Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
quitcherbitchen
Private

Re: Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by quitcherbitchen »

Very impressive work. Just wondering what kind of tools everyone uses for cutting and shaping the styrene? I see some cutters there that look like a Tamiya type tool. What tools would you deem absolutely necessary for a Noob tanker like me? I am not new to modelling or static kits, but I never really fabricated anything in this much fine detail on my planes other then cockpits at this scale. Also, I bet you could probably teach the sheep to IR battle but that might take more time then building the models. I am certain that their tactics would be quite unpredictable. LOL
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

quitcherbitchen wrote:Very impressive work. Just wondering what kind of tools everyone uses for cutting and shaping the styrene? I see some cutters there that look like a Tamiya type tool. What tools would you deem absolutely necessary for a Noob tanker like me? I am not new to modelling or static kits, but I never really fabricated anything in this much fine detail on my planes other then cockpits at this scale. Also, I bet you could probably teach the sheep to IR battle but that might take more time then building the models. I am certain that their tactics would be quite unpredictable. LOL
I was thinking of posting something on the tools I find truly indispensable (including the Tamiya Plastic Scriber). If you watch this space, I'll assemble all those that make working with styrene a pleasure, rather than a pain. Maybe tomorrow. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
quitcherbitchen
Private

That would be very helpful. thank you
Heng Long Panzer III
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

With styrene I have found that a good sharp xacto type knife and metal ruler is still the best tool to cut it unless you go up to a small table saw like I have, but that saw was for thicker material. Trick is, light cut first. Let the knife make an initial cut with light pressure. On really thin material that is the only cut you need to make in order to snap the styrene apart. On thicker material, make multiple light passes. The harder you press, the higher the chance of moving off the ruler when cutting or having the ruler slip. You can always clamp the ruler on top of your material using your benchtop to keep it from moving.

The other tool I tried to live without, but eventually bought was a thin beam metal L shaped square. Micro Mark has a really nice one that has a shallow lip that is great for styrene: https://www.micromark.com/Thin-Beam-Square

So to sum up the bare minimum I would use is an Xacto knife, square, clamps, Dremel (of your choice), and metal ruler. I have a whole host of full sized wood working machines in the garage if the small ones below can't handle the job.

Personally I love adding the table saw for material up to 1/4" thick:

https://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/37006.php

And a small sander (shop around as I paid much less for this exact model):

And a small chop saw:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini ... 62136.html
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

quitcherbitchen wrote:That would be very helpful. thank you
Thanks to Tankme for his take on tools. For me, these are the ones that make 'plastic surgery' possible. In no particular order from L-R, they are:
-Safety ruler (if you don't want to saw any precious digits off)
-Tamiya scalpel holder (also takes fine saw blades)
-x-acto saw and alternate blades
-Trumpeter razor saw (also has alternate blades)
-woodworking chisels (including curved and fluted profiles)
-Tamiya Scriber (used for cutting sheets of styrene accurately)
-Engineer's square (I have several. Essential for bonding styrene at right angles etc.,)
-set of miniature files (various profiles)
-set of palette knives (for applying filler, and Milliput etc..)
-Tamiya side cutters for trimming plastic and sprues
-Set of sharp chisels in a variety of cutting profiles
-Sanding sticks (normally used by manicurists ;) )
Precision hole cutter.
Of course, you can add Wet and Dry, a Dremel and more to the list (Dremel certainly saves calories and elbow grease); but with a selection of these- and a decent cement- you can really shape styrene. The trick is to shape it into something recognisable- and I don't always succeed :lolno: These tools work on most plastics and resin; but for resin, the use of a mask is pretty much a MUST.
There's not much daylight here today, in the far North- it's totally overcast, in fact- so apologies for the lack of crispness in the pics. Hope the tips help! More experienced modellers will doubtless add their tips; but that's my two penn'orth, as the old saying goes. :D :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
quitcherbitchen
Private

Thank you for all of your input. I own most of what you pictured except the safety ruler, scriber, and side cutter which I assume is better then wire cutters. I also own a dremel which I use a lot. Dropped it plenty of times too. These post should be in some sort of sticky for Noobies. I'll try and pick up the safety ruler before I do something like one of the other people did in a thread by cutting his hand. Ouch!
Heng Long Panzer III
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Yeah, I have all that stuff also. I think my razor saw is a God send. Not sure how I live so long with out it. I use it all the time now that I have it. I don't have a Tamiya scriber, but I can see a use for it. Might have to pick one up. I've done some scribing with the cheap dental picks I picked up on a whim, but that scriber looks much better.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tankme wrote:Yeah, I have all that stuff also. I think my razor saw is a God send. Not sure how I live so long with out it. I use it all the time now that I have it. I don't have a Tamiya scriber, but I can see a use for it. Might have to pick one up. I've done some scribing with the cheap dental picks I picked up on a whim, but that scriber looks much better.
The scriber is my default tool for slicing through styrene sheets, in a straight line. The safety ruler, used in tandem with it, negates the option to slice through my fingertips- with equal ease :D :thumbup:
My favourite bonding agent for said slices, when adding them to a build, is Revell Contacta Pro. I especially like the needle-proportioned dispensing tube that comes with it. It works like a fine syringe, permitting the user to get cement into all the right places (not on the hands, clothes, the dog, and partner's fine furnishings :shh: ). I also like Tamiya's cement and ABS cement.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

I see i'm missing many "tools of the trade". My Father has always said "you can never have too many tools". Actually, it was " a place for every tool, and a tool in every place"! :D

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:43rdRR,

I see i'm missing many "tools of the trade". My Father has always said "you can never have too many tools". Actually, it was " a place for every tool, and a tool in every place"! :D

Cheers,
Eric.
Given time, Eric (and motivation, of course) you will acquire them- or, they will acquire you :thumbup:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”