Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just for the sake of variety, and because I've had some M4 Firefly bits nagging from the shelves, for years :problem: :D I found a budget V6 wired Airsoft turret lately at dear old Forgebear's, and that persuaded me that an airsoft Firefly turret would be a good first stage in a Firefly build. (Though after this, I'm dragging myself back to the Comet's trickier project: the installation of the hull's electronic components, and a traverse motor.

These are some of the pics I'm using for reference, as well as Dean's amazing kit bits.
Here we have the Airsoft turret, and the shape it's (fingers crossed) going to morph into. Rivet Counter standards will not be observed; but I am aiming for something that ticks the 'at first glance' Firefly box. :D
If you're wondering why I'm not going for Airsoft/IR with the resin turret, the answers simple: the ABS (?) unit has all the Airsoft and IT bits installed already. Thus, changes are mostly cosmetic. There are some structural changes to be aware of.
The first stage, is to remove the BB chute (sort of magazine loader), as well as the sizeable elevation unit. Then, I bagged up all the internals, to keep 'em dust and shavings free.

Next, a shroud is needed for the Loader's hatch. I also used the Dremel to level off the moulded features of the existing hatch. The idea is to use the hatch, and the existing hinge for the new, more rectangular-shaped hatch.

Time for the trusty Trumpeter razor saw. There's a surplus vent on the bustle that has to go, and in sawing out the all-vision commander's cupola, it's necessary to remember that two of the three moulded-in mounting posts will also be excised (more of that later.

I used the following pics to make the hatch and radio box
The bustle stays as is: that's one bit of plastic surgery, so to speak, I'm not going to perform :lolno:
Box beginnings:

More later. Time for a hair of the...no, not dog... Buffalo ;) 8O :lolno:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by BarryC »

Good show! :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah..that's better..hic... :D
A pic that should have preceded the last one. It's not only eggs that get scrambled sometimes. ;)

The split hatch Commander's hatch has been bonded in place with Milliput. It would be nice to have it rotate, like the real thing, but that's for someone else. Beneath the hatch will be a mounting point for the elevation unit (eventually) and a perch for a commander figure. Maybe the one that looks like Nigel Mansell. :thumbup:
I intend to make a stop/support bracket for the Loaders' Hatch. Metal seems the best option (waste strips from metal sprues).
Here's Dean's nicely made mantlet. I excised the IT LED/IR sensor mounting shroud from the HL mantlet, and bonded it into the resin one. Later, I found I had to move it slightly to the left, just above the mantlet mounting point, in order to avoid fouling the turret.
This is how it was fitted originally, in the HL mantlet:
testing the fit...nearly there.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

BarryC wrote:Good show! :clap:

Barry
Thanks, Barry. and cheers, old boy!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Making a shroud for the Brit 2in (?) bomb-thrower/ smoke grenade launcher:
This was quite fiddly. I used scale styrene (cut at an angle) for the mortar/bomb-thrower itself
Fitted (jumping the gun here, so to speak), it looks like this.

Of course, there will be a lot of filling, surfacing (Mr Surfacer), and tweaking to come.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I had to sand the gun aperture in the mantlet slightly, but otherwise, the cannon fits in quite well. For the moment, I'm wary of shoving it all the way into the airsoft unit until the internal fittings are all screwed back in place.
here, there's just a dab of primer to illustrate progress, and areas needing filling, sanding etc. I also want to add some casting letters like the ones on Dean's amazing resin version.
...and that's it for the moment. Time to go for a 'swim' with the dogs (it's raining like the biblical flood here right now: it's Storm 'Bella') :O
I did see this old Firefly turret on the most unusual of mountings. I thought at first I must be hallucinating... 8O
Walkies, followed by Christmas slurpies :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Best wishes to all, and all the best to Shaun (Jarndice) in hospital. :thumbup:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That turret is coming along a treat Roy, nice work :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Model Builder 4 wrote:That turret is coming along a treat Roy, nice work :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Thanks, Lee. It's just a start- but has relieved some of that nagging frustration those sidelined projects can plague you with... :D I'm sure you've had the feeling :D

Hope you're having a good Christmas, :thumbup: despite the Microbial Grim Reaper having a wonderful time around the globe.
Have fun to spite it :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Can't do the applique armour until a new supply of Plasticard turns up. Still, I've now reattached the Commander's perch/floor, which is normally a moulded part of the All-vision later cupola, and also- crucially- provides two of the three (internal) mounting points for the elevation unit. Providing a solid mounting base for the elevation unit, completes the interior modifications needed for the Airsoft/IR Firefly, and it's a fix that can't be overlooked. ;)
I screwed the Elevation mounting/perch back in place from inside, and then bonded it to the cupola with trusty old Milliput. It should provide a rock-solid foundation when it sets. Yes, you can see from the pic, that I have a lot of sanding, filling, and 'Mr Surfacing' to do, to get the turret looking like a casting. But now that the interior is complete, I can concentrate on the exterior features and fittings.
Perch/Mounting after being excised from old cupola/turret roof. The two mounting points are for the Elevation unit.
This is where the unit usually sits:
..and here it is, fixed in place with Milliput...
That's it for a few days. I'm going to concentrate on 'faking' a great Christmas with a few hedonistic indulgencies: mince pies, wine, 'Scandi-noir' boxsets, fave War flicks, nut roast; Yorkshire puddings (love 'em); onion gravy, broccoli, sprouts (and the subsequent 'Methane Man' impressions); Cranberry stuffing- and more. Hope you're all also enjoying
a bit of self-indulgence/family indulgence in this, the crappiest of all years I can remember. :thumbup: :wave:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

As a consolation for this really, really big turd of a year, your turret is coming along superbly! :thumbup: :clap: :wave: Watching along with rapt attention!

Have a hopefully decent ending to this year!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”