g. glacis plate angles and rear hull) which need to be decided more decisively if history is to be properly preserved.
Hence, I'm not sure whether this makes it easier or harder for the scratch builder/rebuilder, or whether I'm missing the point of the exercise altogether!

Regardless, the attention you pay to such details here is marvelous. As for Cpt. Hurricane - well, he does seem rather disproportionate to say the least! :crazy: However, those German commander figures (I have a couple of similar) do appear a little on the small side too compared to others - maybe he needs more spinach!! :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Dr Phibes wrote:I won't pretend I can follow all the details of variance across the manufacturers or models but it's wonderful work 43rd.

It has occurred to me that with such an array of versions and details throughout the Sherman's history, along with the 'one off' ad hoc modifications applied in the field, one could, with some justification, present a case for a great number of versions ? Of course, there are clearly the more fundamental examples of divergence, such as you tackle here (e.g. glacis plate angles and rear hull) which need to be decided more decisively if history is to be properly preserved.
Hence, I'm not sure whether this makes it easier or harder for the scratch builder/rebuilder, or whether I'm missing the point of the exercise altogether!

Regardless, the attention you pay to such details here is marvelous. As for Cpt. Hurricane - well, he does seem rather disproportionate to say the least! :crazy: However, those German commander figures (I have a couple of similar) do appear a little on the small side too compared to others - maybe he needs more spinach!! :haha:
Thanks, Doc, for the eloquent assessment of the scale issue, and the bewildering array of mods and 'models' within the M4 Sherman's history.
I've just picked out the most salient Ic features, from the literature, and Tamiya's M4 Ic (1/48), in order to cobble a passable airsoft Firefly together.
The Tamiya German commander is probably a decent size, and isn't in need of an infusion of Popeye's green stuff; whereas the Mansell/Hurricane figure appears to have been on steroids, since he made an appearance on Tom's Cromwell- or growth hormone. :O
Have a look here. He appears to be the right size on Tom's Cromwell, yet mine (also from the same source, I believe) appears to be 8Ft tall 8O Must be from a different resin batch :/
phpBB [video]
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

43rdRecceReg wrote: The Tamiya German commander is probably a decent size, and isn't in need of an infusion of Popeye's green stuff; whereas the Mansell/Hurricane figure appears to have been on steroids, since he made an appearance on Tom's Cromwell- or growth hormone. :O
Have a look here. He appears to be the right size on Tom's Cromwell, yet mine (also from the same source, I believe) appears to be 8Ft tall 8O Must be from a different resin batch
You have certainly touched on a problem I'm regularly encountering 43rd - I.e. scale reduction (and my eyes 8O ). To add a little 'life' to the picture, so to speak, I bought one of the Walterson US tank crew figures a while back but when put it against my M36 he just appeared so big. He wasn't (I measured) but he just seemed that way. Then I realized he looked bigger or smaller depending on where I placed him (so I stuffed him under the tank and he looked really small then, he he :haha: ). I have a similar problem with painting and it seems to me scale reduction is often under estimated. It's a case of, as you suggest I think, getting it to 'look right'.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, scale issues can create an almost Escher'- like visual paradoxes :crazy:
Still, onward and upward.
Having nothing to quite smooth out the 3D printed air intake, on the engine deck- I hit on the idea of bonding 0.2mm styrene to the filter, using superglue. It gives an instantly smooth finish to flat, or slightly curved. surfaces. :)

Nest,

I gave the deck a coat of acrylic primer, as much to highlight areas needing further attention, as to preparing it for coats of SCC 13 British Olive Drab.

Luckily, the weather gods provided Sun, and a day free of the vicious westerlies we've had of late.

I've ordered metal Mato lifting handles, front and rear lights + metal light guards (better than the HL plastic ones), a travel lock, and a set of metal tools. Having beefed all the other bits up, it would be folly not to toughen up the accessories as well.
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c21/Sherman.html
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Always looks better under a coat of primer, ties everything together.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Love your work as usual Roy.

Have you considered putting the bolt heads on the rear hull vents?

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thanks for the reply Roy :thumbup:
I thought they didn't look like the shapeways ones, and suspiciously like Dean's.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”