Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Project: V6.0 Airsoft and IR Firefly Turret

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

After a bit of tidying up, the new gun-lock scales in nicely. Although it moves, it won't actually be used in 'field trials' when I get around to them. I think resin is a tad too fragile. :think:
Next up, will be fitting mesh covers to the grouser vents (below); painting and adding tools, and then making some barrel-cleaning rods from scratch, as well. Maybe.
I don't think I'll be adding much in the way of 'travel' add ons; jerry cans. ammo boxes, tarps, and so on. :problem: I want the minimalist 'ready for 'action' look.
Decals will be added soon: the 'T' number and regimental 'tacsigns' etc.

I also found some useful, and hitherto unseen pics (by me, anyway), on this website:
http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m4sher ... 4(105)REAR
A couple of examples here:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Much better travel lock - apologies for throwing a spanner in the works!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Much better travel lock - apologies for throwing a spanner in the works!!
:haha: Nae bother, Adam! It bugged from the instant I fitted that Mato one, which was, after all, intended for the front of an M4A3. I knew its hours, not days, were numbered. :thumbup:
I might use the expensive Schumo unit on a Torro pro 'metal' version of the M4A3 I have (the one that comes with its own sarcophagus, metal hull, and metal turret).
I've yet to find a pic of any M4 Ic Fireflies with a travel lock mounted at the front. Some have mounting brackets, but not the arm. It wouldn't have been a good engineering solution anyway, on real Fireflies, as the barrel would stick out too far- and could possibly have proved a hazard in convoys, for any soft-skinned vehicles in front that happened to brake suddenly :O :crazy: :wave:
One's enough for me, anyway.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just a couple of additional bits sorted. Still needing a dab of paint, and maybe a wee bit of rust- the Grouser vent mesh cover...
Then I saw some barrel cleaners, and decided to make some using the dimensions from the Tamiya 1c, and general layout from FineScale Modeler and elsewhere.
I already had some styrene tubing of the right relative size, and some scale bolts.
This is the first coat. All the edges and details will be done when this lot has dried.
It's meant to resemble this sort of arrangement:
...but without the tarp, that is.
The rods I'm making are following this pattern:
The Firefly 1c had only three longs rods, as far as I can tell, but the basic design was probably the same.
Here's another take on the rods from Britmodeller; a beautifully conceived and executed welded Firefly Ic, by 'Bullbasket'

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... lded-hull/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Your rods look good Roy :thumbup:
We always see the rods, but what went on the end for actual cleaning?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Your rods look good Roy :thumbup:
We always see the rods, but what went on the end for actual cleaning?
Something like this, Mick...
Cannon bore cleaner
Cannon bore cleaner
Bore cleaners have looked pretty much like this for centuries, but it's very difficult to find one specifically for the Firefly- real, or even in close-up scale model form. :think:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Added some decals, finished painting the cleaning rods, and fixed them in place. Next, I'll add the remaining decals and all the remaining tools...
I've also managed to get the upper hull sitting on the lower hull properly. Working out an arrangement for magnetic retainers will probably come last of all. :problem:
The decals are from the superb set supplied by Dean :thumbup:
Having lately discovered the dead-eye Deadeye (Mc)Dick antics of Sgt. Harris, and his gunner, McKillop, in their lethal Firefly. I shall give this M4 1c the identity of a tank of the 4/7 Royal Dragoon Guards. By a happy coincidence (for me, anyway), this regiment supported the 43rd Infantry Division in post-Normandy campaigns. :D ).

There's still a long way to go with this project, but I'm happy with the progress so far, (even if a lot of boxes will remain unticked, for the purists.. :D :shh: )...
I'll have some bits to sell off later.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now, the decals have been added- there's only one remaining to do: the '51' at the front, indicating the senior regiment of the Brigade. In this instance, the markings are for the 8th Armoured Brigade, and the 4/7th Royal Dragoon Guards; the senior regiment in that brigade. The only error here is that the 'tacsign' on the turret should be red, and not yellow. I only discovered that later. Yellow tacsigns were for the 24th Lancers- a regiment that was practically destroyed in Normandy (Villers-Bocage, and other campaigns), and later disbanded. All the tools have now been fitted, although the shovel needs some sort of visible token retaining bracket. The one for the big spanner, on the rear panel, was made from beaten copper wire (domestic wiring).

Once I added some clear lacquer/varnish, I'll do a bit of aging and weathering on the lower hull. I may also make some of the angle-brackets of the type used on the front to retain stores, tarpaulins, and boxes. Other than that, the exterior is pretty well complete. :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

After a clear coat (Tamiya spray lacquer), I added some Tamiya accent line washes. Maybe I'll add a few touches from my Tamiya Weathering Masters, otherwise, the exterior is pretty much complete now. I only have to finish connecting the interior electronic components up to the MFU, and then I can begin a few trials. I'll also have to fit some magnets, to keep the upper and lower sections in a happy marriage. :D

I don't know what the weather's like where you are, but we had three inches of 'Spring' here last night. We've had more snow here in the last week, than in the last three Winters combined. 'Global warming' begins to sound- and look- like an oxymoron. :/ Still, by now (mid-afternoon) most of this fluffy lot has now melted away. More due tomorrow, however.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Awesome tank modeling and awesome snow scene! Your painting and detailing really make this tank come to life my friend! I wish I had your patience.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”